NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: jim sexton

I recently sent this card in to be graded. It came back as counterfeit and SGC would not grade it. I have no problem with that except the stamp seems to be authentic. The card itself looks hand cut and maybe duplicated? Can anyone shed some light on this issue. Does the card have any worth. I will try to post the front of the card.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: leon

From my experience, from that scan, both the card and stamp look to be fake....I have had about 5 of the stamped cards....Hopefully Al will chime in...Here are a few to compare to...and sorry for the scans of other cards...ya take what ya can...

Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: samuel

as for the front, the black border should be darker or better-defined and the image a stage sharper. the lettering looks placed over it and seems to be crooked and off-center.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Not real, I think the card was in a group lot earlier this year in one of the bigger Auction houses, and I was a little skeptical when I saw the card in their auction, but it was only a small scan and there was no back scan in the auction description. The front is strange as has been stated, the black line around the picture should be the same deep color as the name, also the font on front is wrong, this card is almost what the result would be if an E135 Collins-McCarthy and a E121/W575-1 mated and had a strange love-child. There is no # on front (a la E121) but the type-set used is like the E135's. Also the back stamp is no good and paper stock is wrong.

Below you will see (as Leon posted earlier) a real Henry Johnson stamp (purple one below), along with another Henry JOhnson stamp that came from a period collection that I have never seen another of (originally in a scrap-book with some other blank back E121's (or W575-1's)), also included is the tough James P. Keating stamp which is from Sacramento. It's hard to see on the scan but the blue/green Johnson stamp states "5312 Princeton St., Oakland // Phone Fruitvale 3166"

-Rhett

Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I can't speak to the card, but the stamp is definitely not authentic.

You should have "Henry A. Johnson"and "Wholesale Confectioner" printed in a serif typeface, with the info below in a sans serif. Ink should be purple. Rhett's stamp on the left is authentic.

Rhett, I've never seen anything like that second on you've got there, but I have heard whispers of a few authentic H-J stamps that are different from the common ones.

Jim, if you're looking to get rid of that one, I am looking to add a fake stamp to my H-J collection.

-Al

Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Al, You are more than welcome to it.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

First, I want to thank Jim for being so kind as to send me his card, gratis, which I have now added to my collection. I've wanted to add a fake stamp, mostly so I could post it around the net and let people know how to identify them.

Second, I figured I'd bump this thread and A) write something about cards, and B) create a post with all the relevant info in one post so that the next person who searches for Henry A. Johnson Confectioners cards will find this post and be able to identify a fake. These fakes have fooled a couple of knowledgeable hobbyists in the last few months, so it's worthwhile to have some info out there that might help.

The card Jim sent me is definitely a fake. And I realize that some of what I'm writing below is contained in Rhett's post above mine, but the search function on 54 is sometimes a little clunky, and so I'm repeating some of what he wrote, so that all the relevant info is in one post that will show up in future searches.

First, there are issues with the paper stock. The real Henry Johnson Confectioners cards are printed on a smooth, bright stock that has a bit of a gloss to both the front and back. Although it is a lightweight stock, it's rigid enough that it's got some substance.

The fake that Jim provided is printed on a rough, tan-colored stock that has no gloss. The weight of the paper is even lighter than the authentic one.

Second, there are issues with the cut. True Henry Johnson Confectioners are not hand-cut, like other W575-1s (which are usually jagged at the top and bottom). They're all machine cut, and fall within the normal size variances of E121s and their ilk (Rhett can tell you more about those, as he's the expert in E121s). On the fake, it's visibly smaller than an authentic card, and it's clearly hand cut.

I'm linking to an image that has an authentic card and Jim's fake, side-by-side, so you can see the things I'm describing above, but also so that you can see the most important difference between the two, and one that should help you identify this type of fake without even looking at the stamp on the back.

In this scan, the authentic H-J is on the left. Look at the typeface underneath the photo. The type is a standard, sans-serif typeface, with the lettering short and disproportionately wide. It looks just like every other E121 or W575-1.

Look at the typeface on the fake card. It's a serif typeface, proportionate in height and width. The typeface in the fake is the same typeface as an M101-4 or E135 (as Rhett stated above), not an E121. The other fake that I've seen uses this same typeface. I've never seen an authentic E121, W575-1, or H-J with this typeface.

I'll also point out the fact that the lettering on the fake is not centered under the photo, although that could be something that's pertinent only to this one copy, and not all the fakes. This is the only fake I've handled, and I've only seen one other (and don't recall if the lettering was centered).

The reason that this is important is that a post above mine, from Rhett, shows a scan of the back of another Henry Johnson that looks different from every other Henry Johnson I've ever seen. I won't question his knowledge of the authenticity of that card, because I think he knows more about these than anyone I've encountered in the hobby. So it's clear to me that the Henry Johnson confectioners company used at least two different stamps. Since I would have called Rhett's copy a fake based on the stamp (if it was sitting in the collection of someone less knowledgeable than he), it becomes more important to be able to identify the telltale signs of a common fake from the printing on the FRONT of the card.

The other obvious issue is with respect to condition. Henry Johnson Confectioners cards in anything better than VG-EX condition are very rare. I would question virtually anything that's in EX condition or better - there are probably fewer than a half-dozen graded copies at the EX level.

Many of the authentic cards also have small, star-shaped hole punches in them. Whether this is from a cancellation of some sort (which is my belief) or from a Northern California kid who liked punching holes in his cards (which is the belief of another veteran collector who has forgotten more about this hobby than I'll ever know) will probably never be determined.

In the picture above, the authentic Henry Johnson stamp is on the top. This is the "common" Henry Johnson stamp, clearly different from the one underneath it. The one underneath is Jim's card. You can see that in the authentic example, the top two lines of text are a serif typeface, with tall, thin letters. The bottom two lines are sans serif, different sizes from one another. The lettering in the fake example is not as heavy as the lettering in the authentic one.

I'm also aware of fakes that use the same stamp as the one above, only with black ink. Authentic Henry Johnsons that use the common stamp are in purple ink.

So that's a brain dump that compares the authentic Henry Johnson with the fake. With this post, you should be able to tell the difference between the common fakes that were made by a hack in the 80s, and the authentic ones that are out there.

Now, please - dig through your collections and, using the info in this post, find your authentic Henry Johnsons, and sell them to me. I'm approaching the halfway point in building this set, and would like to get it done before senility begins to set in.

-Al

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: fkw

I havent read all the posts so I might be repeating some info. The card pictured is a fake, the easiest way to tell is the font on front is a E135 font with the number missing. The E121 font is totally different style. This is the same type of fake as the Opie Dildock and Kendig Chocolates fakes.

Got taken on a Kendig about 9 years ago and I never forgot it.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default henry a johnson

Posted By: leon

I think you are talking about the "Oodles Chocolate" fake instead of an Opie Dildock. Have you ever really seen an Opie Dildock (E94) type fake? I was one of the unfortunate to buy the Oodles card....came back as fake from SGC and PSA slabbed it into a 7 after that....and nearly got into a lawsuit over it. The seller was a really nice guy, as I remember. I met him a few times at the National. He was really pissed that PSA slabbed it....(he said he honestly sent it in, in a group, as a mistake) best regards and hope all is well for you.....