NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Julie

Oh wow...

Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Gary B.

Who woulda f*cking thunk it??? AMAZING!!!

Old 10-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Hats off to Francona and his guys, they definitely earned it. I've been dying for this moment since '86 and I'll barely be able to contain myself until Saturday.

P.S.: Hey, New York...Who's your Daddy?

Old 10-21-2004, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Mark Rios

...get a grip. it is still twenty-six world champs...
vs. the sawx, have um, er, oh.....

Old 10-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: runscott

kinda like: "hey, but we won last year...yeah!"

I can only hope that if the Astros manage to win tonight, that the curse hold true for one more series!

Old 10-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I liked the curse. Now I like that it is gone. But no more excuses when Boston screws up now - it is not the Bambino. You have to be a real team now. I am so proud! It is like the little baby bird finally leaving the nest.

Gonna love Clemens murderin' ya.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Scott Forrest

"Don't worry about it guys. The important thing to remember is that we won last year, and overall we have done much better historically than Boston. Besides, we probably would have lost in the World Series anyway. You guys have a good off-season...Hey, Kevin - want to go fishing this weekend?...oh yeah, George want to see us..."

Old 10-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Anonymous

Don't be too hard on Mark and all the other Yankee fans. The only way they can possibly get over last nights crushing collapse is to talk about previous success. The fact is that and the fact they can chant who's your Daddy to Pedro is all they have left THIS year.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Bob

The BoSox won't have to worry about Clemens, they better worry about Woody and Matt and Albert.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

I'm glad they are going to go ahead and play the game anyway. But I understand that the Astros will lose - I heard that for games 2,3 and 4 as well.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

don't care if the Sox beat the Astros or the Cards, as long as they win.

The Red Sox break the curse! The Red Sox break the curse! The Red Sox break the curse!

Old 10-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: barrysloate

I don't think Steinbrenner will fire Torre, because he'd fear another team would pick him up in a heartbeat. Cashman might go, because there's always a scapegoat. But does Torre need the aggravation? He's over 65, has a young wife and young kids, and is a multimillionaire. Does this four game collapse give him a good reason to pack it in and get on with the rest of his life? Isn't nine years enough? Besides, unless Steinbrenner sinks another $40-50 million into next year's payroll, does he really have that great a team for 2005? Everyone is either too old or too self centered. Maybe it's time for a change.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: qualitycards

"either too old or too self centered"
Who are you referring to? The Yanks play as a team and do what they can to compete. If you are referring to Arod, he joined NY and played a new position, he made no demands to be SS or else!
When I think of self centered, I think of Sosa, he refused to bat down in the batting order when he had a slump, and he didn't even show up for the last game of the year. Baker's gonna have his hands full of him next year, no steroids or corked bats equals no production from him.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Too old: Bernie Williams, Kevin Brown, Tony Clark, Jason Giambi (who is chronologically not that old but steroids have added ten years to his body). Too self-centered: Gary Sheffield, who had a great season but in situations where he could advance a runner swings like he needs to hit a homer every time; Kevin Brown on this one too, who is not liked by his teammates or the fans; even A-Rod who doesn't always seem to have his head in the game. I'm not saying the Yankees are not a good team, but the parts are wearing down and even Mariano has logged a lot of innings, and when the Yankees think of adding free agents they focus on guys like Randy Johnson who is great for a couple of post season starts but is over 40. Why don't the Yanks start developing young talent from the minors- everyone complains that N.Y. fans wouldn't stand for it, but they seemed to allow Derek Jeter to work his way up the system. They have to stop going after old overpriced talent, or overpriced mediocre talent like Loiza and Vazquez, and start developing some young arms.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Josh K.

Last time I checked, the Sox hadnt won a world series title since 1918. They have won a handful of pennants since then ('67, '75, '86). Until you win the Series, assume the curse lives on.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

until they get past the NL Champs...but at least the Yankees are done for the year. We knew that regardless of who won last night's game, there would be a lot of unhappy millionaires with nothing to do.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

and funny at the same time.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Should anyone actually believe in the curse (I don't) wasn't the curse brought about by the Yankees stealing Babe Ruth from the Red Sox? And isn't this the first time since 1918 that the Red Sox have beaten the Yankees in a critical post-season match-up? If so, then the curse has been broken. After all, Red Sox fans have no beef with the Cardinals. They are just a good National league team. They didn't steal their greatest player from them.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

was a good price....

