NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM
pete ullman

Default The Old Brick and Mortar Card Store

I was cruising a neighborhood foreign to me yesterday afternoon and I stumbled across a sportscard store...against my better judgment I went in to see if they had any vintage.

Amongst the mix of mostly shiny stuff...there were a few hundred cards from the 50's-80's...and then I spotted a small handful of vintage...practically hidden...there were:

-1 t201 common in g...for $150
-1 t202 common in g for $200
-1 T212 Obak common in g ...for $80

I asked one of the guys if they had any more vintage...and the response was how the 2 guys that used to bring it in have since stopped and that they need to more actively seek it out and that I should check back soon because they buy like no other!

IT's funny how when you usually see vintage at these B & M stores(if u see any at all)...the prices are stratospheric!!!!!

It's as if these guys(owners) are in denial that the internet even exists?!?!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

as they pick up their rotary phone to answer a call......
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I have not walked into a brick and mortar card store in years. To at least a certain extent, though, I get the fact that a brick and mortar store can't compete with prices on eBay. But the delusion of many eBay sellers seems even more far-fetched in some cases.

This eBay listing caught my attention earlier. The exact same card sold for $1,553 last month at Heritage. Current eBay BIN price? $5,799 or best offer. I am a Phillies fan, so I know that Sealtest stickers are pretty hard to come by, but even half price of that BIN seems pretty far-fetched, IMO. We have all seen eBay listings that have been on the site for years and will never sell.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...05&lotNo=42017

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Sealtes...item53f5c801d7

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-07-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Tom Boblitt

We only have a couple stores here in Louisville. I generally only stop in if I need boxes or plastic sheets. They have no vintage BB nor nonsports. Just new stuff. Both nice guys though. The one has had vintage occasionally and knows it's worth and prices it accordingly. Took some in on consignment and stuck it up on ebay. I would never bid on anything they do because I know they have had people shill in the past.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I went into a nice coin and card shop in Williamsburg VA....it was a little high, but consistent...there were a couple of good buys, just not on stuff I was collecting. We had a great conversation and I bought a $50 card I should have probably paid a little less for. He told me that next time he'd rather me bring some cards in to trade...and I completely believe him.

I also go into a B&M store everytime i am in Huntington...have gotten a couple of good buys over the years.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

there are 2 card shops by me...i have no clue how they stay in business. one at least has the good sense to sell pok-e-mon cards.

i have to assume they also list their stock on ebay...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I went into a nice coin and card shop in Williamsburg VA....it was a little high, but consistent...there were a couple of good buys, just not on stuff I was collecting. We had a great conversation and I bought a $50 card I should have probably paid a little less for. He told me that next time he'd rather me bring some cards in to trade...and I completely believe him.
I go to that shop a few times a year when I'm down in Williamsburg or passing through. I too have overpaid for a card there, but the owner, Guy, is nice and has some good stories. Last time I was in, he wanted to buy my T206 set and went on to tell me a story about when he was bidding on a T206 Wagner.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I was cruising a neighborhood foreign to me yesterday afternoon and I stumbled across a sportscard store...against my better judgment I went in to see if they had any vintage.

Amongst the mix of mostly shiny stuff...there were a few hundred cards from the 50's-80's...and then I spotted a small handful of vintage...practically hidden...there were:

-1 t201 common in g...for $150
-1 t202 common in g for $200
-1 T212 Obak common in g ...for $80

I asked one of the guys if they had any more vintage...and the response was how the 2 guys that used to bring it in have since stopped and that they need to more actively seek it out and that I should check back soon because they buy like no other!

IT's funny how when you usually see vintage at these B & M stores(if u see any at all)...the prices are stratospheric!!!!!

It's as if these guys(owners) are in denial that the internet even exists?!?!
If I ever go into Sports Card stores when I'm traveling, their inventory, prices, product placement of vintage cards always cracks me up. It's always EXACTLY like peter says.

It's like they put care into exactly which mundane vintage cards they have chosen to put in the bottom back shelf - a vg t206 in a screw down, maybe a panel from a t202, possibly a strip card and of course a Goudey 4 in 1 with no HOFers.

it's almost like their showcase was set up by a set designer for a tv show or something. Out of central casting - all these card shops vintage inventory seem exactly the same! Cracks me up.