NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Please Post Your N172 Larry Corcoran (if you're not John Dreker)

Per Jeremy's request...

I know for certain the location of at least three others.

And I must admit, over the years I have aided and abetted Mr. Dreker in his gluttonous quest for additional Larrys. It's what friends do, but I also figure it just makes the value of the one measly one I own all the better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larry.jpg (56.7 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by kkkkandp; 02-15-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM

If I wasn't so much younger than you and getting your Corcoran card in your will, I'd be mad at this thread. Carry on though...

PS Way to answer your phone today, I had a great story for you
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Matt Hall

That's a beautiful example... I'd be mad anyway, if I were you John.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Fred

I had to beg and plead to get this lone card of Larry. Oh thank you great Oz (JD).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg corcoran_N172.jpg (74.2 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by Fred; 02-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Fred

You would have to guess from the beginning that this thread would have limited participation because there are only a few people out there that have a Larry card because SOMEONE has hoarded a vault load of these.... does this remind you of the Hunt brothers and the silver market in the early 80s?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM

Default I Was Truly Curious

Fred:

BTW - you are somewhat culpable as well since I know of a couple of opportunities you passed up to let The King of Corcorans feed his habit. Anyway...

I really was curious how many other board members might actually have a Corcoran besides me and you (and one other guy I am sure about).

John:

Sorry, I couldn't answer my phone because, unlike you, I was not in Florida sunning myself.

Kevin
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Kenny Cole

Default Corcoran

Mine is thrashed, but it is still Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1887 N172 Old Judge Corcoran pose 94-2.jpg (36.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 1887 N172 Old Judge Corcoran pose 94-2 (back).jpg (52.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Joe Gonsowski

John, I do not own a Corcoran but know of several.

Of the seven recorded in SGC's population report, how many are now in your collection (did you purchase some SGC graded and break them out)? I can think of at least five collectors that would have at least one if not both poses. If we were to extend the population to Museum collections, I'm aware of the following:

Wharton-Tigar should have at least one, perhaps both
BB HOF has one pose (94-1a)
Met has both poses (posted below)
Library of Congress has one (posted below)

All told, I would think you are at or near perhaps half the total population in your collection (amazing feat). Purely speculation, but I think there could easily be 70+ Corcoran cards out there. I don't believe the 100 card goal would be possible but suggest you go for it so you can join the rest of us in trying to achieve the impossible with OJs.

You need to find a way to get him elected into BB HOF!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
John, I do not own a Corcoran but know of several.

Of the seven recorded in SGC's population report, how many are now in your collection (did you purchase some SGC graded and break them out)? I can think of at least five collectors that would have at least one if not both poses. If we were to extend the population to Museum collections, I'm aware of the following:

Wharton-Tigar should have at least one, perhaps both
BB HOF has one pose (94-1a)
Met has both poses (posted below)
Library of Congress has one (posted below)

All told, I would think you are at or near perhaps half the total population in your collection (amazing feat). Purely speculation, but I think there could easily be 70+ Corcoran cards out there. I don't believe the 100 card goal would be possible but suggest you go for it so you can join the rest of us in trying to achieve the impossible with OJs.

You need to find a way to get him elected into BB HOF!
If I can resurrect him and get him to pitch two more years so he reaches the 10 year minimum, then we just might have a chance!

I would agree with your guess for the most part. 100 is very doubtful, but 60-70 is more likely a good guess range. I bought two out of collections around Christmas in 2010. Since then there have been two for sale/auction. One on ebay in July of 2011 and the one last week, also on ebay. I bought both. Before that I found about 2-3 each year once I got online in 1998.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM

For the people wondering why this collection started, here is the quick version of the story:

I bought my first OJ's from Larry Fritsch around 1992-93. Joe Mulvey first because it was the cheapest, then a few months later I bought Corcoran because he was the best player he had for sale(very limited selection at the time).

When I got on ebay, the first OJ auction ending after I signed up was a Corcoran, different version than mine and very cheap. I won it.

Not knowing at the time how rare OJ's were, I was "misled" into thinking maybe ten Corcoran's existed. So when another showed up on ebay and it was a different variation, I won it.

