NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default Outrageous prices on ebay

Guys, sorry if you are friends with some of the sellers I'm about to mention, but I have noticed that Dean's Cards, 707, and Yepbg have some great cards, but their prices are unreal. I don't understand how they make any sales (and they must, because they are big dogs). I get that they have the market cornered on some cards, but I don't get it. I'm going off comparables when I say this. I'm not comparing apples to oranges either, I mean same grade and/or similar appearance. For example, Ruth strip cards that sell for $600-800 when a reasonable person sells them, are at 1600 obo by Yepbg. And his obo is always close to his buy it now because I've made offers to him in the past. Deans asks $1,000 over the actual value of every big card they have. How do these guys make a living and why would anyone pay those prices?
Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

This has been discussed numerous times. Do a search for "Deans cards" and you'll find some good/interesting reading material...

Last edited by D.P.Johnson; 02-18-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Guys, sorry if you are friends with some of the sellers I'm about to mention, but I have noticed that Dean's Cards, 707, and Yepbg have some great cards, but their prices are unreal. I don't understand how they make any sales (and they must, because they are big dogs). I get that they have the market cornered on some cards, but I don't get it. I'm going off comparables when I say this. I'm not comparing apples to oranges either, I mean same grade and/or similar appearance. For example, Ruth strip cards that sell for $600-800 when a reasonable person sells them, are at 1600 obo by Yepbg. And his obo is always close to his buy it now because I've made offers to him in the past. Deans asks $1,000 over the actual value of every big card they have. How do these guys make a living and why would anyone pay those prices?
Please put your full name in your post per the rules. Thanks

Last edited by Leon; 02-17-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:43 PM
Greg Mitchell

Mucho Denero.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Please put your full name in your post per the rules. Thanks
Sorry Leon. Orlando Rodriguez
Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 PM

"Outrageous prices on ebay"

I feel your pain, but your title is redundant.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:07 PM
je.sse @rnot

I wonder if dean's or 707s prices for high end cards encourage buyers to make offers offline or through their personal websites. Perhaps this is where sales take place at reasonable prices. This is just a theory as I have never purchased from either.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Ne@l K

I am recently getting back into the hobby, after taking a break for a few years. The asking prices on eBay, for the stuff I collect, are higher than I have ever seen. I still long for the days of true auctions, not BINs or store prices.

Joe Yanello's auction is always a welcome sight, as is Sterling .... Hunts too.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I wonder if dean's or 707s prices for high end cards encourage buyers to make offers offline or through their personal websites. Perhaps this is where sales take place at reasonable prices. This is just a theory as I have never purchased from either.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
You obviously have not been to their personal websites
Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Not these sellers, but there are sellers with high BINs who telegraph their willingness to sell for less directly by including their phone numbers in the listing or by including it in a reply message.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Mucho Denero.
I'm not sure if it was intended, but I find your spelling of dinero highly appropriate to the conversation.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I'm not sure if it was intended, but I find your spelling of dinero highly appropriate to the conversation.
hysterical!

got it immediately.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

My favorite is this dude. This particular card is more than 3x the next highest card in the same grade.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1934-Goudey-6-...747?nav=SEARCH

Sam Swartz
Old 02-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I buy a TON on eBay (and make a ton more side deals off-eBay), but I've never bought off 707, Yepbg, or Deans. All you guys buy what I buy. Have you bought off them? Someone has to be...
Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
You obviously have not been to their personal websites
I actually went to Dean's website when I was working on the 52 Topps set. Needless to say I did not end up making a purchase, or even making an offer. Seems like a pretty big operation though so obviously people are buying, even if they're not Net54 members.

I made 707 a couple of offers on Ebay but we weren't able to reach an agreement.

I honestly don't know how they both do so well. I must be missing something.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 PM
James Head

I sold a few items to one of the previously mentioned at a Sun Times Chicago show close to 10 years ago. Some low grade pre-war, 1914 cracker jack, a Mathewson. The majority of those cards are still listed on their website. It was great because I would just buy those cards from another table (at their full price) then flip them to the "big dogs". More power to them as they seem to make it work .
Old 02-17-2016, 10:09 PM

I am obviously in the minority, but I have bought several times from Dean's Cards and have been happy with every purchase. I agree that their prices are outrageous for higher grade cards and it makes no sense to buy from them when you can get the same card cheaper elsewhere. But for one of the main things I collect, uncatalogued variation and printing error cards, they are a treasure trove if you take the time to hunt for them. They have high quality scans of the fronts and backs of cards, never have the card out of stock or send the wrong card, and ship immediately.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 PM
Ken McMillan

First off, you do not buy from Deans Cards off of ebay. He has a website and the cards are discounted by a percentage depending on how much money you spend. The percentage can range from 5 to 20% and shipping is free if you get over a certain dollar amount. As to the others, the price is always negotiable. There are ways around the asking prices and nobody is forced to buy.

