NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2019, 01:33 PM
pete ullman

Default Sgc stepping up!

I know that it has been mentioned in the other thread’s but not everyone may be aware of this deal that SGC just announced.

The Crossover Special!!!
Pick a card, any card. Only $10!!!

Send in ANY graded card (regardless of value) in a competitor holder for our "Crossover" service for only $10!
So, how much can I submit my '52 Mantle in a PSA 5 for? The answer.....$10!!!
Set your minimums sky high or rock bottom low - it's entirely up to you!
What's the worst that can happen?
Your cards don't meet their minimum grade requirements and are sent back the exact same way in which they were sent in.
What's the best that can happen?
Your cards "cross" to SGC grades as good or even higher than the minimum you set!
Upcharges ONLY apply if the card "crosses" to the designated minimum grade or higher (we will always call for approval for any upcharge necessary).
To take advantage of this limited time offer, please call us at 800.742.9212 or email us at crossover@gosgc.com

Hopefully this will be just the beginning of a resurgence fir SGC...the most consistent of the big tppgersover time.

Viva SGC!!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ...

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Rob

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Bob Davies

IMO a good thing for SGC. My guess is they are trying to get more cards into their (new) holders.
Nothing wrong with them filling a void. I have to say my buying (and looking) habits have changed so much over the past couple of weeks. I cannot trust anything I see, so I need a small break.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’m going to guess that they won’t have to work extra hours to accommodate the deluge.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

How much is the upcharge?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
IMO a good thing for SGC. My guess is they are trying to get more cards into their (new) holders.
Nothing wrong with them filling a void. I have to say my buying (and looking) habits have changed so much over the past couple of weeks. I cannot trust anything I see, so I need a small break.
I feel the same way... really only buying modern cards that have released in the past month or so...
Old 06-05-2019, 03:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Same here.... great post!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

So... if I submit a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 5 for $10 then they charge me $10? But then an upcharge will apply if it crosses. So how much is the 1952 Mantle going to cost?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
So... if I submit a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 5 for $10 then they charge me $10? But then an upcharge will apply if it crosses. So how much is the 1952 Mantle going to cost?
Yeah, they have a golden opportunity here and they're blowing it by muddying the water.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Quote:
When did SGC get new holders? All my recent SGC cards have the same old holders and gaskets. They just have new labels.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:23 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I'm in...when they go back to flips that don't have size 50 font.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Coming Monday, or at least sometime soon.

I see the reason to promote the crossover at this time, but there is probably still more value in cards that clear PSA's review process. You can't just switch all the Set Registry money guys over to SGC in a year, and probably never. I expect more will leave the card industry rather than restart from scratch with a new grading company.

But if this special can be used to pre-screen cards for PSA's Grade Guarantee and then present SGC's findings of "Altered" to PSA, you would stand a better chance of a refund/current market value. If you set a min grade of 5, if it is altered will SGC just say "Didn't meet min grade" or do they say "Altered: recoloring" when it comes to a crossover submission? Because you could take all your in limbo vintage cards, send them to SGC for a min grade of SGC 10 Pristine+ Never Been Kissed, and they would evaluate them for alterations first. When they assign an EX grade, it doesn't meet their standards for SGC 10. They return all the cards to you for $10 each, in the PSA holders, along with the knowledge that they either didn't make Min Grade or they're Altered.

But if people don't mind if their cards cross over to SGC as a way to get them out of a tainted PSA/PWCC/Moser cert number, it might make some sense. I'd rather see them all returned to PWCC first, PSA second.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coming_monday.JPG (44.6 KB, 1022 views)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:31 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Really, is that info available somewhere? I have 2 or 3 in BCCG & GAI holders I'd like to move,
Old 06-06-2019, 03:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2577

Welcome to the "party", SGC?
Was:

Is:

He must have the entire 101 Crayola colors box...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM
pete ullman

U funny john!!! Id love to examine one under high magnification and hv/black light?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

shave and a haircut
ten bucks plus upcharge

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Tony Ooten

I contacted SGC about the upcharge on a 34 goudey Gehrig and a 33 Goudey Ruth #149 - both expecting to be SGC 1 .

