NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2024, 02:49 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Default eBay buys Goldin

Rumor is that eBay is buying Goldin! That's wild. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming!
Old 04-06-2024, 06:02 AM
octavio ranzola

I have a beach house near ken at the jersey shore ,,I’ll have him buy me a steak ..

Last edited by rjackson44; 04-06-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:20 AM
qualitycards

Thought that PSA had purchased Goldin awhile ago
So PSA sold Goldin to ebay?
Hard to keep up w/ the high finance hobby of ours
Old 04-06-2024, 06:24 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Jay lol your right
Old 04-06-2024, 06:52 AM
Paul Lehr

Should this have been posted on April 1st?

But in all seriousness, nothing in this hobby surprises me anymore so who knows.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:25 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Last edited by Mark17; 04-06-2024 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:31 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
It's no hobby.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-06-2024, 07:50 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

It is interesting because eBay generally acquires companies without any intention of integrating operations. However, I can imagine acquiring Goldin gives them a more targeted customer list and the ability to touch the high-end market.

I am more surprised another non-sport auction house didn’t acquire them.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 04-06-2024, 08:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Rumor is that eBay is buying Goldin! That's wild. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming!
Where did this rumor come from?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:27 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Where did this rumor come from?
The OP has been suggesting it for some time.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I found some info on Blowout:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1581750
Go to post #18

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-06-2024 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

If true, one wonders what went south from PSA's perspective and why Nat and his partners made this move. The speculation is not new, although I can't recall if Travis was the only previous source.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-06-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Why would they buy an auction company? That seems completely out of the norm. I would be surprised but I have been surprised before. I just can't imagine what they would do with it if they bought it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If true, one wonders what went south from PSA's perspective and why Nat and his partners made this move. The speculation is not new, although I can't recall if Travis was the only previous source.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:39 AM
Hank Thomas

Then they'll both get gobbled up by Fanatics, which will be acquired by Musk.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:31 AM
Dave

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2852.jpeg (64.6 KB, 1220 views)
Old 04-06-2024, 10:44 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
It's no hobby.
Aint that the truth
Old 04-06-2024, 11:08 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
To clarify, I don't have any actual inside knowledge of the deal. I'm just parroting what I heard from some friends in the hobby yesterday. Supposedly an announcement will be made on Monday. I guess we'll see if that comes to fruition or not. When I said it back at the beginning of March I was just making a prediction based on what I know about how ebay operates and where their interests lie. I know a lot of people at ebay, some high up, but I haven't spoken to any of them about it, and even if I tried, they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell me anything.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:17 AM
Chase

Quote:
When I said it back at the beginning of March I was just making a prediction based on what I know about how ebay operates and where their interests lie. I know a lot of people at ebay, some high up, but I haven't spoken to any of them about it, and even if I tried, they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell me anything.
Stop Travis...this is absurd. I know 2 massive sellers on eBay who have no idea how ebay operates nor where there interests lie and they are doing tens of millions a year on the site.

PWCC is a better fit for eBay than Goldin and as you told us PWCC was booted not due to shill bidding but because they had their own platform...the same platform that Goldin has because he was in direct competition with PWCC.

Next, Nat has been trying to get rid of Goldin for quite sometime and rumors have swirled for at least a year.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:26 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

So the source is this dudes anonymous friends having a discussion. Why is the thread title an absolute statement?

Perhaps it will become true, perhaps it will not. This title appears to be blatantly fake news though.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Stop Travis...this is absurd. I know 2 massive sellers on eBay who have no idea how ebay operates nor where there interests lie and they are doing tens of millions a year on the site.

PWCC is a better fit for eBay than Goldin and as you told us PWCC was booted not due to shill bidding but because they had their own platform...the same platform that Goldin has because he was in direct competition with PWCC.

Next, Nat has been trying to get rid of Goldin for quite sometime and rumors have swirled for at least a year.
Well greg morris has a new marketplace. Guess they will be kicked off ebay as well....not

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-06-2024, 01:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Well greg morris has a new marketplace. Guess they will be kicked off ebay as well....not
Let's not forget this ebay quote from the news back in '21

"In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings. At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.

“Recently it was determined that individuals associated with a trading card seller, PWCC, have engaged in ‘shill bidding,’ which is prohibited on eBay,” the statement claimed. "

Last edited by Leon; 04-06-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:14 PM
Chase

Quote:
Let's not forget this ebay quote from the news back in '21

"In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings. At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.

“Recently it was determined that individuals associated with a trading card seller, PWCC, have engaged in ‘shill bidding,’ which is prohibited on eBay,” the statement claimed. "

Here is a copy and paste of that email they sent out to every member who has bid with PWCC.

