NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Rea

Open online for bidding.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Dave Wilson

Wow. Wow. Wow. They certainly haven't disappointed.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:03 PM

Some serious eye candy. Might have to pick just one item to try to afford.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Floor bids are in!
Old 10-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Al Richter

I was hoping no one would out this auction
Old 10-07-2018, 05:20 AM
Jason Wells

Great auction selection by Brian and the guys! Alas, the Red Border shortage continues with just a one lot available. New cards coming up for sale are few and far between. With that said, I see about 25 items I would not mind adding and hopefully I can score something nice for my small but growing 19th century collection. Good luck to everyone bidding!
Old 10-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Kev1n @1les

It always feels like a drunken bender in Vegas when I put my initial bids in. When I look at the amount for items I'm winning, I gulp, wipe the perspiration off the top of my forehead and then root for a few of my bids to be topped.

A couple of days later when I am still the top, I start thinking about what cash is liquid, what I would need to pull from investments, and of course, how I break it to my wife. I then go into this crazy rationalization that says "well, if I get those cards for this price, I will gladly pay it!"... when then gets me back to the conversation with the MRS and how much hell there will be to pay if I win everything.

This then leads to 99% of the bids eventually being topped and usually 2-3x the amount that I put in. The auction eventually closes with me either being shut out or winning one item that was probably at the bottom of the list (or something that I already had but I thought it was a good deal) and I bemoan my floor bids not holding up.

One day, I will not go through this cycle, but, alas, it is my 2x a year (soon to be 3x) REA experience...

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'm with Kevin. I am by no means cheap but I can't seem to ever win anything in REA for what seems to me to be a strong bid. There's always someone willing to place a crazy bid. Good for the consignors and the house, no doubt.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-07-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:48 PM

For me, REA always has a handful of things you hardly ever see and/or things I really want. So, I place a ton of bids day-1, and then I reduce the want list to a top handful; sometimes they just get way too high for what I think they are worth (e.g., the very pretty (maybe undergraded) 1914 CJ Matty PSA 1). By the final day, I have my eye on a 1-4 cards, and I usually end up overpaying for a few prized pieces. I don’t mind overpaying (within reason), because the REA items I get are usually going into the vault. You most definitely do not see many “bargains”, but you can pick up many “keepers”

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-07-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
It always feels like a drunken bender in Vegas when I put my initial bids in. When I look at the amount for items I'm winning, I gulp, wipe the perspiration off the top of my forehead and then root for a few of my bids to be topped.

A couple of days later when I am still the top, I start thinking about what cash is liquid, what I would need to pull from investments, and of course, how I break it to my wife. I then go into this crazy rationalization that says "well, if I get those cards for this price, I will gladly pay it!"... when then gets me back to the conversation with the MRS and how much hell there will be to pay if I win everything.

This then leads to 99% of the bids eventually being topped and usually 2-3x the amount that I put in. The auction eventually closes with me either being shut out or winning one item that was probably at the bottom of the list (or something that I already had but I thought it was a good deal) and I bemoan my floor bids not holding up.

One day, I will not go through this cycle, but, alas, it is my 2x a year (soon to be 3x) REA experience...
You absolutely nailed it. I thought it was just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
You most definitely do not see many “bargains”, but you can pick up many “keepers”
So true, Ryan!

Last edited by CW; 10-07-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Albert Bee

Default bidding

CW

Wow, that is me almost every time !

Oops..I mean Kevin

Last edited by ALBB; 10-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Resonate with both of you

[QUOTE]It always feels like a drunken bender in Vegas when I put my initial bids in. When I look at the amount for items I'm winning, I gulp, wipe the perspiration off the top of my forehead and then root for a few of my bids to be topped.