Old 10-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Harry Frazee ostensibly sold Ruth because he "needed money." The implication is if he needed money, he undersold him; however who's to say what a ballplayer is worth in 1920 dollars. I guess Ruth developed into a little bit better hitter than the Red Sox would have thought.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Old 10-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: rick

Anybody care to calculate how much that is in today dollars?

Old 10-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

so Julie, you are in good company. The Times, stuttering the morning after the Red Sox turn-around, described the Ruth "thing" as the worst "trade" in baseball history. I guess it was a trade for cash. I read the NY Times each morning (it's free on the internet), and throughout the year as the Red Sox repeatedly crawled to within striking distance, only to falter, the NY Times struck out at the team and their fans quite unprofessionally at times, reminding them of where they would inevitably finish the season. So it's good to see that rag eat a little crow.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

" $125,000 and a $300,000 loan to Boston owner, Harry Frazee."--Baseball Enclyclopedia, 1989.

That would be quite a chunk of change, today, although not as big as it might have been. The SF Public Library coast 1.2 million dollars to build in 1917; it cost $170,000,000 (and counting) to convert it into a museum. Where I work--for nothing!

Lajoie--1902--"cash." Jackson, 1915: Braggo Roth, Larry Chappell, Ed Klepfer and $31,000.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: honus3415

According to an inflation calculator I found on the internet.....

$125,000 in 1918 would equal $1,791,174.59 in 2004.

Not too much when you consider the "bling bling" hanging from some of these athlete's bodies, AND THAT'S JUST DURING THE GAME!!!!

Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: john/z28jd

Im also going with the notion that theres no curse because theres too many teams that havent won the world series in a long long time,which means eventually all the teams except one wont be cursed and then you have the ultimate dynasty

but if you do believe that its the curse of the bambino then common sense would say the curse is over.Besides i never considered it to be the curse of the bambino,i thought of it as the curse of Waite Hoyt because he joined the Yankees for the 1921 season from the Red Sox,the first year the Yankees actually went to the w.s. The Yankees finished 3rd the 1st year they got Ruth.Who's to say the Yankees wouldve ever went on their w.s run if the Sox didnt give away a 20 year future hall of fame pitcher.

The Sox have also won 5 world series btw,only 4 franchises have won more and 3 of the teams moved from their original location and the 4th is the cardinals who actually came from a different league

The other teams that have won 5 w.s. titles all came from either a different league[Pirates and Reds from the american association] or the Giants who also moved from their original hometown

So that means out of all the teams that havent switched leagues or hometowns only the Red Sox have won 5 w.s. the most of any of those teams.Its obvious they were waiting for the other teams to catch up and it looks like theyve finally got tired of waiting.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

The "Curse of the Bambino" lives until the Red Sox become World Champions. Period. (This is one Ruth pinnacle that can't be trampled beneath baseball cleats by 162-game seasons, additional playoff games, steroid use or a monumental playoff choke.)

One the other hand, it looks like the Yankees may now have a curse of their own to live with...."The Curse of Arod". Seemingly a fitting reverse curse put on the Yankees by the Red Sox for stealing Arod (with the help of some legalese bs).

And don't forget collectors....don't step on the white line on your way to the dugout...or you may get there and find Mom has disposed of your shoebox of cards to make room for her knick-knack goodie basket.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

curse of Waite Hoyt,remember.....that is if you believe in curses

the baton from the waite hoyt curse was passed on when the Yankees got Red Ruffing from the Red Sox so technically you could refer to it as the Hoyt-Ruffing curse but dont give Ruth any false credit here,he gets enough as it is

Old 10-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: bcornell

Old 10-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

That might be the greatest picture ever Bill....i promise to stop talking bad about you now,youve earned that

Old 10-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

.....to allow fielders to throw the ball and hit a runner who's off base for an out.

