NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default So what's safe to buy?

Admittedly naive, but my question now comes down to this: given what we know, and about whom, what is still "safe" to buy (among pre-WW2 cards; never ever wanted shiny new stuff anyway)?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Cash is king always will be....wait for reality to set in with Lower prices...much lower...if it doesn’t happens sit back and enjoy all the cash you have 😎
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Why would all cards move lower? I disagree - I think some high end and shiny cards will suffer but some low grade will be fine.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

If you collect as a hobby and for the enjoyment of collecting, buy whatever you want. Let's take a step back for just a moment. Acccording to Merriam-Webster, these are the definitions of "hobby" and "collecting"...

Definition of hobby -
: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

Definition of collecting -
: to gather an accumulation of (objects) especially as a hobby

If these are the reasons you are into cards, the money shouldn't matter. If you are investing, then it's a different story and the two terms don't really apply. Truth is, we are all going to be dead one day and none of it will matter.
If you fish or hunt as a hobby(just an example) you may spend thousands of dollars on gear, trips, etc. What do you have in the end??? Memories.
If you spending 10 hours a day reading posts about the current situation, losing sleep, stressing in general, then maybe this really isn't a hobby.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Scott Russell

I would say it's more a matter of; Whom is it safe to buy from?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
Admittedly naive, but my question now comes down to this: given what we know, and about whom, what is still "safe" to buy (among pre-WW2 cards; never ever wanted shiny new stuff anyway)?
I find it very safe to bring two fives to the bank and buy a ten, or four fives and buy a twenty. That’s about it.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Obviously, the lower the grade on a common card, the safer it is. I am partial to T205 for their color, highly identifiable and lifelike portraits and usually good registration, and T202 because I like that action photograph, plus you also get, basically, a T205 on each end. I also like the detailed, interesting biographies on the backs of these two issues.

Commons in nice shape can be found in the $20 to $50 range, so little risk.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Ethan

Default Safe...

Rare, low pop Ruth, Cobb, Wagner and Jackson.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
Rare, low pop Ruth, Cobb, Wagner and Jackson.
And if you're not swimming in cash, you're better off with oddball releases that don't command huge $$$. T206, 33 Goudeys, 52 Topps, and other big named HOFers are all big targets. Nothing is 100% safe, but you're better off with less popular issues. Shiny stuff seems to be open season. Holy hell, there are a lot of bad Mike Trouts out there.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Nothing, unfortunately, is completely safe it appears. IMO, it is open season and buyer beware. If there is a seller you trust implicitly, maybe. Otherwise I'm in a wait and see mode, which well and truly sucks.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 PM

Default So what's safe to buy?

That is one scary question.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default What is safe to buy?

IN the vintage arena I guess you have to really be careful. I am worried about hatchet jobs more than anything. It's probably a little safer to collect over sized cards...though, obviously they can be trimmed too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cy.jpg (78.1 KB, 612 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
IN the vintage arena I guess you have to really be careful. I am worried about hatchet jobs more than anything. It's probably a little safer to collect over sized cards...though, obviously they can be trimmed too.
I have put money on the sidelines for vintage. However bought a few packs of Topps series 2. Was nice to thumb through the cards slowly, look at the stats and read the bio... just like being a kid again.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

How about original photos where trimming/condition doesn't matter much?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 PM

I thought about just quoting #4, but here's another way to make the same point.

It is safe to buy:

- Cards that you are never going to sell (provided that you don't care if you might have trimmed cards in your PC)

- Cards that are worth a sufficiently small amount of money (relative to your total budget) that if you take a bath once it's discovered that they're trimmed, you don't really care about the money that you would lose selling them

If, one way or another, you see card collecting as simple consumption - like going to the movies or eating at a restaurant - then the current scandal isn't going to bother you much.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Nothing, unfortunately, is completely safe it appears. IMO, it is open season and buyer beware. If there is a seller you trust implicitly, maybe. Otherwise I'm in a wait and see mode, which well and truly sucks.
And I would bet my last card the people responsible for this state of stress haven't given one minute of thought to the psychic or economic damage they have caused.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
How about original photos where trimming/condition doesn't matter much?
Or memorabilia in general, for that matter. Still the risk of tampering, but on a lesser scale and with lesser consequences. But I think the question was meant to apply to cards, not sure there's much crossover between card and memorabilia collecting.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I would say it's more a matter of; Whom is it safe to buy from?
Aquarian Sports Cards, duh.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

