NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default 1st March Pickups Thread

Posted By: Mark

Thought I would start a new Pickup thread for March... especially with a "killer" Hunt Auction upcoming! The recently concluded Mastro Auction wasn't much for memorabilia, but I did manage to pick up this piece (to match my Heubach Pitcher...)

[linked image]

And I just acquired this high quality Reed & Barton Trophy from Ebay, with a Buy It Now (a real oldie from 1904...)

[linked image]

edited scan size

Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat

Here are a few programs I just received today in the mail that both have the theme of a pitchers major league debut.

The first is a 1908 New York Highlanders (Yankees) program that I acquired in a trade from a fellow collector. It is from the April 18th game against the Washington Senators. Taking the mound for the Senators that day and making his major league debut was rookie pitcher Sleepy Bill Burns who later would be made infamous in his role in the 1919 Black Sox conspiracy. Program is neatly scored inside for his debut and he is noted on the cover as the starting pitcher.

The second program came from a pair of 1955 Braves programs I found. Upon reviewing the score grid I was able to identify it as a game played on June 24, 1955 versus the Dodgers. Making his major league debut as a relief pitcher is Sandy Koufax. The young rookie was so new to the team; he didnt even appear among the listing of substitute players. The original owner of the program penciled him as among the relief pitchers in the scoring section when he took the mound in the 5th inning for his major league debut. Of interesting note, the original owner of this program, likely a Braves fan and not familiar with this young rookie for the Dodgers who was not printed in the scorecard, wrote his name phonetically as Cofax probably after the announcer at County Stadium introduced him to the crowd when he took the mound and noted his uniform # as 32. The Braves scoring section is also neatly scored correctly showing Hank Aaron hitting his 25th career homerun and Eddie Mathews hitting his career #118. A tremendous historical program I was extremely lucky to find.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

A few new arrivals-
Wilson sporting goods sign
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Reach easel back sign w/ Dimaggio

And lastly, 1920s 'Giants' Spalding uniform

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Hart

Nice pick ups! The trophy is nice with the bat.

Brock.. How big is the Reach sign? I've never seen that sign before. If you ever want to part with it, let me know

Matt

Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

c1890 SWIMMING POCKET WATCH
2 3/4" Diameter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290297815011
I usually wait till I receive stuff before posting new pickups...but pretty excited about this piece I got tonight on eBay, link above....The seller, who's a friend, thinks it's Italian, and I think he's right...I think I see a Luigi's pizza sign in the distance!!....I was about to pass if they were nude, I couldn't tell from the photos...but Tom the seller said they all have on old fashion men's bathing suits..and that the detail is exceptional and they all have beards and moustaches...You can't beat eBay for bottom fishing...If this was at an antiques show It would proably be priced 5 or 6 times what I gave....if someone can show me a better swimming pocket watch anywhere in the world I'd like to see it...Anyone care to guess what I'd have had to give were it baseball?
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Some awesome pickups post above, very nice stuff. Here are a couple of my recent pickups. First is a pencil box, that shows a football player and a football scene, as well as the colors/shields of University of Pennsylvania and Princeton. Second, is a pair of turn of the century reeded shin guards.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

This is my second National League scorebook (scorebook for the entire National League for the entire year) featuring the Detroit Wolverines. This one was issued by Mabley Co. (& the Detroit Free Press) covering the 1887 season. The other one was issued by the Detroit Tribune and covers the 1888 season. Both are complete, in excellent shape, and unscored. I like the player portraits in the Mabley / Free Press example while the Detroit Tribune has neat biographies on each of the players together with game-by-game account of the previous years Championship (Detroit won the World Championship against St. Louis Browns).

Here are a couple pages from the 1887 book.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I can't say I remember seeing these for other teams. Please share some scans if you have a similar item (even if it's not a new pick-up).

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat

Nice pick-up Joe. That is an outstanding piece. It is the earliest one I have ever seen in that particular format.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Knowledge is power! Which is why I won this at a local estate auction for $10. The auctioneer didn't know what team it was and neither did anyone in attendance except me I guess. 1961 Lincoln Chiefs team signed ball.

1961 Lincoln Chiefs team signed

Also got this in the mail yesterday.

