NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-23-2024, 01:23 AM
Charles Jackson

Default Tuesday Trivia: Earliest Top 10 HOF Ballot No-Go

Every player that appeared in the top 10 in voting on the first 15 HOF ballots is now in the HOF. But on the 16th ballot, a player appeared in the top 10 that has never been elected. Name the first player to appear in the top 10 on a HOF ballot to not be elected. (Please do not look up the answer)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:44 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Every player that appeared in the top 10 in voting on the first 15 HOF ballots is now in the HOF. But on the 16th ballot, a player appeared in the top 10 that has never been elected. Name the first player to appear in the top 10 on a HOF ballot to not be elected. (Please do not look up the answer)
I don't believe Hal Chase was ever officially banned from baseball so I'll guess him. Also, Landis was no longer commissioner, 16 years after the first HOF ballots (I assume 1936.) The Judge might have nixed Prince Hal being on the ballot.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:47 AM
Charles Jackson

Hal Chase is an excellent guess, but he never cracked the top 10. He is the highest person on the first ballot in 1936 not to be in the HOF at number 25. and was 22 on the list the following year, but was dropped from the ballot thereafter.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Hank Gowdy? I’m not sure if he was top 10 but he got awfully high in the 50’s votes and was a popular candidate at about the right time.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:39 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Hank Gowdy? I’m not sure if he was top 10 but he got awfully high in the 50’s votes and was a popular candidate at about the right time.
Correct! Hank Gowdy came in 10th place on the 1955 BBWAA (35.9%) ballot and 10th the following year (25.4%).

Gowdy is known for a few things:

1) He was a star in the Boston Braves' "miracle" 1914 season. The Braves had won only 69 games in 1913 and won just 3 of their first 20 games in 1914, but managed to win 94 games and force a World Series with the heavily favored and defending Champion Athletics. As recounted by SABR, Gowdy went 3-for-3 with a single, a double, and a triple, and he and first-baseman Butch Schmidt, the two slowest men on the team, executed a successful double steal to help win Game 1. In Game 3, Gowdy led off the tenth inning with a blast into the center-field bleachers for the Series' only HR, igniting a rally that tied the score. In the 12th Gowdy got his third hit and second double of the game, a bullet to left field. Running for him, Les Mann scored the winning run on a wild throw. In the Game 4 finale, Gowdy went 3-for-4, giving him a .545 average for the Series. Perhaps as a result of his stellar postseason performance at the plate, the new nickname of “Hammering Hank” appeared in the press the following season, becoming the first MLB player to have the moniker, of course followed by Hank Greenberg and Hank Aaron.

2) Gowdy was the first MLB player to enlist in WW1. Again from SABR The United States entered World War I in April, and on June 1 (during a rain delay) "Gowdy became the first active major leaguer to enlist, joining the Ohio National Guard. (Eddie Grant had enlisted in April, but he had retired as a player.) The big catcher reported for duty six weeks later and was overseas by early 1918. Gowdy served with distinction in the famed Rainbow Division, so-named by General Pershing because it had the uncanny luck of being surrounded by rainbows during the heavy combat it faced. Arriving in the Lorraine region of France in March, Gowdy endured trench warfare in its most brutal sense as the Germans made their fierce last effort to overrun the Allies on the Western Front. He carried the colors for the Fighting 42nd and returned to the United States a genuine hero, as popular in Boston as the mayor himself."

3) Gowdy was the goat (in a bad way) of the 1924 World Series at Griffith Stadium vs. Washington. In the 12th inning of Game Seven, with one out and no one on, Washington’s Muddy Ruel popped up a routine fall ball, but after Gowdy tore off his mask and tossed it to the ground, he promptly stepped in it (literally and figuratively). “I thought my foot was being held in a bear trap,” he later recalled. Gowdy staggered around and couldn’t reach the ball. Given new life, Ruel doubled and later scored the winning run of the Series. Sportswriters, calculating the winning team’s share, called Gowdy’s misfortune “a $50,000 muff.”

After retirement, Gowdy went on to coach for the Giants and the Cincinnati Reds during the 1930s, then joined the army as a major in World War II, becoming the chief athletic officer at Fort Benning, Georgia, where the baseball diamond is now called Hank Gowdy Field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HankGowdy.jpg (79.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

738 career hits. WTF.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

He doesn't belong and shouldn't have got that support, but I imagine many of the votes were for being a war hero, popular guy, and long-time coach. Really interesting life, I like picking up his cards.