NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM
JeR@Me

Default Storing your Cards in a Safe : Questions...

Let me ask those out there that store their cards in a safe, do you have a moisture/dampness humidity controller in your safe ? I know when safes are sold, they offer these to help protect precious goods inside. Was just curious what you guys thought of these, and if they are even necessary ? Would there be a potential to fire since these are plugged into an outlet and kept inside the safe ? Any thoughts out there and more importantly how do the Pro's store their most cherished items ? (Besides a Saftety deposit box at the bank) With or without this humidty control...

Thanks -I will hang up and listen
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Doug C.

I use a small locking fireproof/waterproof Honeywell chest that cost about $25. I don't really have any room for a full sized safe and I usually stick to the 20-25 (or less) card collection so it works for me. The only disadvantage to its small size is that it wouldn't be too hard for a burglar to pick it up and walk off with it. Even though I keep it in a good hiding place I usually don't bother locking it because in the event someone broke in and found it I'd rather they be able to open it and think it's just someone's dumb baseball cards that aren't worth stealing as opposed to assuming it's full of cash and taking the whole thing.

Last edited by Doug; 07-27-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM
D.B. Cooper

I own a puma.

Safes don't attack the plumber, but ever home security device has its downside.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1200 lb jewelers safe

I have a 1200 lb jewelers safe where I keep stuff at home and a safe deposit box at Wells Fargo for the valuable stuff. Neither have any moisture controllers of any kind. Being in the south I can't imagine it being too much of an issue as long as they are stored carefully. About 95% of my valuable cards are graded/slabbed too. regards
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Mark Weaver

I have a large Sentry waterproof/fire proof safe that I keep my collection in. I have had no issues at all with regard to moisture. Although, I have been thinking about a safe deposit box b/c my collection is growing. I am afraid I would miss the convenience of being able to look at my cards anytime I would like within the comfort of my home. Is it just me??
Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Kenny Cole

Yes, that part sucks. Good scans and a nearby bank where your safe deposit box is located help though.

However, my thought is that I'd rather have my expensive cards in a safe deposit box than at home. If they're at home, a person with a gun to the head of my wife or kids would be given the key to the city immediately. If they're not at home, they can open my safe and take everything there and I'm still moderately OK.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default on line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz#8 View Post
I have a large Sentry waterproof/fire proof safe that I keep my collection in. I have had no issues at all with regard to moisture. Although, I have been thinking about a safe deposit box b/c my collection is growing. I am afraid I would miss the convenience of being able to look at my cards anytime I would like within the comfort of my home. Is it just me??
I go visit my cards every once in a while at the safe deposit box, maybe 1-2 times a month. They are less than 3 miles from me so it's not too bad. Otherwise, I have the great majority of my collection on line so I can view it anytime. It's not as good as the rich smell of plastic in the morning (or was that napalm?) but it's ok. I even have about 100 cards on our album page(s) on this board. I go over there and look sometimes too.

On the moisture issue I can't recall anyone saying they have had a big problem with it, other than natural disasters, which are sort of obvious.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
James Gallo

As an addition to this, where have you guys bought your safes from? I have been planning to rebuy one and with this mess I am in, well needless to say I will be doing something.

James G
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Barry Arnold

Default safe safes

2 large safes at office along with alarm system. all cards are slabbed.
no problems.

best,
barry
Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM
JeR@Me

Default Thanks for the comments...

Thanks for the comments... It appears no one has a moisture controller, except me. I have a 1,500 lb jewelers safe and have a moisture control in it, but not sure I need the moisture control. It is more for dampness/humidity as opposed to something getting wet. I was told that the dampness or lack of free air can create different humidity in the safe, thus possibly curling a raw card, etc.... Not sure I buy into that, but really wanted to know if anyone uses the moisture controllers... All this moisture controller looks like is a 12 inch stick with a wire running from it and plugged into the wall. Small hole drilled in back bottom of safe.... The stick is hot, and puts off heat to level the humidity in the safe. I think I am more concerned with this stick catching fire in my safe than it actually protecting the temp/humidity in the safe.... A lot of overthinking here, but really want to know if anyone has a legitimate reason why they would have a moisture control stick in their safe...

Thanks -

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 07-27-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Matt Hall

I wouldn't want anything hot near my cards.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I wouldn't want anything hot near my cards.
Well, then that would rule out the states of Texas and Arizona. (A little chill here today. I don't think it got above 95.)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
As an addition to this, where have you guys bought your safes from? I have been planning to rebuy one and with this mess I am in, well needless to say I will be doing something.

James G

I bought all 3 of mine at Costco (made by Sentry w/ fireproof). They weigh about 250lbs each and they have a Key and electronic combo to get in (And also have another "drawer" inside where another key is needed to get in). They also come with hardware that you can bolt the safe right down to the floor from the INSIDE of the safe, so it would take a lot of time and noise to get the safe out of the house if anyone wanted to. The safes cost somewhere in the $250 range each.

I also have a 1000lb Harley Davidson vault (That i keep my guns/swords and other large valuables in). It was quite expensive though, i believe i paid about $2500 for it.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Unfortunately, I just encountered an immediate need to get a safe to protect some jewelry, etc., and am also currently looking to get a larger safe to protect even more items that will include some of my cards.

