NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Robert Williams

To the OP.....whoever sold you your card in question was a "flipper". If no one bought or sold any cards from/to people who were flippers, there would be no transactions taking place, because we are ALL FLIPPERS! Food for though......
Old 07-15-2017, 09:01 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I will go as far as saying if I sell you something on the BST and you can sell it for more before I ship it to you, I will ship it to your buyer instead. I could care less, unless you tell a lie to get a better price (as Peter mentioned) .....

not a likely scenario
Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

As most have said, I think if he purchased the card at the sellers price he can do what he wants...IT'S HIS! Also remember, it's not a "flip" until it is sold.

I've listed many cards on eBay from my PC at a high price because they're not for sale...but can be bought.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Kyle May

Comical. Just flat out comical.

While we're busy making stupid lists, I'm gonna make my own. Who here is against flippers but won't double my salary so I can afford more of the cards I want?

To the OP, I understand your goal is to not deal with flippers. That is 100% your choice. But to make a thread because you lost out on a card you wanted is ridiculous, especially when the card is again available for sale, regardless of the markup from the original listing. You're choosing not to reach out to the seller.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-16-2017, 03:09 AM
Kevin Parsons

I am a newbie to the board and have not bought or sold here. If I do sell on here, I could care less what someone does with the card once they buy it. I also feel someone should have the right to sell to who they want as well. If that isn't a Bill Clinton " Don't ask. Don't tell" answer, I've never heard one.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:31 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
To the OP.....whoever sold you your card in question was a "flipper". If no one bought or sold any cards from/to people who were flippers, there would be no transactions taking place, because we are ALL FLIPPERS! Food for though......
+1

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 AM
Robert Williams

On a side note, when I run my .99 cent auctions, around 85% of the winners, are, YOU GUESSED IT, flippers!! I see my auction cards usually up for sale the following week for more money than the auction went for, sometimes substantially more. Do I like it? Of course not - it usually means I lost my ass on a card if a flipper won it. With Ebay though, the UNDERBIDDER determines the final price, not the winning bidder. Without those card flippers, my cheap cards would sell even cheaper!! Not knocking those non-flippers, but those guys are usually cheap (expletive) who want a card for next to nothing, to hell with the "value". More food for thought for this comical thread.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 07-16-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
not a likely scenario
It's already been done.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I can certainly understand the sentiment behind the OP's post. A couple years ago, I kept losing ebay auctions to professional eBay flipper, Mike Denero. It was frustrating as hell, but then I realized the problem was me: I was bidding for a "deal." So I changed my strategy. Now, if there's a card I really want, I bid so aggressively that I either win it or lose it to another collector, as the hammer price will make it very difficult to flip quickly or profitably. And if the latter happens, then so be it. There are tons of guys trying to make money with baseball cards. Personally, I've found better ways to invest my time and money, but as a full-fledged capitalist, I can't find issue with the practice.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I can certainly understand the sentiment behind the OP's post. A couple years ago, I kept losing ebay auctions to professional eBay flipper, Mike Denero. It was frustrating as hell, but then I realized the problem was me: I was bidding for a "deal." So I changed my strategy. Now, if there's a card I really want, I bid so aggressively that I either win it or lose it to another collector, as the hammer price will make it very difficult to flip quickly or profitably. And if the latter happens, then so be it. There are tons of guys trying to make money with baseball cards. Personally, I've found better ways to invest my time and money, but as a full-fledged capitalist, I can't find issue with the practice.

Perfectly stated.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Seems like the general consensus on here is that a flipper can do as they please. A lot of times I list stuff on here to move. For example I just sold a Type 1 Ruth on here for $450. I paid $250. Its worth $750. I made my money and who cares lol meat on the bone all around. Would you not buy that ruth photo if the person who bought it from me was asking $700 because he paid $450 and you missed out?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Imagine

Imagine a stock broker, who doesn't give a damn about the stock he is selling, and only focuses on his commission.

Imagine an attorney, who doesn't give a damn about the verdict, and only works for his contingency or retainer.

Imagine a politician, who cares less about his constituents than re-election and selling influence.

