NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-14-2019, 11:57 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default New Epson v370 scanner results

I have not had a flatbed scanner that was worth a darn in probably 15 years. Finally picked up this Epson off Amazon last week, because I have some old photo work to do for my family - but of course it will come in handy for cards as well.

Here are my first few test scans - this is in professional mode at 400 dpi. Let me know what you think - anyone else with an Epson scanner - any specific settings or tweaks you could recommend in dealing with cards? Especially slabs...? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-14-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 PM
David M.

Your scans look pretty good. This bit of advice appeared in an old thread on scanners.

It has to do with the type of scanning element used by the scanner (CCD vs CIS), not an adjustment of the focal depth. Generally speaking, scanners with CCD elements "see" more depth so that they can scan 3-dimensional objects (slabbed cards, books which do not lay flat on the glass, pins or buttons, even baseballs in some instances I've seen), whereas scanners with CIS elements generally require the object being scanned to be flat against the glass and are focused at that specific depth. I am not aware of any desktop flatbed scanner, of either element type, that allows the focal depth to be adjusted. Even with CCD scanners, if you wanted to optimize the scanning depth, you would need to raise or lower the object being scanned (as with the variable-height scanning trays for film scanning offered by betterscanning.com).

So does your new scanner have a CCD or CIS element?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Matthew

That’s definitely a CCD scanner. I have the V600 and it’s been worth all of the $120 I paid for it. I highly recommend one of these for scanning cards. Here’s a scan of my 56 Mantle.

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 06-16-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Default preventing reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
That’s definitely a CCD scanner. I have the V600 and it’s been worth all of the $120 I paid for it. I highly recommend one of these for scanning cards.
Dear Ignatius,

I'm using the v370 like OP and have never figured out how to keep it from what I suspect is reflecting the scanner light off the edges of PSA slabs and capturing that in the produced jpeg. Would you mind sharing your exact settings, to tell if it is perhaps something to do with the more robust 600 model, or if it is a setting that the 370 also has but I just don't have tweaked properly...?
Old 06-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Dear Ignatius,

I'm using the v370 like OP and have never figured out how to keep it from what I suspect is reflecting the scanner light off the edges of PSA slabs and capturing that in the produced jpeg. Would you mind sharing your exact settings, to tell if it is perhaps something to do with the more robust 600 model, or if it is a setting that the 370 also has but I just don't have tweaked properly...?

I’m traveling now but can send my settings when I get home. From what I can remember, I’m using 24 bit color with 400 dpi. A big trick for me is to scan with the lid open in a dark room. That really makes a sharp contrast to the black background. Hope that helps in the mean time!

Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
From what I can remember, I’m using 24 bit color with 400 dpi. A big trick for me is to scan with the lid open in a dark room. That really makes a sharp contrast to the black background.
Thanks, I did learn the lid-up trick a while back and use it exclusively, since I agree the rich black background makes the best images, but on mine I still get lots of reflective spots that are not present on the pic of your PSA slab, so we'd be interested in knowing the full details of your settings...

Last edited by Empty77; 06-15-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: condensed quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM
J0hn Collin$

Yes, mine is a CCD scanner. I did heed that research tip before I bought one this time around. My old one in the early 2000’s was a Cannon I think and it must have had the cheaper element because it didn’t have a separate power cord - plugged directly into your computer and the USB powered it from there. That was nice, but it did suck at scanning depth. The early PSA slabs I had back then I remember did not look good scanned w/ that scanner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Thanks, I did learn the lid-up trick a while back and use it exclusively, since I agree the rich black background makes the best images, but on mine I still get lots of reflective spots that are not present on the pic of your PSA slab, so we'd be interested in knowing the full details of your settings...

Here’s an image of the epson scan palette. Everything should be there

Old 06-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks. What about sizing in the Pro mode? I had tried using the Pro mode before like you show, but fell back to using the Office mode since on that one it was easy to create a sizing profile for slabs of differing dimensions--but I gave on Pro when I couldn't get it to give me that control...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 AM
Jason B.

Quote:
My setup looks very similar on the Epson V600, and I love the scan quality.
Only differences are:
--I scan at 300 dpi rather than 400, as the size of .TIF files is more manageable that way.
--I do use the Descreening tool at 175 lpi as well, in addition to the Unsharp Mask.

I use Pro Mode as well, with a cracked SGC half slab placed horizontally across the lower lip of the scanner bed, and then the slab I'm scanning placed vertically flush up against that slab. Gives a nice even placement every time that way.
Then I use the Autolocator tool after Preview scan to approximate card and manually adjust borders to fit the slab, prior to the final Scan.
Scanning several cards at the same time is more efficient, to cut down on resizing all the time.
I always scan in a fully blacked-out room, with lid open for best results

I love this scanner, and can't imagine not having my entire collection to view this way.

66008.jpg
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 06-23-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Matthew

Cool. I also use the auto-locator tool to create a bounding box for an individual card. I usually bring it out a bit to capture a nice border of black. Then I copy that bounding box and use it for the other cards in the scan. This allows me to get about 4 cards per scan each with the same bounding box. All in all, the V600 has allowed me to enjoy my collection a lot better through Flickr as well as creating better scans for sales or trades.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Hi, are all V600's and V370's CCD? Any strong preference for one or the other?

I am in the market for a scanner which I have never had before. I would use almost exclusively for graded cards. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
Hi, are all V600's and V370's CCD? Any strong preference for one or the other?

I am in the market for a scanner which I have never had before. I would use almost exclusively for graded cards. Thanks.

Yes to my knowledge both of those are CCD’s.