"As one of the world’s largest marketplaces, eBay has policies in place to protect our buyers and sellers. eBay was founded on trust, and we work every day to ensure a fair and positive experience for the entire eBay community.
Recently, it was determined that individuals associated with a trading card seller, PWCC, have engaged in “shill bidding,” which is prohibited on eBay. As a result, eBay has restricted PWCC’s selling privileges and listings, effective today. eBay’s policies and standards were designed to ensure a trusted marketplace where our community can transact with confidence. If we determine that a buyer or seller is not acting in good faith, eBay takes this seriously and takes action. Our customer service team will work directly with anyone who has a question about a recent PWCC transaction [link].

eBay is the destination for buying and selling trading cards - built over 25 years with our passionate community of collectors and sellers, as partners, on that journey. Trust is the cornerstone of eBay, which is why we felt it was important to share this information with our community. We assure you that eBay will continue to take actions to deliver on our commitment.

eBay sent this e mail to you at XX about your account registered on eBay.com.

eBay will periodically send required e mails to you about the site and your transactions. Visit our Privacy Notice and User Agreement if you have any questions."

Been talked about at length but no company is going to expose themselves to a libel suit by going so far out of their way to accuse someone in this fashion unless they have all the evidence they need. Why eBay picked that time to do it is a whole other discussion but for one to say they know eBay made this statement because eBay was upset with PWCC for having their own site is...silly...well worse than that but let's stick with silly.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:49 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
I hope GameUsedUniverse website was part of the deal 🤣 I hate seeing that website sitting there inactive. Such a waste. It was the only game used website. Miss interacting with so many of those guys 🥲
Old 04-06-2024, 07:23 PM
Rich Klein

Default I will remind everyone

That a couple of years ago the big hobby story going around was Panini being purchased/gobbled up by Fanatics.

That was going to be announced at the Industry Summit.

Both companies are still separate

If and when this becomes fact, we'll talk

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-06-2024 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:39 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
I hope GameUsedUniverse website was part of the deal 🤣 I hate seeing that website sitting there inactive. Such a waste. It was the only game used website. Miss interacting with so many of those guys 🥲
It was a good site .

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 04-06-2024, 08:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
It was a good site .
I miss it too.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-06-2024, 10:00 PM

If this is true a few alarm bells with eBay diversifying this way.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:00 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
Ive tried reaching out to possibly purchase it numerous times but all I get is crickets.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:50 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Ive tried reaching out to possibly purchase it numerous times but all I get is crickets.
I realize the archived info is very valuable, but couldn't a new site, similar in structure, be created? Then invite as many members of the old site that we can remember. If you could get Hillerich, Grob, Specht to join and be active, that would be a great start. I'll bet once word got out that a new GUU was up and running, and the above-named stars were members, within a year you'd have a vibrant community.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am just curious, is there some reason that the memorabilia side of this forum can't do that? It can be broken down into multiple sections...as the autograph section was done.

And I wouldn't be opposed to having a game used person run that section either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I realize the archived info is very valuable, but couldn't a new site, similar in structure, be created? Then invite as many members of the old site that we can remember. If you could get Hillerich, Grob, Specht to join and be active, that would be a great start. I'll bet once word got out that a new GUU was up and running, and the above-named stars were members, within a year you'd have a vibrant community.

Last edited by Leon; 04-07-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:58 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Great idea!
Old 04-07-2024, 09:01 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
I am just curious, is there some reason that the memorabilia side of this forum can't do that? It can be broken down into multiple sections...as the autograph section was done.

Leon, if that was done, once the word got out, it would be a hit! Man, you guys got me excited just thinking about it! Thanks!!!!
Old 04-07-2024, 09:10 AM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
I have a beach house near ken at the jersey shore ,,I’ll have him buy me a steak ..
get over yourself

AF15
Old 04-07-2024, 09:46 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPaper View Post
get over yourself

I'm pretty sure he was just making a joke.

Octavio doesn't need me to defend him, but he's probably the least snobby guy on this site. Apologies in advance to any other entities who might also qualify for the newly crowned award of "Least Snobby Collector On Net54".

Old 04-07-2024, 10:37 AM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I'm pretty sure he was just making a joke.

Octavio doesn't need me to defend him, but he's probably the least snobby guy on this site. Apologies in advance to any other entities who might also qualify for the newly crowned award of "Least Snobby Collector On Net54".

Then let me officially retract my aforementioned statement sarcasm isnt always easy to detect in typed words. Carry on.