Then I decided to get all six variations. When I got to five, I couldn't find the other one, so I bought a double to use as a trade bait. That card was low grade though, so when a nicer double showed up it seemed like better trade bait but I still couldn't find the sixth variation.

I then had a chance to buy a graded EX double, real nice, so I got it. By the time I finally got the sixth variation I had four doubles, all different, so I went for a second set and started the same thing as last time, buying doubles to trade...then eventually went for a third set, etc.

By the time I got to 17 or so, I just decided to buy them all, I was almost doing it anyway. I only passed up a couple...one being the one Fred has.

So that is how it got to where it is. If I knew there may be 60-70 of them out there, I probably would have never bought the second one

Last edited by z28jd; 04-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Cool Story John.

It is funny how the internet has made what was once deemed extremely rare a little more accessible. I remember writing Bob Richardson in the late 80s talking about collecting Detroit OJs. He grounded me and gave me lots of good advice. My stretch goal at the time was to obtain one card of each player and manager that could be found in the 1887 issue (leading zero numbered cards) which was a whopping 9 cards. It wasn't until many years later with eBay at my disposal that I realized I could easily go after all 28 poses. Now the 1888 cards are another story.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Cool Story John.

It is funny how the internet has made what was once deemed extremely rare a little more accessible. I remember writing Bob Richardson in the late 80s talking about collecting Detroit OJs. He grounded me and gave me lots of good advice. My stretch goal at the time was to obtain one card of each player and manager that could be found in the 1887 issue (leading zero numbered cards) which was a whopping 9 cards. It wasn't until many years later with eBay at my disposal that I realized I could easily go after all 28 poses. Now the 1888 cards are another story.
When I was nine, I had a calendar that had a picture of the Ewing/mascot card and I said I am going to get that card some day. I went to a lot of card shows as a kid, some real small, but Asbury Park used to have a nice sized one about three times a year run by a guy named Ed Walsh. At that age and for about 5-6 years after, I looked for Old Judge cards and just never saw them. When I finally had a chance to get my first OJ, Fritsch had maybe ten to choose from, so I thought that was a gold mine.

It took me about twenty years to get that Ewing/Mascot
Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Cool Story John
+1
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
JeR@Me

Default Larry C.

I love this thread Kevin !!!!! Let's show our beloved John that he can't have them all !!!!! Bahahahahahaha...... One more Larry coming right up ! Not an N172, but surely a N175 will qualify!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corcorran-N175-GQ.jpg (77.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 02-16-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM

I only collect N172's

This might be an odd thinking for someone who appreciates rarities in vintage cards so much, but I can't see paying extra for N175's, when they are the same picture as Old Judges, just a different brand. Due to the bigger ads on the cards, they are actually smaller pictures, though the subject is always unaffected. I have nearly 350 OJ cards, never once bid on, or inquired about a GQ
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Fred

The only other Larry card I want is a London Larry.... One of these days I'll get that sucker... (yes John, I'll get your permission first...)
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The only other Larry card I want is a London Larry.... One of these days I'll get that sucker... (yes John, I'll get your permission first...)
Just get a Pettee for your London card. Some much more rare and rarity is the key, no matter what I just said above. Besides, I need two more London ones before I'll truly be happy, both have to be the hands at shoulder pose though
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I only collect N172's

This might be an odd thinking for someone who appreciates rarities in vintage cards so much, but I can't see paying extra for N175's, when they are the same picture as Old Judges, just a different brand. Due to the bigger ads on the cards, they are actually smaller pictures, though the subject is always unaffected. I have nearly 350 OJ cards, never once bid on, or inquired about a GQ
This is great news! I guess I'll just wait for a 175. You can have all his 172s... It's an ugly pose anyway

Jus' kiddin'
Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Pettee London

Hey, Fred...John speaks from experience on this. At one point I had a London Corcoran that I refused to give up to John until I had a replacement London player to keep that from being a hole in my team collection. That really annoyed the crap out of John! Eventually, I just had to buy a more expensive Pettee so I could send the Corcoran to John so he'd stop whining!

Last edited by kkkkandp; 02-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.