NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Mike Mullins

Default Small Cracker Jack find - my first

Last month I flew to central Montana for a family visit. While we were all together, my aunt and mother in law were going though some of my grandmother's old albums. My MIL, who knows I like old baseball cards, called me over and said "Here's something you might want to see." She showed me one page from the album:

Then another:

And then:

I was dumbfounded. I've always read about cards in scrapbooks but never had the fortune to see any first-hand. And nice cards too! Not the top stars from the set, but a couple Hall of Famers, and a hall of shamer too...

I was especially thrilled that they were something from the family. I don't have any other family cards, unless you count my brother's 1977 Eddie Murray rookie... We're not totally sure who put the scrapbook together, but it spans the teens through the 50s and mostly contains recipes, news articles, etc. These are the only sports cards. I'd love to know their story - this part of Montana 100 years ago was very rural and remote, so a box of Cracker Jacks would have been a real treat.

Condition-wise, I was impressed by how clean and new some of the cards look, almost like they went straight from the box into the scrapbook. Four are crease free. On the downside, they're securely glued to the pages, and someone penciled in other names on the tops of each card. I was thrilled that my aunt and uncle let me take them home, but they aren't going to win any grading contests.

I don't know much about the Cracker Jack sets. Please enlighten me! Someone snuck a peek at the back of Rickey and it's printed upside down, so at least that one is from 1915, right? I assume the rest are as well, but they slightly wrinkled the card in the process and I almost died. Someone else dinged a corner on the Maranville as well - people stop picking at them! - so I put them away before anyone else got any bright ideas.

I would appreciate opinions and advice on how best to preserve and protect these. I won't mess with the pencil marks, but I would consider removing the cards from the pages. I have soaked scrapbook paper off a few t-cards with good success before, but not Cracker Jacks. Has anyone had luck removing these? Did I read that soaking makes the red bleed into the borders? I know different glues react differently to water, and I thought I could test the glue by trying to soak off one of the non sports cards first. Is it worth contacting a professional conservator for help? Any recommendations?

Or maybe I'll just leave the cards on the pages. They do make a nice display, and keeping them together preserves their history as a group. Either way, I have no intention to sell them. They are special and I'd like the cards to stay in the family.

Thanks for your input and expertise. I always learn something when I come here. Have a great day and happy collecting. Cards are still out there!

Mike