NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 AM

Default age old problem

To answer Barry's question about why the artists didn't produce accurate depictions on some of the E91B and all of the E91C set...laziness. Heck, it is why my article is posted here...I didn't feel like tracking down all the images of the comparision cards. Also budget issues could have come into play. Artists don't work for free. I imagine American Caramel thought they could get away with putting out inaccurate representations because, hey, these cards were produced for kids and what in the hell do they know anyway?

To me the E91C set is fairly worthless...just get one for your type collection. I would concentrate on the E91A issue and the E91B cards that have the same name designations as the E91A set.

Brian
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Bill T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
To me the E91C set is fairly worthless...just get one for your type collection.
Brian
Brian, I couldn't agree more.

Jim, can you send me that fairly worthless WAJO? It'll work in my type collection. I'll even pay some toward postage.

Bill
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Default E91 Reulbach

I have mentioned that most of the E91A cards share a facial likeness to the actual subject, which is then attached to a generic body, but 5 years or more ago I believe it was Runscott who shared a full-body pitching photo of Reulbach, either on the net54 site or for crying out loud the old Full Count board, that is exactly the same as pictured on his E91 cards. I didn't save the image (old computer crash go boom), but because of its existence I believe the artists used available photo sources to create these cards. As my article stresses it seems that most of these photos were portraits, but like in the case of Reulbach fuller body shots could have been used on a handful as well. Maybe someone can track down the Reulbach side action shot, or perhaps runscott could come out of the woodworks and help make my point.

Brian
Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Default T204 Breshnahan, Tinker and Plank

You have to love the Library of Congress site...here is a link to a T204 Breshnahan, Tinker and Plank

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displa.../~ammem_UOFl::

Brian
Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Thank you Brian, for all the work and providing the information to us.

I laugh every time I see the E91 Plank, at what looks like a golf ball in his hands...but it is my favorite card in the set

Steve

Last edited by Steve D; 09-19-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

It looks like each team had a separate artist. Those Athletics look to be the the best executed and it seems the Cubs are rendered as thinly as possible in the depictions of their torsos and lower bodies. The Giants look a bit more full bodied to my eye. Great article!

Last edited by toppcat; 09-21-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Johnny Kling

Brian,

Here is a scan of my M116 Kling with your Kling E91:

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M116.jpg (19.0 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg 91kling.jpg (21.6 KB, 365 views)