NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Scott Russell

Default Worst player in any Hall of Fame

This is not necessarily the least deserving as there is a subtle difference. I'm looking for guys who just weren't all that good at their sport.

I'm torn between Rabbit Maranville and Joe Namath, honorable mention to Ray Schalk and Phil Rizzuto
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Joe Namath won the biggest game in his sport in a legendary upset. Has to count for a lot. Not arguing he deserved the Hall, but far from the least deserving candidate I can imagine.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-19-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Charles

I know that I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, but my choice is........

Cal Ripken, Jr.

A very good player who was fortunate enough (and healthy enough) not to ever take or need a day off. But NOT a Hall-of-Fame player, IMHO.

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Joe Namath won the biggest game in his sport in a legendary upset. Has to count for a lot. Not arguing he deserved the Hall, but far from the least deserving candidate I can imagine.
Namath had a fairly pedestrian game. Matt Snell and the Jets D won that game.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post

Cal Ripken, Jr.

A very good player who was fortunate enough (and healthy enough) not to ever take or need a day off. But NOT a Hall-of-Fame player, IMHO.

Consider this flack given LOL. Contrarian choice. Ripken is a no brainer, streak or no streak. 2 MVP Awards, 8 Silver Sluggers for his position, reliably fielded his position no matter what anybody says about his range, though he seems to be ranked near the top of his position in nearly every defensive metric on Baseball Reference for good portions of his career.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Denn!s B@llou

Bill Bradley NBA, only in because of New York.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I would clearly support the idea that Cal would win my award for most hysterically over hyped player of my lifetime who was nowhere near the great player than many made him out to be. I also though his pursuit of the streak showed him to be a self obsessed boob who egotistically put his personal stuff ahead of everything else. (Sure this hasn't been debated before. . . .) Had a few truly excellent years but many more seasons where he hit around .250.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-20-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I would clearly support the idea that Cal would win my award for most hysterically over hyped player of my lifetime who was nowhere near the great player than many made him out to be. I also though his pursuit of the streak showed him to be a self obsessed boob who egotistically put his personal stuff ahead of everything else. (Sure this hasn't been debated before. . . .) Had a few truly excellent years but many more seasons where he hit around .250.

Put me in coach !! (Dad for a little bit wasn't it)

Yes, I'm trolling Ebay right now solely for "pricing errors"
Old 05-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Consider this flack given LOL. Contrarian choice. Ripken is a no brainer, streak or no streak. 2 MVP Awards, 8 Silver Sluggers for his position, reliably fielded his position no matter what anybody says about his range, though he seems to be ranked near the top of his position in nearly every defensive metric on Baseball Reference for good portions of his career.
Joe Namath is a no brainer for the Hof. 2 MVP awards. Only QB to throw for 4k yards under the old rules. Bart Starr never threw for 2500 yards. Bob Griese never threw for 2500 yards. Len Dawson never threw for 2900 yards. All contemporaries of Namath and in the Hof.

Baseball - Tommy McCarthy
Football - Bob Hayes
Basketball - Bill Bradley
Old 05-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Eddie S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post

Cal Ripken, Jr.

What? Ripken is in the top 25 all-time for WAR; the only two shortstops ahead of him are Honus Wagner and Alex Rodriguez, who obviously was not a shortstop his entire career and was a steroid guy.

Even if you are not a new-age stats guy, 3,184 hits and 430 home runs are not HoF numbers? Have you looked at Ray Schalk's career numbers?