NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Default Looking for a some Cardinals cards for a young man battling cancer

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, just wasn't sure where to do it.
I don't typically like to share a lot of personal stuff on the boards that I'm on, like to keep it fun, and about cards. But, I'm looking to pick up some St. Louis Cardinal cards, specifically Yadi and Carlos Martinez stuff.
Some friends of mine, Jon and Jen Self of Springfield, IL have a son Tyler who is 9. I will tell you, this is the strongest kid I have ever met in my life. When he was 3, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. He battled that for 2-3 years and beat it. It was a tough road for the family but we all thought he was in the clear. Things were good and got back to normal. This past February, he was diagnosed with leukemia and the outlook wasn't good. They gave him about a month. Obviously this news was a shock and completely devastating. As a parent, I can't begin to imagine what they were going through, or any other parent of a child with cancer. He began chemo and then underwent a bone marrow transplant. After his release from the hospital in St. Louis, they spent 3 months living there so he would be close for appointments, etc. He was recently released to come back home to Springfield and things are looking positive at this point but he is a little limited in what he can do or people he can be around, etc...at this point. He is a big Cardinals fan(why I have no idea, lol) and his favorite players are Carlos Martinez and Yadier Monlina. I'm tying to get together a bunch of cards to take to him to give him another thing to do. I am a little limited I what I have for newer stuff but am pulling together any cardinals stuff that I have.
I would be interested in any lots that people might have available. Regular cards, game used, oddball stuff, etc. Please let me know what you might have and how much you want for it.
I would really appreciate any assistance!
Thanks guys!!

Tim
Old 08-26-2018, 03:11 PM
And.rew Whi.te

My dad always said if you don't ask you never know the answer so with that I would say this.....

You would probably want to reach out to the community relations department of the Cardinals and tell them this story. At worst you get nothing and at best you may get an invite to a ball game for the child and his family to meet his favorite players. It never hurts to ask. I would call them instead of sending an email to a generic email address. They will probably ask yo what you are looking for in terms of outcome of contacting them so shoot for the moon and ask for some tickets to the game and to meet the players. All they can say is no and send an autographed baseball. It is certainly worth a try.

Good luck on helping this child out. It sounds like an awesome thing to do.

Last edited by whitehse; 08-26-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

A couple weeks before he was released, the Cardinals hosted several kids cancer patients from the hospital. Had their own area so they weren't around too many other people and took pretty good care of them, from what I heard. Even though I'm a Cub fan, I for sure respect the Cardinal organization for what they do in their community.
It just hit me one day as I was going thru some packs of cards and kept running in to Cardinals players. I asked his mom and she said he does collect cards but he doesn't have many. How the heck is this possible that a 9 year old baseball fan doesn't have many cards!!! Lol, I knew I had to rectify the situation!
Old 08-26-2018, 03:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Have you thought of taking this more national? If you get the word out through social media, maybe people from across the country could start sending this brave little guy cards, etc., through the mail. It would certainly add excitement for him as the mail comes in each day. Of course, the parents may not want their address out there, or a PO box could be established? Food for thought. Great luck!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Ah ok. The Cardinals are a first class organization and it is great to see that they took care of all of these kids. I don't have any newer cards so sadly I cannot contribute but good luck in your quest.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Tony

Please PM your address. I have a couple small boxes of newer stuff I would be happy to look through. Not sure what’s in there but anything that may be of interest will be sent your way for Tyler. Hopefully you’re able to bring some happiness to the family.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Michael S.

PM sent

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 08-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Have you thought of taking this more national? If you get the word out through social media, maybe people from across the country could start sending this brave little guy cards, etc., through the mail. It would certainly add excitement for him as the mail comes in each day. Of course, the parents may not want their address out there, or a PO box could be established? Food for thought. Great luck!

I posted here and on Collectors Universe Forums. I truly don't think there is a more generous group of people than cards collectors. I think if I reached out on a bigger area, he might be so overwhelmed, lol. I too thought about just having cards delivered directly to him as mail is always fun for kids to get. I just didn't want to put their address out there without asking. Also, this way I can thank each and every person for their generosity!
Thanks to everyone for their responses so far!!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Howard Chasser

Default have a lot of 1980's-early 90's

My kids (9&11) and I have a lot of about 1,000 Cardinals from the mid 1980's to the mid 1990's. If you think Tyler would enjoy them - pm me the address to send them to.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Po.well Mill.er

Tim,

What is the address?

Thanks,

Powell
Old 08-26-2018, 08:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Would the young man be interested in a Cardinals 1952 Topps Billy Johnson?

PM me your info and I'll try my best to get it out within the next 2-3 days if you think he would?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy Johnson 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Wow, the responses here and at CU have been amazing! I really appreciate everyone's generosity. I'm sure he will love and of the cards he gets. I have been pulling out old stuff, new stuff and anything Cardinals I can find in my stash. Hoping he has fun sorting thru stuff and learning about some of the older players that he has never heard of. I know some people wanted to send stuff direct but I didn't feel great giving out their address. I have provided my address to folks who have asked but what I thought about was that if anyone who wants to send something, can send it to the address below but addressed to him. That way I will give them all to him unopened and he can have a few fun "mail days"! I told his mom today I was working on "something" for him. She's a bit of a clean freak and doesn't like clutter. I told her too bad, lol. Anyhow, thank you all so much for your responses, messages, contributions and well wishes!!

Tim

Tyler Self
2433 S. Lowell Ave
Springfield, IL 62704
Old 08-27-2018, 04:50 AM
Tony

What years is he looking for? I am sure I have some team sets I can send along
Old 08-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
What years is he looking for? I am sure I have some team sets I can send along
I don't think anything specific. His mom said he collects but doesn't have much. Sounds like that is soon to change with all the generosity from the boards!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

A big thanks to those of you who have sent items for Tyler. Received quite a few packages in the mail the last couple days. Plan to drop off what I have this weekend!