NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Ray Collins Red Sox 1909-1915

Since I was able to scour this site for lots of info and history I thought I'd share what I unearthed over the past few months. Nothing is for sale, but I thought someone might be interested to see some photos and ephemera from this time.

The site is:
http://raycollins.blogspot.com/

Lewy
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Graig Kreindler

AWESOME blog, Lewy. I wish there more out there like yours. It's really great to learn about the role-players of these teams who's names haven't been remembered as well as the stars of the era.

I especially love the shots of Fenway from 1912. At the National, I had the chance to buy a few that might have been from a similar bunch, but didn't pull the trigger for all of them. If you'd like I can certainly put you in contact with the fella who was selling them. Or at least, I think I can.

How often do you think you'll be updating?

Graig
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the stamp of approval Graig. I like the Fenway shots too, those and the one with "Collins in the Box" are my favorites.

I'll probably only update it if and when I find some more items or information. I'm checking some diaries now to see if I can confirm the day and or game that the Fenway photos were taken.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Default Ray Collins

Cool Site! I just picked up a collection of beautiful 1915 Red Sox Spring Training photos and there was this one of Collins I thought you would like to see in there. It is nearly 8X10 and is from a Boston photographer named GT Murray.

Rhys Yeakley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collinsray.jpg (72.8 KB, 351 views)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Michael S

Thanks for sharing Lewy. Awesome Site. I really like the pic of Ray with Larry Gardner.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Wow Rhys - that is a cool portrait. Thanks for sharing. I will have to add an addenda to the found items in the blog and include the photos you and others have sent my way.

And Michael do you think that Larry Gardner photo is from spring training some where? The park looks too small to be a major league field and the sun appears to be very low in the sky?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Steven Sadler

Incredible stuff Lewy! I really like the photo of him wearing the sweater. Thanks for sharing.
Steve
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Good stuff.

On a side note you gotta be a doctor, histologist, biologist, or physiologist with a name like that, am I right?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM

You are a wise man Rhett. I have an interest in dementia and visual halucinatons.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy Body View Post
And Michael do you think that Larry Gardner photo is from spring training some where? The park looks too small to be a major league field and the sun appears to be very low in the sky?
Hi Lewy,

I think it is Spring Training although I would like to provide you with proof but just a guess. I have some Spring Training photo's from around that time that I will dig up and compare when I get a chance. I like it because it is so casual which is neat.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who gave me Ray images to share with family and include on the blog. A new addenda site has been added to the original.

Ray Collins Digital Archive

(If anyone would like credit for their images added or changed please let me know.)
Thanks again.

Last edited by Lewy Body; 12-26-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: omission
Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM
Joe

Sorry to bump this 7 year old thread , but I had posted in the April Pick-Up thread a picture of this 1907 Vermont scorecard featuring Larry Gardner and Ray Collins – Red Sox, (along with Jack Barry from Holy Cross/Athletics).

Researching further both Gardner and Collins, no surprise I found the best source for Collins to be an old thread of good ‘ole N54, and this incredible blog by his relatives.

http://raycollins.blogspot.com/

This particular game noted in this scorecard was a highlight of Rays’ Vermont career, as he beat Holy Cross 1-0 and drove in the game’s only run with a triple. A chapter(9 pages) from the book “Opening Fenway Park with Style: The 1912 Champion Red Sox” is dedicated to Collins, and this game in particular is described.

VT08.jpg

On a side note, like a I said N54 is an invaluable resource, but the memorabilia side has been rather quiet of late. Hopefully things will pick up as folks share more of what interests them. Cheers - Joe.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Mike Dugan

Hey Lewy- What a wonderful site, first class. The Gardner photo is definitely not from here in Hot Springs, neither Whittington Park, Fogel Field or the heavily used Majestic Park looked anything like that field.

Rhys, please post some of you new cache of Spring Training photos from that era, love seeing teams here in my hometown.

Also a shameless plug for the 2016 documentary The First Boys of Spring covering the history of Spring Training in Hot Springs by film maker Larry Fole, narrated by Billy Bob Thornton along with Peter Coyote. It received two Emmy awards last year though for some reason they have never mailed the Best Looking Historian award?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Conlon Collins

Hi Lewy,

Hopefully you are still checking out this board from time to time. Great blog about Ray Collins. I enjoyed reading through it.

Here are some photos of Ray from my collection taken by Charles Conlon:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collins, Ray (portrait).jpg (72.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Collins, Ray (throwing).jpg (72.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by horzverti; 04-30-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:06 AM

Terrific blog, Lewy! I really enjoyed looking at it.
Thanks!

Tags
ray collins, red sox