I thought about humidity as well, and rather than a dehumidifier I'm thinking about using dessicant packs, much like the packs that come in boxes of shoes, and some appliances, etc. Does anyone have experience using dessicant packs for this purpose?

Last edited by timzcardz; 07-28-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Don;t want too apere alliterate!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Barry Arnold

Default safe

as a bit of a control experiment,some time back, i put them in one safe and not in the other---no difference in cards after a couple of years now.

my inclination is not to worry about replacing the dessicants from here on.

best,
barry
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

A high quality safe from a brand like Ft. Knox is a must for any significant collection. I'm not a fan of visiting my cards at a bank or somewhere else.

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/safes/guardian.htm

For any decent sized safe I recommend a de-humidifier rod that plugs in and sits on the bottom of the safe. You can buy them online from many retailers. It heats up and causes the air to circulate inside.

Moisture damage can't be reversed, so I don't take chances. These rods are cheap and you can just forget about the issue.

Last edited by M's_Fan; 07-28-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
JeR@Me

Default M's Fan...

The moisture rod is exactly what I have and while it gets a bit hot to the touch, it usually is mounted on 2 pieces of wood and is not touching the inner part of the safe. I don't worry about the rod being too hot and metling cards as some have suggested, but more worry about a short in the plug, a spark, etc causing a fire with this moisture rod inside the safe. Mold or Fire ? I can't win... Just kidding... Do banks provide air ciruclation in their bank deposit boxes ? Are they temp controlled ?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Tony N.

Default I have one of these

I have one of these mini dehumidifier's, and I love it. It can be left in the safe and doesn't get hot. It has an indicator that turns pink when it is time to recharge. Just plug it in for a few hours, and the light will turn blue, and your good to go.

Here is the link, I bought mine at a Cabela's store by my house:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0034792227686a

Thanks, Tony
Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz#8 View Post
I also used to have the majority of my collection stored in two of these Sentry
safes, although it currently lies safely in a safety deposit box. Some time ago,
I had gone a few months without opening up my collection and looking at it.
When I finally pulled them out to look at my cards, I noticed that the envelope
with my important documents (which was also in the safe) felt a little damp.
It also looked like some of the PSA flips had taken on a wrinkled look, although
they may have been that way from the beginning. The cards seemed unaffected.

I did some research and found that the fire retardant they use inside the
walls of these small safes can cause moisture buildup within the safe.
The solution was to store my cards in ziploc baggies. I just bought some
of the bigger gallon sized bags and double bagged stacks of 25 slabs or so.

Last edited by CW; 01-01-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 AM

I have a small safe for my cards, and I use "damprid" flakes purchased from Home Depot/Lowe's. I made a contraption that consists of two small plastic containers with a crack in the top container (holding the flakes) to let the moisture get into the bottom container.

Is storage in a safe dangerous for our beloved cards? I am not aware of any horror stories. However, I can tell you that the damprid flakes turn to mush and then water in 4-6 weeks or so.

Andrew
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Mark Weaver

Thanks CW! I will err on the side of caution and put the slabs in zip locks!

-Mark
Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I'm not sure if zip locks alone are the best idea. I may worry about moisture building inside a ziplock bag. I would suggest maybe throwing in some small desicant baggies inside a ziplock and/or inside the safe as well. You can buy big bags of 100's of packets of these as well as bigger "rechargeable" ones. I would also use the hot-rod dehumidifiers as well in a large safe.

All of these moisture-control items are inexpensive, so I see no reason to be extra cautious and use them pretty liberally.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 07-29-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Chris Buckler

Default Chris

I have no experience with humidity controllers, however I have had a safe for years and see no reason why I need to get one as all my cards, paperwork etc.. are fine. What I do feel I need to mention is the quality of safes. I have a friend who works for a locksmith, they do repairs/installs and they sell safes and all sort of locking mechanisms. These guys actually play games and bet who can crack a safe the fastest at there shop. I have seen it and been told of amazing stories. Very few safes are "totally secure" and they cost a small fortune. I have been told never to buy safes from Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Cosco, Meiers, etc.. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks and buy from a locksmith as you will get what you pay for. I have seen a locksmith open a 250lbs. gun safe purchased from Lowes in 17 seconds with no tools.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
John Spano

I have plug-in dehumidifier (its about 4" x 6" x 2") that hangs in my gun-safe. Its been great thus far. When the desiccant on the inside is saturated I take it out, plug it into the wall, and in about 24 hours it ready to use again. Its good for about a month at a time.

Most of my collection has been moved to a couple safety deposit boxes however. When I go for a "visit" I pick up a bag of those disposable desiccant sacs and change them.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM

I'm looking for a way to store some autographed baseballs and was thinking about getting a waterproof/fireproof safe...

Good idea?
Bad idea?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM
nels0n aud.et

I keep my cards in a 1000 pounds commercial safe. fire proof and burglary proof. I open the door each day or two and i never have any moisture problem and i have my safe since long time.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post
I keep my cards in a 1000 pounds commercial safe. fire proof and burglary proof. I open the door each day or two and i never have any moisture problem and i have my safe since long time.
Ok, this would be for baseballs, and I probably wouldn't open it everyday, but could make a point to open it every few weeks if needed...
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM
nels0n aud.et

I look at my collection almost each days.... so the safe is open for arround 30 minutes each day....

sometime i will not open it for 2 or 3 days but it is verry rare

I really enjoy looking my colllection

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 03-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.