AF15
Old 04-07-2024, 10:40 AM
octavio ranzola

Thanks Dave hope your well paul is a good guy no harm no foul..but anyway good for Ken ,,and a gorgeous day at the jersey shore..everyone have a nice sunday
Old 04-07-2024, 11:34 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

I have thought this for a long time, having come here as a best alternative when GUU left Chris Cavalier's control and began it's rapid descent into irrelevance, but didn't feel right about suggesting you do all that work. This is your site and it isn't my prerogative to suggest how you run it.

But since you mention it, I think it would be a fantastic idea. There are some GU enthusiasts here already, but if a GU section was built out, I think a lot more collectors would join.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:37 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark17 View Post
i have thought this for a long time, having come here as a best alternative when guu left chris cavalier's control and began it's rapid descent into irrelevance, but didn't feel right about suggesting you do all that work. This is your site and it isn't my prerogative to suggest how you run it.

But since you mention it, i think it would be a fantastic idea. There are some gu enthusiasts here already, but if a gu section was built out, i think a lot more collectors would join.
👍🏻💯👍🏻💯👍🏻💯
Old 04-08-2024, 01:58 PM
Tony Baldwin

Ken,

What, if any, plans do you have for GameUsedUniverse? There has been a lot of talk lately going on within the game used community about having a dedicated game used website again. One person in this thread has made attempts to try to purchase GameUsedUniverse, but never received a response.

Yes, anyone could go start their own site, but GameUsedUniverse has a great history in the hobby, the format and layout is already established, and it’s just sitting there inactive, ready for someone to bring it back to life.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2024, 02:00 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
So much tougher to get traction with a new site vs existing. With forums especially it's practically impossible these days
Old 04-08-2024, 02:07 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
So much tougher to get traction with a new site vs existing. With forums especially it's practically impossible these days
Agree! I think if Ken doesn't have plans for GameUsedUniverse, and he is willing to let it go and give it back to the game used community, it's a great day for everyone!
Old 04-10-2024, 05:41 AM
Daryl

Frosty was right!

eBay, Collectors Enter into Commercial Agreement, Sign Deals for Acquisition of Goldin by eBay and Acquisition of the eBay Vault by PSA

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news...-vault-by-psa/
Old 04-10-2024, 06:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I'll be darned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Frosty was right!

eBay, Collectors Enter into Commercial Agreement, Sign Deals for Acquisition of Goldin by eBay and Acquisition of the eBay Vault by PSA

Old 04-10-2024, 06:48 AM

I haven’t bought anything off eBay or from Goldin in years (neither generally have what I collect), and I have never used a vault- so while very interesting, this will have zero impact on the way I buy, sell, and hold cards.

I think it’s particularly curious that eBay, and auction site, buys Goldin, an auction house.

Also, I’d be interested to hear what Probstein, Greg Morris and others who use eBay as their primary sales outlet think of this.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:25 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Frosty was right!

Seems more of a convoluted merger, then a sale. Hard to tell for sure based on that press release. I haven’t seen that many meaningless buzzwords in one place since Coca-Cola came out with “New Coke”.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:06 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

If it means Goldin items will come up on eBay searches, so we don't have to use Goldin's system, it sounds like an improvement. Although, like adding a special at a Vegan restaurant, I still won't find anything to eat.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2024, 08:09 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Seems more of a convoluted merger, then a sale. Hard to tell for sure based on that press release. I haven’t seen that many meaningless buzzwords in one place since Coca-Cola came out with “New Coke”.
At the very least a very involved partnership. When the relationship is convoluted but the people quoted talk about how simple everything is going to be for the consumer I hold onto my wallet...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-10-2024, 08:16 AM
Daryl

Darren Rovell article:

https://www.cllct.com/sports-collect...es-up-industry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-10-2024, 08:58 AM
Eric Perry

If I purchase an item from Goldin, will it now go through eBay Authenticity Guarantee?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-10-2024, 09:48 AM
Chase

Yeah I am not sure what this will look like but what an incestuous business this has become with complete acquisitions in competing entities, asset swapping, minority interests in complementary entities. Rubin, eBay or Turner should just pull out their checkbook and get everything under one roof.

From the sound of this release this did not sound like a sale, but as suggested above, more of a partnership and Turner pretty much confirms this.

“This will benefit The Hobby above all else, which is the primary goal of this innovative partnership between eBay and PSA,” said Collectors CEO Nat Turner. “We will drastically improve the collector experience by creating a seamless, end-to-end journey. No matter an individual collector’s goals, this partnership will make collecting safer, easier and more fun. We’re excited to combine the scale and trust across eBay's global marketplace with PSA's authentication and grading expertise.”