NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Psa 8 (st)

So is it common for a card with a small stain with all the other qualities of a PSA 8 to be designated PSA 8 (ST)???
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Yes.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default ST

I thought it stood for Stupid.

NM except for stain.
Brilliant.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Trey

"Stupid" <--- Agree completely. I have never understood qualifiers. It's a completely ridiculous and inconclusive way to grade a card. You're being told what a card would have graded if it weren't for some fault.... I always thought the point of grading was to know what the actual condition of the card is. And we're still left wondering what an 8 with a stain would grade. Is it a 4 or a 6? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by chipperhank44; 03-15-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
"Stupid" <--- Agree completely. I have never understood qualifiers. It's a completely ridiculous and inconclusive way to grade a card. You're being told what a card would have graded if it weren't for some fault.... I always thought the point of grading was to know what the actual condition of the card is. And we're still left wondering what an 8 with a stain would grade. Is it a 4 or a 6? Your guess is as good as mine.
Exactly what I think! When will they start adding PSA (C1) meaning it would be an 8 if it wasn't for the 1 soft corner?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Doug Chamberlain

I think the late George Carlin would have had fun with this ... words that shouldn't be associated with each other ... i.e. military intelligence, politically correct, property management, uh ... near mint o/c.
Shouldn't they be called "disqualifiers"!!
What's next ... NrMt (nc) - no corners!!!
Don't get me started...........oooppps.......too late!!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I actually like them

They give a more accurate description and many of the qualifiers were used prior to grading particularly the oc qualifier. There is none for corners/wear because that is the number one factor in determining condition all the other things usually follow off that.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Mike C@.v3

I don't hate qualifiers, but I don't really like them. My biggest pet peeve with qualifiers is a lot of people try and succeed in selling these qualified stricken cards at or near the price of their non qualified cousin. I respect what PSA was trying to do, but in the end, why not just grade the overall card without these little asterisks beside the pseudo grade?

Just not worth it IMO...
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Robert Williams

I like qualifiers. For example, when you see PSA 8 (OC), they are telling you that the card is a NM/MT card were it not for a centering shift that happened at the factory and is totally out of the cards control. It allows you to get a NM/MT card at a fraction of the price. It is not fair to give a card like that the lower grade, because they card really isn't a '6'. It has NM/MT corners, surface and edges.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Trey

Although I don't understand qualifiers at all, I can attempt to understand the "off center" and "print defect" type qualifiers because, as bobbyw8469 said, they are factory defects. But to have "stain" and "mark" as qualifiers, that's even more illogical than OC and PD. At the end of the day though, whether the factory or an owner caused the card to be in a certain condition, it is in that condition. It's like trying to get a premium for your car with hail damage because the hail damage occurred at the dealership.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I don't hate qualifiers, but I don't really like them. My biggest pet peeve with qualifiers is a lot of people try and succeed in selling these qualified stricken cards at or near the price of their non qualified cousin. I respect what PSA was trying to do, but in the end, why not just grade the overall card without these little asterisks beside the pseudo grade?

Just not worth it IMO...

Agreed
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Daryl

If any of you were selling an SGC 6 with nm-mt corners, you would describe it as "great eye appeal! Sharp corners!" PSA is just labeling the same thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Although I don't understand qualifiers at all, I can attempt to understand the "off center" and "print defect" type qualifiers because, as bobbyw8469 said, they are factory defects. But to have "stain" and "mark" as qualifiers, that's even more illogical than OC and PD. At the end of the day though, whether the factory or an owner caused the card to be in a certain condition, it is in that condition. It's like trying to get a premium for your car with hail damage because the hail damage occurred at the dealership.
I'm right there with you. I think where PSA messed up on the ST qualifier is that it includes BOTH stains caused in packaging and after the fact stains. It really should've been limited to gum and wax stains. With PD OC and many of the STs, the grade at least reflects how the card has been handled since leaving the package, while acknowledging that the card is ultimately in lesser condition due to factors outside of collector's hands.

MK and ST(for after the fact stains), probably shouldn't be used..
Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
It's no different than picking up a woman at a bar. She would be a 9 if her breath didn't smell so bad. She would be a 10 if she had a bit more upstairs.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Centering-Weenie Nightmares

I couldn't sell these fast enough , just to get them out of the house ; yet they drew a lot of bids and surprisingly-high final prices and glowing thank-yous in feedback........beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Mike Ryan

Default I love qualifiers!

This beauty is in my collection only because of the (ST). The price was right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HERZOG CJ 001.jpg (77.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg HERZOG CJ 002.jpg (79.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
This beauty is in my collection only because of the (ST). The price was right.

Unless the back stain looks much worse in hand than on the scan, giving a card that nice a "Q" is ridiculous. Nice p/u!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM
David Riley

Great Herzog IMO. I wouldn't think twice about having that card in my collection
Old 03-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Unless the back stain looks much worse in hand than on the scan, giving a card that nice a "Q" is ridiculous. Nice p/u!
I totally agree. I had to do a double take to notice.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Is it me, or do cards with qualifiers seem over graded?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I actually do like the qualifiers but usually don't buy them unless its a rare card that rarely shows up for sale. I don't really have a preference over PSA and SGC but I do prefer PSA for grades 1, 1.5, and 2 but without qualifiers. An SGC 10 graded card can span a bunch of ranges including miscuts, massive paper loss, and ink marks. I try to stay away from them and purchase only the good clean even wear cards. No matter how much we talk about it, it always comes down to buying the card and not the holder. The grade on the holder is just someone's opinion to me but my eyes are the final decision maker.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Comparing it to a hail damaged car from a dealership is so wrong. Hail damage is still not a "factory" error. The dealership is a previous owner of the car.

I love PSA qualifiers. It is the biggest reason I like PSA. I really would love to see a grading company that put two grades on the card. The two grades would be a Factory grade and a Post factory grade. This would be great for people like me that absolutely don't care about factory caused errors, paper loss and rounded corners ruin a card far more than off centering and Print defects (I do collect all low grade cards, but prefer the post factory mint cards). BVG did have the 4 grades and that was nice, but they got rid of it entirely.