NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2018, 11:43 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Default Question about The National

Very excited. Just booked my first trip to the National in Cleveland this year! I'm attending primarily for the experience but would absolutely be willing to buy if I find some stuff I like.

My question is about purchasing. I understand cash is king, espically at sports card shows, but I would feel a little nervous about carrying large amounts of cash. For the sake of argument, let's say you find a good deal for a card you really want for $5000. Are you okay carrying that much cash around, espically not knowing if you'll buy anything at all?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Dave Foster

Potentially, too many crooked eyes on the conv. floor watching as you whip out your $5K wad to make a buy. Could follow you outside and stick a gad in your ribs for what you have left. And going thru airport TSA check in, you might get flagged carrying $5K on your person, as derived from a drug transaction. Plastic is much safer. Many sellers accept it and any buys you make via paypal give you protection. Not that I'm paranoid, just looking at the downside.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:26 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Many dealers will take Paypal / Square Cash / Venmo / Straight CC's, but there are always dealers out there that will take nothing but cash.

The last local show I went to, I had to reluctantly pass on a very nice $950 card because I didn't have that much cash on me. It was sold not long after I walked away.

That same dealer had cards priced as high as 8K+, and he claimed that people do pay him with that much cash.

I'd personally be somewhat concerned about carrying a ton of cash with me.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 07-03-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Cash will always be king.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Don Hontz

I set up at the National and shows on the East Coast---I only take Cash, Paypal and checks from people I know or with Good references. I do lose some sales, but the same card will sell at a later date. I do have many high priced cards and trust me, buyers do bring a lot of cash. Many dealers will take up to 50K in cash . I do get stopped at the airport, not for the cash, but for the encapsulated cards that cause an alert for some reason. I then have to explain what I have and that I am selling them at a show. Cash is still King and I don't know of any guys that have been robbed at the National due to cash (other than cards being stolen from showcases)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I set up at the National and shows on the East Coast---I only take Cash, Paypal and checks from people I know or with Good references. I do lose some sales, but the same card will sell at a later date. I do have many high priced cards and trust me, buyers do bring a lot of cash. Many dealers will take up to 50K in cash . I do get stopped at the airport, not for the cash, but for the encapsulated cards that cause an alert for some reason. I then have to explain what I have and that I am selling them at a show. Cash is still King and I don't know of any guys that have been robbed at the National due to cash (other than cards being stolen from showcases)
Don, you are the reason I take cash to shows now! A few years back, Don had a great card I wanted but I didn’t have the cash and he didn’t know me to accept a check (plus I didn’t have a check on me). I didn’t get the card. At the National a few months later, I rolled in and bought a pretty 51 bowman mays from Don, all cash. There have been other times I have missed out on cards from other dealers bc I didn’t have cash, or I had to leave a cash deposit and send a check later, which sucks. Cash is king. You get better deals with cash and everyone accepts it.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
Many dealers will take Paypal / Square Cash / Venmo / Straight CC's, but there are always dealers out there that will take nothing but cash.

The last local show I went to, I had to reluctantly pass on a very nice $950 card because I didn't have that much cash on me. It was sold not long after I walked away.

That same dealer had cards priced as high as 8K+, and he claimed that people do pay him with that much cash.

I'd personally be somewhat concerned about carrying a ton of cash with me.
In Addition to Buyers worried about having a lot of Cash it would be much worse for Sellers as they Have a lot more cash and are more Recognizable.

I, for one, would not want to be a Seller at a Card Show.

Are these Sellers Not Worried?

Has anybody ever bee Robbed at a Card Show Before?

Also, about what percentage of Sellers are "Cash Only"

It will be my first time going to the National Show too

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 07-04-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Potentially, too many crooked eyes on the conv. floor watching as you whip out your $5K wad to make a buy. Could follow you outside and stick a gad in your ribs for what you have left. And going thru airport TSA check in, you might get flagged carrying $5K on your person, as derived from a drug transaction. Plastic is much safer. Many sellers accept it and any buys you make via paypal give you protection. Not that I'm paranoid, just looking at the downside.
FinCen rules apply to international travel not domestic, and it would be anything above 10k on your person.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Brendan Mullen

From experience, domestic you can take as much cash as you want to on a plane.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
From experience, domestic you can take as much cash as you want to on a plane.
Just hope D.B. Cooper is not on the plane.

Brian
Old 07-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I wish it come to ATL.
I don't get out a ton and probably never get to a show.
But if one did come here, I'll make sure to go.
It would be neat to meet & shoot the breeze with some of the nice people on this board.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 AM

Default Question about National re: cash

I've been to at least a dozen shows (Cleveland, Chicago, Atlanta, Baltimore)
and never had a "scary" moment while carrying cash. Someone said below that "cash is king" and they are right. You move to the top of the food chain with a seller if you have cash, and my experience is most sellers do NOT have online banking means while at the show. Take cash and plenty of it!