Kmac
Old 02-17-2016, 10:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I make fun of BIN and dealer prices as much as the next guy but think about it..

Dealers are usually going to ask prices for more than cards sell on ebay with PWCC..otherwise they would just consign the cards themselves..

they are offering a convenience...you dont have to wait around for an auction and also risk being outbid the last second or at 3 am...people will pay decent $ above 'market' for either of those conveniences..

when you think about the hours of time many spend scouring ebay and all those auctions sites day by day by day...maybe yeah you just saved $300 on a card...and you spent about 100 hours to do it....some people value time over money...who knows..
Old 02-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

i recently made a purchase from 707 and have purchased from him previously, albeit very rarely for the reasons mentioned above.

the card i purchased was indeed very nicely centered and should have carried the small premium, HOWEVER....

he said he did not want to use paypal gift and that paypal was looking into these "gifts" and that it was frowned up and he just didn't want anything to do w/ it. instead he wanted me to mail him a check or go to the post office and mail him a money order!?!?.

the deal almost fell apart over $10 because he didn't want pp gift, yet didn't want the fees to come out of his end either.

it was very, very odd.

has anyone heard anything about paypal frowning about using the "gift" for making purchases vs just sending friends and family money?

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-17-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:28 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
has anyone heard anything about paypal frowning about using the "gift" for making purchases vs just sending friends and family money?
I had a seller tell me this once. Although he said it was fine to just use goods and he covered the fee. It certainly makes sense. Especially if your paypal account is set up with a business name.

Risking a $300 sale and losing a customer over a $10 paypal fee doesn't make as much sense to me.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Back in the fall of 2014, I purchased a 100 card lot of 1960 Topps in VGEX for $60-65 from Dean's. Mostly commons with some minor stars. I thought that was a reasonably good deal.

I've bought mid to lower grade raw singles from time to time from 707 and believe it or not they were lowest price or close to it. At that end of the grading spectrum, 707 has some reasonably priced cards.

Both were good experiences so I would buy from them again. Obviously, If the prices are reasonable.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
I had a seller tell me this once. Although he said it was fine to just use goods and he covered the fee. It certainly makes sense. Especially if your paypal account is set up with a business name.

Risking a $300 sale and losing a customer over a $10 paypal fee doesn't make as much sense to me.

anyone else?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Al Richter

Default Levi, Deans and Yep

I buy occasionally from Dean's for the reasons mentioned by Cliff. Good front and back scans if you are looking for off beat cards.

I buy from Levi because I like his hat. He does take checks and if you are a customer he sends cards, even high dollar items, for approval before payment . And he is honest.

Yep is high and does not seem very flexible, but he does have some unique stuff.

Some people have cards that they do not want to sell unless they get their price. This can be annoying to people who want to buy those cards at prices they would prefer to pay.

Do not know about Yep, but Dean and Levi seem to be doing ok
Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Bob Donaldson

I've made offers to 707 on some lower end cards, he usually rejects my offer and counters a few dollars off his initial asking price. Never made a deal. I see him at shows, great cards: Ruths, Gehrigs, Cobbs etc. All seem to be well over priced. I assume people buy from him for convenience, paying extra for a card because they don't have the time to search. Not sure how he's able to make a profit. I have heard the owner of 707, Levi I beleive is his name, is a grreat guy and very knowledgeable.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Some people put their house on the market not because they are dying to move but because they will move if a dream offer comes in. Sure it's no different with many eBay sellers.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I buy from Levi because I like his hat. He does take checks and if you are a customer he sends cards, even high dollar items, for approval before payment . And he is honest.
+1

(especially on the hat and honesty factor)
Old 02-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Some people put their house on the market not because they are dying to move but because they will move if a dream offer comes in. Sure it's no different with many eBay sellers.
That is a great point, and probably true for a lot of collectors on eBay. But it is stunning when it is an actual business.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
That is a great point, and probably true for a lot of collectors on eBay. But it is stunning when it is an actual business.
Why? If their model generates as much cash flow as they are looking for, then it's working for them.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Here is a silly thought

Some dealers don't need the money, they are just hiding from their wife!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Here is a silly thought