He said $35 each less my initial $10
Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It would have been worth more as a PSA 8. I wonder if after it was “improved” if it was submitted to PSA but turned down.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM
J0hn Collin$

Aaah dammit. I was taking comfort in the fact that they had not yet been implicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Aaah dammit. I was taking comfort in the fact that they had not yet been implicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is only 1 card not 1000s like the others. That could actually just be a mistake by the grader.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The doctors are better than the graders, all graders, period.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
The doctors are better than the graders, all graders, period.
I agree ALL the graders at PSA and Beckett suck at their jobs. As bad as they are it would not surprise me if they got paid to pass those altered cards. People just can't be that bad at their jobs and keep them.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I agree ALL the graders at PSA and Beckett suck at their jobs. As bad as they are it would not surprise me if they got paid to pass those altered cards. People just can't be that bad at their jobs and keep them.
There are lots of disturbing allegations on BO about a warm and fuzzy relationship between Beckett and some of the notorious modern trimmers. And an epic thread about supposedly favorable grades for an ex employee.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

This is actually pretty clever marketing as well as great timing. Great for collectors too as you can send cards in trying for a crossover bump. If not successful you're only out 10 bucks + shipping. Just make sure you're sending in cards that if successful will have created enough value to cover the grading fees you will be charged.

Also great for those worried about cards that may or may not be altered and part of this Moser scandal. If nothing else you can get the cards out of holders with cert numbers that have been called out on blow out.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-17-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Including SGC
Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Including SGC
Am I missing something?

Or are you talking about the horrible autograph part of the company that they thankfully shut down?

Personally I would prefer them to stick strictly to cards. In my experience they do a damn fine job with them.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

SGC is still my go to grader (and of course an advertiser here) but I don't always agree with their assessments. I doubt I would agree with any of the TPGs all of the time though. They are all human so far...

Quote:
Am I missing something?

Or are you talking about the horrible autograph part of the company that they thankfully shut down?

Personally I would prefer them to stick strictly to cards. In my experience they do a damn fine job with them.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:46 PM
∆|@π ˘h3π

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If nothing else you can get the cards out of holders with cert numbers that have been called out on blow out.
...so like, use SGC to rinse your dirty cards is your suggested angle?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMntna2Young View Post
...so like, use SGC to rinse your dirty cards is your suggested angle?
I'm talking about the list of cert numbers that was posted with no evidence at all. My guess is many of those cards are fine, but the suspicion could hurt sales in the future, especially if one of those guys creates another post while an auction was live. I would not be happy if I owned one of those cards and if there was nothing done to it I'd still want it in a new holder.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
SGC is still my go to grader (and of course an advertiser here) but I don't always agree with their assessments. I doubt I would agree with any of the TPGs all of the time though. They are all human so far...
All this is still better than no third party graders with 2 middle aged guys who think they know everything and will break deals over 1 dollar of shipping arguing over what a 'Near Mint' Card is on an ebay transaction.

How many more cards would be returned percentage wise if no third party graders...40%? who knows

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-21-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm talking about the list of cert numbers that was posted with no evidence at all. My guess is many of those cards are fine, but the suspicion could hurt sales in the future, especially if one of those guys creates another post while an auction was live. I would not be happy if I owned one of those cards and if there was nothing done to it I'd still want it in a new holder.
My own presumption would be that if a card doctor submits a card, it's at least reasonably likely it's altered. It may not be, but I sure as hell wouldn't assume it isn't.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:42 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

IMO New grading is terrible. A PSA 8 (slight mc on back) became an sgc 4.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-21-2019, 12:10 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My own presumption would be that if a card doctor submits a card, it's at least reasonably likely it's altered. It may not be, but I sure as hell wouldn't assume it isn't.
True, I wouldn't assume anything one way or the other. Short of sending it in for a review or second opinion there isn't much else that can be done. If the "experts" at PSA, SGC, or BGS can't tell if a card is altered or not I doubt I will be able to.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-21-2019 at 12:24 PM.