To which the commissioner's office replied, "Any on-field action deemed "girlie" will result in an immediate out and the offending party shall never be allowed into the Hall of Fame."

To which Pete Rose responded. "What about me??? It takes a MAN to have a bookie."

To which Don Zimmer replied, "What about the "girlie" push that Pedro gave me?"

To which Yogi replied, "Men will be boys and boys will be men but men will never be men and boys will always be boys".

Resulting in the Babe issuing the following statement about his curse: "Yankees...that series was for letting me go in 1935 after 22 HRs in 1934....As for the Red Sox, you haven't seen anything yet."

Old 10-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Mike

Speaking of Don Zimmer, for some reason every time I see that replay he reminds me of the Michelin Man, rolling like that without any limbs moving.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: dstudeba

About the comment about the Sox having nothing against the Cardinals : Two of our greatest players, Williams and Yaz, were denied rings due to the Cardinals. It may have been a long time ago, but Red Sox fans remember. I talked to a neighbor of mine Thursday morning who still got agitated about, and vividly rembered going to the series in Fenway in 1967.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: Pat

"No way the Sox beat the Cardinals. St. Louis has a true murderer's row and it overcomes its mediocre pitching. The Sox CAN beat Minnesota and New York, but not St. Louis. If by some fluke the Braves or Astros make it to the series, though, it will be a different story. The Redbirds have a stacked hand along with the most underrated manager in baseball, Tony LaRusso."

"St. Louis has a true murderer's row" Yep, they did get murdered, four-in-a-row! Once again, Good Pitching Stops Good Hitting.

"Mediocre pitching"? It was mediocre at best.

"Sox cannot beat St. Louis." No they just pummeled them FOUR Straight.

"...most underrated manager in baseball". 8 consecutive WS losses, that's two sweeps in a row.

I never stopped believing.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

I have to say this about the Sox: when they finally have had enuff, they certainly shut the door with authority! First the Tea Party & now the Curse.

That makes eight consecutive Sox games which I predicted incorrectly. I may not be bright, but I sure am thick. Even my wife got last nights game right.

Gilbert

Old 10-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

--well, almost...picked the Cardinals to win at least ONE game. OH CHORTLE!

Old 11-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Old 11-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

I'm planning on getting a Red Sox hat myself. Some would call me gutless for not wearing one my whole life, and they'd be somewhat justified, but all I could think of whenever I would see someone wearing one prior to this Series is pity. Literally the hat would symbolize sorrow and futility for me, but now I can finally wear it with pride. I know it's kind of lame I wouldn't wear one before, but I knew how I reacted when I saw someone else wearing it, and I didn't need anyone to feel sorry for me - call it jumping on the bandwagon, but at least I was a fan - a disillusioned and disgrunteled one, but no more!

Old 11-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Unlike perhaps Yankees fans (or more specifically the Yankees themselves) who just EXPECT to win the Series every year like it's some kind of God-given right, I'll be happy for a long time just knowing they won one - I'd be fine if some other team came along and won next year (the Cubs anyone?) knowing the curse has finally been broken. If the Red Sox win more in the next few years, that's great, but winning one will keep me smilin' for a LONG time...

Old 11-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

There's been more than one blonde who rejeuvenated an otherwise faltering conversation by stating that she was a Bosox fan. Now they will have to find another ploy. But blonds and ploys are limitless, I guess.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

I am far from blond! I was afraid my post would get zapped; just wanted to show off my latest acquisition, which is hardly vintage...

Old 11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Sheesh Julie, I certainly was not referring to you in my comment. As I recollect our conversations have never faltered. Actually, the opposite is true.

Gil

Old 11-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default ! (Red Sox)

Posted By: hankron

I just assumed Gil was talking about me (The fact that I'm a male brunette Mariners fan being minor details).

My dad was born with dark brown hair now white. I asked him, "Now that you're a blonde, do you have more fun?" "Most definitely," he said.