One day, I will not go through this cycle, but, alas, it is my 2x a year (soon to be 3x) REA experience... [QOUTE]

All except the "Mrs" part - I paid dearly to have her out of my life a couple of years ago (still recovering) - Why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
For me, REA always has a handful of things you hardly ever see and/or things I really want. So, I place a ton of bids day-1, and then I reduce the want list to a top handful; sometimes they just get way too high for what I think they are worth (e.g., the very pretty (maybe undergraded) 1914 CJ Matty PSA 1). By the final day, I have my eye on a 1-4 cards, and I usually end up overpaying for a few prized pieces. I don’t mind overpaying (within reason), because the REA items I get are usually going into the vault. You most definitely do not see many “bargains”, but you can pick up many “keepers”
Definitely shows up with the goods. I got a few goodies last auction - hope for a few more this one.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Normally I will have somewhere between two and twenty lots in my auction Watchlist. I counted 113 items REA items I want to bid on. I told my wife, "One of us is going to be really disappointed about this auction."
Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Question, do I have to request a catalog if I consigned items last auction and always big on some items (although it's been a couple of years since I won anything) or do they send one without me making the request?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Question, do I have to request a catalog if I consigned items last auction and always big on some items (although it's been a couple of years since I won anything) or do they send one without me making the request?
You should get one.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
You should get one.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Bidding on one item

Locked in and focused

Will do everything it takes to w...

and I'm outbid

I'm out

Last edited by Dpoolem3; 10-08-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpoolem3 View Post
Bidding on one item

Locked in and focused

Will do everything it takes to w...

and I'm outbid

I'm out

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-12-2018, 05:52 AM

Has anybody received the catalog yet? I still haven't got mine.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:54 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Received mine yesterday. Still amazed the catalogs are free, printing must be $30 per catalog and add to that the shipping cost. Tells you how lucrative the auctions are for REA.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Received mine yesterday. Still amazed the catalogs are free, printing must be $30 per catalog and add to that the shipping cost. Tells you how lucrative the auctions are for REA.
Well, on $1 million of hammer price, they get $200k, and there are a few millions in this auction. It adds up fast, but I agree, the catalogs are a mint to print. But oh that smell!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Ed McCollum

Default About that smell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Well, on $1 million of hammer price, they get $200k, and there are a few millions in this auction. It adds up fast, but I agree, the catalogs are a mint to print. But oh that smell!
If I could develop a cologne that smelled like an REA catalog, my wife wouldn't be able to keep her hands off me. She spends more time with the catalog, just smelling it, than I do looking at the cards.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Val Kehl

Mine just arrived.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Mine came today. And yes the smell is great!!
Be good reading materials on a long drive up north tomorrow.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Mine came today. And yes the smell is great!!
What would be really cool is if they could somehow make the catalog smell like a stick of gum, in a wax wrapper.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
What would be really cool is if they could somehow make the catalog smell like a stick of gum, in a wax wrapper.
Yes, but only for the catalog pages that have the "R" cards. The catalog pages with the "N" and "T" cards should smell like a tobacco product, and the pages with the "E" cards should smell like candy.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Yes, but only for the catalog pages that have the "R" cards. The catalog pages with the "N" and "T" cards should smell like a tobacco product, and the pages with the "E" cards should smell like candy.
that'd be somethin'!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
If I could develop a cologne that smelled like an REA catalog, my wife wouldn't be able to keep her hands off me. She spends more time with the catalog, just smelling it, than I do looking at the cards.
That’s hilarious! I just told my wife that and she said that she is not a fan at all of the smell. I told her she is crazy.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default added smell pages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
that'd be somethin'!
If we are on this track let's don't forget the non sport actress cards.

Last edited by Leon; 10-13-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Pete Sycks

When my wife sees me smell it I get some pretty odd looks. Always the highlight of the year.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 10-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Bill Tozer

Default Rea

Got mine yesterday. I was wondering: Is there anything in the catalog that's not at their online auction site?

If they're the same, how about having the option of being sent, instead of a catalog, a $20 bill (a pleasant smell) or discount off their 20% commission?

Hmm...
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBILL View Post
Got mine yesterday. I was wondering: Is there anything in the catalog that's not at their online auction site?

If they're the same, how about having the option of being sent, instead of a catalog, a $20 bill (a pleasant smell) or discount off their 20% commission?

Hmm...
Smell is worth more than $20 to me!
I have all the REA catalogs I have received over the years. I like to look back at the once in awhile.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Mike

My wife says " get that catalog out of here" . She can't stand the smell.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:54 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Is anyone else having trouble logging in to see auction/bids? The homepage works for me but nothing else for past couple of days.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble logging in to see auction/bids? The homepage works for me but nothing else for past couple of days.
No issues here.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206