There's risk in every transaction. Look at the mess another member got into making a legitimate Ebay sale and dealing with PayPal. You can let it ruin the hobby for you, keep you on the sidelines for a while and see what happens, or just accept it and try to minimize the risk as best as you can. I will be going with the last option I mentioned.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Aquarian Sports Cards, duh.
Well I'd like to think so, but all my posts aren'y intended to be self-serving lol.

Without going into details I didn't just sit back and hope for the best for the hobby with regards to the current problems, and there would be no direct benefit to myself.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
There's risk in every transaction. Look at the mess another member got into making a legitimate Ebay sale and dealing with PayPal. You can let it ruin the hobby for you, keep you on the sidelines for a while and see what happens, or just accept it and try to minimize the risk as best as you can. I will be going with the last option I mentioned.
For me this just confirms what I've known all along and I've had a methodology for trying to minimize the risk of altered cards for a long time. I'm waiting for a bit to see more certs exposed so I know whether I have to adjust my methodology at all, and I've completely punted one seller from consideration, but I think in the end it will continue to be proceed with caution rather than give up.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For me this just confirms what I've known all along and I've had a methodology for trying to minimize the risk of altered cards for a long time. I'm waiting for a bit to see more certs exposed so I know whether I have to adjust my methodology at all, and I've completely punted one seller from consideration, but I think in the end it will continue to be proceed with caution rather than give up.
I have tried to be cautious as well. At this point, I'm going pretty slow. It is fair to say that I still want new and better vintage cards. But at this point, if I'm sure of anything, I'm sure they won't be from PWCC, nor will I give much credence to anything that PSA, Beckett, or even SGC has to say. If I have the least doubt, I'm not going there right now.

I watched another one of my white whales get sold last night and I wasn't even tempted to bid. Didn't trust it. A year ago, I would have been all over it. Would have bid more. So it goes.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Or memorabilia in general, for that matter. Still the risk of tampering, but on a lesser scale and with lesser consequences. But I think the question was meant to apply to cards, not sure there's much crossover between card and memorabilia collecting.
Agreed but it's surprising. You would think anyone who enjoys baseball history, rarity, beautiful imagery, etc would gravitate to cards and memorabilia. I personally enjoy memorabilia more (photos & postcards) these days than ever, seem much more interesting than cards and condition isn't such a driving value factor.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 PM

Hank, Jeff +1

I've always counterbalanced my collection of cards (mostly focused on T206 rare backs) with memorabilia- Game Used Bats, ticket stubs, programs, vintage photos, etc.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 06-17-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Yea that's really all we can do if we want to continue in this hobby which should bring enjoyment, not stress and aggravation. I get enough of that in real life.

I've always wanted a signed Ruth or Ruth/gehrig ball, but I've heard for years how many fakes are out there. There won't be any before and after shots to expose the fakes for those. But when the time is right I will try to educate myself and hope some of the autograph experts here will be willing to assist.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 PM
Daniel

Default Z

Zeenuts!
Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Yea that's really all we can do if we want to continue in this hobby which should bring enjoyment, not stress and aggravation. I get enough of that in real life.

I've always wanted a signed Ruth or Ruth/gehrig ball, but I've heard for years how many fakes are out there. There won't be any before and after shots to expose the fakes for those. But when the time is right I will try to educate myself and hope some of the autograph experts here will be willing to assist.
Consider a period Yankees team-signed ball. It’s a very safe bet if you know what to look for. The secretarial versions of Ruth and Gehrig are quite easy to identify, and stand out like sore thumbs. They can be easily avoided.

Single-signed balls present much more problems, if you have authenticity concerns.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-18-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 AM
Brendan Mullen

So what's safe to buy?

Type I photos
Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I think it's all fine. Just like always you need to be careful.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Jay Cee

Postcards!!!! No need to trim and not as conditioned sensitive as most other issues. Not too mention, many collectors like the writing on the back with the stamp still on it. Nothing like having a USPS validation as to the mailing year.

