NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: MVSNYC

in light of our friend's post regarding his stolen collection, i was wondering what the best (strongest, most substantial) safes are for cards? i have been looking into Sentry Products, they seem cheap, and the ones that are fire/water proof, have cheap locks, and i have been told, can get a build-up of humidity due to air-tightness...there are other safes that are more for security, very strong, good locks, made of solid steel, BUT not fire or water proof...can some of you guys please give your opinions? what are some of the best safes for cards, and should i be focusing on security or fire/water damage? i live in a door man apartment building in NYC, so it is more about just safe-keeping.

p.s. i have both cards & ticket stubs, mostly PSA slabbed, but many raw, FYI.

thanks!
Michael

Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1026088016/Safe-guarding+your+cards

Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: barrysloate

You want the heaviest one you can possibly get into your house with the highest fireproof rating. It's ususally one-hour or two-hour or something like that, which means it will protect your valuables in a fire for that length of time. There are a few issues to consider: 1) the heat generated by a fire might make the walls so hot that things inside begin to melt or burn anyway (we are talking about collecting paper); 2) is the safe waterproof so that if a fire is put out, will the water seep into it; 3) and this is the scariest- if you are not home most robbers can not get into the safe and will probably just take your stereo; but if you are home and there is a burglary (as happened to me in 1988, I came home and walked into it) they can put a gun to your head and say "open the safe or else." In that scenario, the safe won't help. In my case, they left before they ever found it. Just a few things to consider.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Tom- thanks, very useful links, i am also looking for some brand names or model numbers...

Barry- Very useful info, thanks, and what about the possibility of humidity forming in a fire/water proof safe? or is that not much to worry about?

Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: barrysloate

It can form, but you can just buy desiccant packages. They are cheap and you throw a few inside.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Griffin's

Or you can get a dehumidifier for the safe- most offer this as an option.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Mike,

I'm also in a doorman Manhattan apartment. I use a larger Sentry fireproof (2 hour version) and waterproof safe. I've had it for a while and it has worked great for both slabbed and unslabbed cards, as well as other "stuff". I bought the version ith the combo lock, not the digital. I have heard the digital's cause lots of problem. The combo lock comes with its own programmed 3-code, or you can set a 4 number code, too.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Jon, thanks! that is the exact version i have been eyeing online...i think walmart has it for around $150. i just bought the digital version last night at target, and the keypad is very cheap plastic, and it has exposed wires behind the keypad for when you change the battery, i was not happy with it. is the model you are talking about (msw3110)? thansk again!

p.s. i assume you are happy with its quality & there no issues with humidity?

MS

Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Cobby33

Don't go nuts on these- from what I've learned, they give off some gases that might be harmful. Cotton towels to absorb the moisture, I hear, work best.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Mike,

That is very similar in look to mine but not exactly. I believe I paid somewhere in the $225-$250 range at Home Depot for it. I have the 4 bar locking system, fireproof for 2 hours (instead of 1 hour) at 1700 degrees and the waterproof. I'm not sure of the model number but I did a quick search on Homedepot.com and it is very similar to the one they have for $179.00. However, I noticed that this safe is 1-hour, not 2-hour - which probably explains the difference in the $50.00-$75.00 price. In terms of moisture, no problems (knock on wood). I do not use any type of dehumidifier in it but I like the towel idea suggested above.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

thank you so much...i'll keep you updated as to which model i get.

regards,
MS

Old 10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I own a safe used on a large farm in the 1880's. It has four wheels and weighs maybe 600-700lbs. Solid steel door is about two to three inches thick, as is the rest of it. I had to build a ramp on my basement stairs to get it down the basement, so they would not collapse. Easy combination to remember. I can assure one and all, it will be here long after we are all gone. It has a beautiful hand painted scene on the door. It has been in my wife's family since day 1. Never a single problem with moisture. They just don't build 'em like that anymore. I'm somewhat certain an A-Bomb would not harm this beast.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: leon

I have a 1200lb jewelers safe that got brought into our house, when we were building it, with a tow truck. It is rated TL15...which means that with a blow torch and perfect knowledge it would take at least 15 minutes to get into. I bought it used for around $1000. It is also guarded by a monitored alarm system in a hidden room built for it. I also have a safe deposit box......regards

Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: paulstratton

I bought one from the guy set up at the National. $400 and he delivered it for free to Arizona. It's a pretty good size and it holds a good number of cards both graded and ungraded. As soon as I got it I found a really large "vault style" safe at a local moving sale. It was only $200 but I don't think I could have fit it through my front door.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Josh K.

paul - do you recall who you bought the safe from or what brand it is?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

like Fort Knox down there...........hidden room.....does your wife know it exists?

Tom- yes she does...and she finds me in it sometimes...caressing (that's kind of creepy) and smelling my cards... (leon)

Old 10-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: paulstratton

Josh,

Franco's Safe Moving
1201 e.chestnut ave. #b
santa ana, ca
(714)542-3660

They have any kind of safe you may want...wall, floor, large, small, etc...
...I think he only delivers to the states that border California though.

ps...I have no affiliation with ol' Franco.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Denny

Hey Michael, Check this site out: http://www.klsecurity.com/gsa-approved-safe.htm ... I was in the Submarine Service for 22 years and this is the company that I always dealt with(the Whole Military uses them!) when we had an issue with safes. I was on a Fast Attack Sub (commonly referred to as a "Boat"), They have every thing that you might be looking for and more! The X-09 combination lock is state of the art(when I retired in 2003 we were useing X-07's), what they have to offer is the best you will be able to find in the world! Give them a call and see if they have any old models of an S&G safe, maybe you'll save some cash? But I do think that they will have what you are looking for! See you Roundin' 3rd, Denny

Old 10-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Safe for cards?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Silica Gel does not give off gases.

Just the opposite. Silica Gel will remove most gases other than air, from the air.

Silica Gel routinely extracts its own weight in water from the area it occupies.

If you have any questions regarding my credentials or experience to make these statements, please e-mail me. But you can take this to the bank.

I am not sure that moisture in a safe will ever get sufficiently high to affect a slabbed card, but that is a factor of moisture level, time of exposure at that level, diffusion rate, and biological considerations regarding mold and related biologicals.

By comparison, a towel will do almost nothing to reduce the moisture level in an enclosed space. Even one right out of the dryer.