1895 Omaha

1895 Omaha reverse

Old 03-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Joe G... that is too cool for words.
I don't think I have ever seen one.

great item!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Joe G, that sked is crazy fab. I must say those woodcut portraits look awfully like those on the "Baseball Currency" issues of the same period.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Some impressive pick ups so far! This just got back from the frame shop.
Matt
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Well...I am very pleased with the end result of this framing job. Now I need to re-design my entire office in order to fit it on the wall...ha ha.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Mike.
Looks great!
Matt

Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Good lookin stuff Matt and Mike. Hey Mike, if you dont have room for that big framed Tigers pennant anymore I'll be happy to take it off your hands. And I'll only charge you the cost of shipping. Can't beat that deal!
The cubbies pennant really looks great though. Museum quality for sure.

Tuxedo sign looks great as well Matt. And to answer your question about the Reach sign I posted it measures 10"x20".

Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Good looking frame jobs fellas.

Matt, where did you find the Tuxedo sign?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Dan, that Omaha cabinet is sick!, I've watched your many pick-ups and would have to say that is my favorite. I really like the layout on the back in red ink, Heyn did a fantastic job on that cabinet.

Joseph, about the Detroit Wolverine woodcuts, they are very similar to the baseball currency but not the same. The baseball currency portraits are based on Tomlinson Studio cabinets (only the Detroit team), circa 1887. I've studied known Detroit Wolverine portraits in suit-and-tie from other studios (Randall, Arthur & Philbric, etc.) but cannot find a match. I do like these scorebooks. Thanks for the compliments.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky

Most recent pick ups. All are from Ebay. Collared Spalding Baseball jersey top and 2 trophies.

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

Thanks to Huggins and Scott, all I'm missing now is Dan Howley...

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Dan,
I honest;y forget where I bought the sign. I had it here for awhile hoing to get the corner restored, but just never got around to it. Finally, I got tired of it not being on the wall, so I went and got it framed so I can see it everyday.
Matt

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Just got this one in the mail today. I've been looking for one for awhile. I oiled it and wrapped some kork around it.
Matt
[linked image] [linked image]

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Wow everybody, this has to be one of the best pick-up threads I can remember.

Matt, great Cobb bat and that sign is sweet.

Clint

Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

This arrived today. Has the words "R.C. Barnes 1874'" inscribed below an image of a ball player wearing a bib-front jersey with the letter B on it. Got to be Ross Barnes of the Boston Red Stockings right?

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Picked this up on Ebay:

Original Vancouver Capilanos (Western International League) check/cheque dated 7/8/52 and signed by Capilanos general manager BOB BROWN, considered by many "the founding father of baseball in Vancouver, British Columbia".

http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?a=v&v=l&pid=16896&bid=2160

Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Great pickups guys.
I picked up the following vintage football recently.
First is a 1915 Cornell Football Champions Plate
[linked image]

Next is a 1933 Princeton Championship Trophy football, with all 9 scores of its undefeated season listed. The balls bladder is dried up, so I am going to either get a new one put in or have it filled with a filler that will never deflate.
[linked image]

Lastly, I picked up this 1930s 10 lace style vintage football.
[linked image]

Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Picked up 2 of these for $9.99. Not sure why no one else was interested

[linked image]

Chris

Capilano cheques are very cool; glad you could pick one up.

Max

Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Brock G., You just keep piling it on. That's some walking stick....at least I'm guessing a walking stick...sure ain't no bat. Looks like it came right out of an attic in Pennsylvania...very cool folk art piece, Congrats -Carlton

Old 03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

All,
Picked up this great glass slide of the football team - Crescents - which I think are out of Brooklyn. There is a handwritten reference to Princeton on the glass.

Ray

[linked image]

edited scan size

Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

This is the earliest town team photo I now own of a Nebraska team.

Oakland circa 1880

I also got these in the mail today...they are the earliest game action photos of the Lincoln minor league team I've ever come across. In fact they are the only game action photos I've ever seen from Antelope Park.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan great pick-ups. Is there anything written on the back of the automobile one pertaining to the game?

Clint

Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

I'm going to have to soak them out of the book so I don't know yet....it's situated right next to the two baseball photos with no other "event" photos around them so I'm assuming this is at the ballpark.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky

Found these at a local flea market. Neat Baseball lettermen's sweater and old 50's trophy. 2 gloves (OK brand whitlow wyatt and a wilson Andy Pafko). The Pafko glove has the interesting outward seam.

[linked image]