Imagine a fast food chain, that gladly complies with doubling the minimum wage and then has to resort to cutting its workforce using robots in order to remain solvent.

Then

Imagine a baseball card collector with a passion for his collection, who uses the hobby as an escape from all of the above, who buys wisely and ultimately can sell fairly to another younger collector, breaking even or even realizing a small profit.

There are more than a few of us in this category on the forum. There are others who are not.

I'm not dissing all brokers, attorneys, politicians, hamburger flippers and card flippers, but to suggest that the true card collector and the quick flipper are in the same category is a fallacy in my opinion.

I do reserve the right to be called a tortoise flipper though as I upgrade my collection.

I rest my case, your honor.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
[but to suggest that the true card collector and the quick flipper are in the same category is a fallacy in my opinion.
Agreed....on Ebay at least, the card flipper pays more. Like someone else said, Mike Denero has been one of my biggest customers for a while. Same with Dean Hawley.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 07-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Al Richter

I am trying Frank, but can not seem to imagine any of those things
Old 07-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

The days of Carter and Barker exchanging mimeographed lists and trading cards by mail is long since gone. Cards are collectibles but they are also commodities, and it's only the profits in buying and selling them that results in their being widely available. Sell to whoever you like, but calling here for a list of flippers I find obnoxious. And I am not even a flipper as such.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-16-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Bob Donaldson

It might be better to start a list of known "collectors" who definitely are not buying a card to flip.

Verifying that list might be a bit difficult :-)
Old 07-16-2017, 05:15 PM
S Gross

Surprised it took this long ....................

zzflip.jpg

................ I really have nothing intelligent to add (like normal )
Old 07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
Surprised it took this long ....................

Attachment 280878

................ I really have nothing intelligent to add (like normal )
Trust me, I was thinking it from the beginning.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 07-16-2017, 06:46 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Once you start following auctions, eBay, message boards etc you will not need a list of flippers - it becomes quite clear who buys items with the intent to resell.

Also, if they pay my price, I don't care what they do with the card. if they do the legwork to find a buyer who will pay a higher price than I ask, more power to them.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post

Also, if they pay my price, I don't care what they do with the card. if they do the legwork to find a buyer who will pay a higher price than I ask, more power to them.
Chris, agree 100%
Old 07-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
On a side note, when I run my .99 cent auctions, around 85% of the winners, are, YOU GUESSED IT, flippers!! I see my auction cards usually up for sale the following week for more money than the auction went for, sometimes substantially more. Do I like it? Of course not - it usually means I lost my ass on a card if a flipper won it. With Ebay though, the UNDERBIDDER determines the final price, not the winning bidder. Without those card flippers, my cheap cards would sell even cheaper!! Not knocking those non-flippers, but those guys are usually cheap (expletive) who want a card for next to nothing, to hell with the "value". More food for thought for this comical thread.
what's your ebay ID???
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
what's your ebay ID???
I have a link on this forum in the Ebay section.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post

Like Jay, totally agree with Chris.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
If someone buys a card for a set price, isn't it their's to do with what they please? I don't understand the OP's complaint. Sour grapes because you didn't get what you wanted? Not trying to start a fight but that's a ridiculous complaint. Are we all supposed to declare our intentions on every purchase from now on? Someone got something at a good price and is trying to make a profit. This is still The United States of America last I checked.
What about sellers who say they need to sell the card to pay for medication yet its listed week after week. I never cared anyones reasons
Old 07-17-2017, 03:58 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I am a flipper.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I am a flipper.
I have sold a lot of cards and not one of them I bought planning to sell. But things change over time, interests go in other directions. Sometimes you just see something else you want more and want to lock in some appreciation in something else. All good. No big deal. That's what makes the hobby interesting.

I am constantly irked by some dude who buys pictures from RMY and immediately lists them for outrageous markups. But what can you do. If I wanted it that bad I should have won at RMY.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 AM

Chris-I could not agree more with your statement. Now let's hope that lots of buyers flock to our table at the National and buy cards from you, Tim and me.
They can then flip away with abandon!

Cheers, Mike