Tyoe 1 photos and Postcards would be my vote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Consider a period Yankees team-signed ball. It’s a very safe bet if you know what to look for. The secretarial versions of Ruth and Gehrig are quite easy to identify, and stand out like sore thumbs. They can be easily avoided.

Single-signed balls present much more problems, if you have authenticity concerns.
I would have authenticity concerns with any ball purchased but will attempt to learn how to spots the obvious fakes or secretarial signatures at least. I would prefer a single or dual signed ball for aesthetic reasons but am not opposed to a nice team signed ball as long as Ruth and Gehrig would be legible and not too crowded by others.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Greta Garbo and Winston Churchill cards.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'm staying away from high grade PSA cards which I pretty much always have. Collecting rare cards that are not rare due to condition solely is probably a better way to go.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Pardom me for not reading all the marathon scam threads, but is SGC clear of all that?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Pardom me for not reading all the marathon scam threads, but is SGC clear of all that?

None of the grading companies are in the clear.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Cash is king always will be....wait for reality to set in with Lower prices...much lower...if it doesn’t happens sit back and enjoy all the cash you have 😎
I agree. Why give anyone ESPECIALLY PSA another nickel? They are supposed to have protected you from buying trimmed cards. They not only did not do what you paid them to do, their biggest dealer is sending in trimmed cards for high grades for over 15 years. That is just a rotten company...BOTH of them

Jim Stinson said it best.... If you piss in a glass of water, you have a glass of piss. PSA is Piss water
Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 AM
Larry P.

Are the older holders safer? What is the oldest holder so far that has a documented altered card? Or has this sh-t been going on for many years?

A recent major AH catalog has lots of PSA 10s and 9s in new holders.

Now I am hesitant to bid.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Johnny MaZilli

“A Fool And His Money are Soon Parted”

When I attend the National this year the lines at PSA and SGC will tell
me whether this is a lost cause or progress has been made....
I’m afraid the masses will still flock for their Newport Beach Slabs....if I see
Crazy lines there all week the beat will confine, nothing will change, no accountability, no real solution...same garbage. This will most likely be my Last national. Wish I didn’t already have the reservations, I don’t even feel like going to this crap show now.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-23-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Cards with hole punches.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 AM

I’ve never been a high condition buyer...and have always been skeptical of any piece of cardboard over 100 years old that looks too good...

Luckily my wallet made that decision for me 🤣

Seriously though, I would rather have a 1 or 2 of something that only a few other people have rather than a 9 or 10 of a card that is readily available to the masses. If that makes sense?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:10 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post
I’ve never been a high condition buyer...and have always been skeptical of any piece of cardboard over 100 years old that looks too good...

Seriously though, I would rather have a 1 or 2 of something that only a few other people have rather than a 9 or 10 of a card that is readily available to the masses. If that makes sense?
I agree 100%.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
“A Fool And His Money are Soon Parted”

When I attend the National this year the lines at PSA and SGC will tell
me whether this is a lost cause or progress has been made....
I’m afraid the masses will still flock for their Newport Beach Slabs....if I see
Crazy lines there all week the beat will confine, nothing will change, no accountability, no real solution...same garbage. This will most likely be my Last national. Wish I didn’t already have the reservations, I don’t even feel like going to this crap show now.
Those slabs come from Santa Ana. Newport Beach would be a very expensive place to set up shop.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Tom Re.bert

During this years National will PSA be able to

check a few cards in existing PSA holders for

trimmed or bleached cards?

Also if determined the card isn't as described

will they want to slab the card as authentic v/s a grade.

Last edited by Directly; 06-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post

There's nothing errant with collecting the cards, but I've found it telling with cards so plentiful that they only have value when graded a 10. Always seemed a convoluted way to give cards a value.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Like with most commodities, supply and demand ....

I just think in the long run you are better off with a cy young, ty cobb or babe Ruth that has an overall small population report, rather than a robin yount rookie in gem mint 10 that might only have a handful of 10’s but tens of thousands total in circulation.

That’s just what my head tells me and it’s just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I personally like to but vintage that are deemed "Authentic" . Usually get some really nice cards, that otherwise look Ex+ for a fraction of the costs.