Some dealers don't need the money, they are just hiding from their wife!
This!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why? If their model generates as much cash flow as they are looking for, then it's working for them.
in addition, when they are firm on prices they dont have to worry about all the haggling and the time involved for the back and forth that result to many non deals....
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I have often wondered how much better Levi would do if he showcased SGC and BVG graded cards rather than his apparently exclusive tie-up with PSA, although he certainly offers a ton of nice vintage cards at shows and on his web site. I think part of his success is the spread he achieves between the bid and asked prices I have never had much luck selling him any cards since his buy prices were quite low. His silent partner Jim in 707, I suspect, does most of the buying and Levi then prices the cards for sale. This, please guys, is only my conjecture as to how they operate. And I have to assume that PSA treats his card submissions the same as anybody else's. John Spencer
P.S. One related activity Levi provides is the reasonable rental of show cases to dealers, to which I availed myself several times over many years at the old Ft. Washington, PA show until I bit the bullet and bought my own.
P.P.S. Somebody once told me that before Levi got in the card business he was a champion drag racer in NJ. What a guy!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:35 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

For 707 at least, I would also add to take a look at their registry sets and see what they have that is not listed for sale on ebay or their website. It quickly becomes obvious that if he needed cash, he would be able access it. Furthermore, look at the volume/amount of their sold items on ebay. They aren't doing too bad. So if you are not constrained by constant cash flow concerns, why go through the challenges of fighting over obtaining inventory? It always seemed to me that 707 priced his cards at what he feels something is worth rather than what other people say it is worth.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers

Last edited by x2drich2000; 02-18-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Al Richter

Default 707

Wonder if Jim thinks of himself as the Silent Partner
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Wonder if Jim thinks of himself as the Silent Partner
Yes, simply because he doesnt dress as loud as Levi

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-19-2016, 12:14 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Latest round of Venezuelans posted by our faves, Dean's cards and Yepbg. As per usual, disgustingly overpriced.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...zuela&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...uelan&_sacat=0
Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Latest round of Venezuelans posted by our faves, Dean's cards and Yepbg. As per usual, disgustingly overpriced.

Venezuelans you never know on price because there are so few....i wouldnt call them out on those card....there is huge price disparity on same card sales....a PSA 1 Mantle that he has listed in 1964 for $1200 could sell for $500 but could also sell for $1000 ...who knows....when the POP is so small dealers are looking for that niche buyer..

anyway most of their cards yes very overpriced...but venezuelans, especially HOF's like Mantle you can see the same listed card with two dealers with a 400% difference in price which doesnt really occur in the non-venezuelan market...
Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Venezuelans you never know on price because there are so few....i wouldnt call them out on those card....there is huge price disparity on same card sales....a PSA 1 Mantle that he has listed in 1964 for $1200 could sell for $500 but could also sell for $1000 ...who knows....when the POP is so small dealers are looking for that niche buyer..

anyway most of their cards yes very overpriced...but venezuelans, especially HOF's like Mantle you can see the same listed card with two dealers with a 400% difference in price which doesnt really occur in the non-venezuelan market...
I don't find it coincidental that when it comes to the two dealers with a 400% difference in the price, Dean and yep are consistently the higher priced dealer of the two.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I don't find it coincidental that when it comes to the two dealers with a 400% difference in the price, Dean and yep are consistently the higher priced dealer of the two.
i agree but for venezeulans they have brothers in arms....
Old 02-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not these sellers, but there are sellers with high BINs who telegraph their willingness to sell for less directly by including their phone numbers in the listing or by including it in a reply message.
Beechwood 4-5789.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Beechwood 4-5789.
Pennsylvania 6-5000
Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i agree but for venezeulans they have brothers in arms....
Are they as big as those two? I wonder if regular folks who happen to just have some VZs for sale look at Dean's and Yep's prices and list theirs according to what those two list theirs for.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Are they as big as those two? I wonder if regular folks who happen to just have some VZs for sale look at Dean's and Yep's prices and list theirs according to what those two list theirs for.
good point..it always funny to see pawn store shows when the ask the guy trying to sell the item where he got his price from he normally says 'thats what i see them for sale for'.....pawn guy always says 'they can ask for anything but that doesnt say what they sell for/what they worth'
Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Exactly. More power to them if they want to sit on piles of inventory. I imagine they've probably done some sort of cost analysis that shows pricing their cards high and selling a few is more profitable than pricing their cards low and selling a lot. Or maybe I'm giving them way too much credit and they just like to price their stuff high. I have no way of knowing how much business they do, but I have to imagine they'd make more money pricing their cards more competitively, but I don't do what they do on a day to day basis, so that's pure conjecture.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:

With the Venezuelan economy in shambles and the devaluation of the Bolivar, they're probably priced appropriately.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Exactly. More power to them if they want to sit on piles of inventory. I imagine they've probably done some sort of cost analysis that shows pricing their cards high and selling a few is more profitable than pricing their cards low and selling a lot. Or maybe I'm giving them way too much credit and they just like to price their stuff high. I have no way of knowing how much business they do, but I have to imagine they'd make more money pricing their cards more competitively, but I don't do what they do on a day to day basis, so that's pure conjecture.
can always check the sold listings on ebay with them and see what they sell.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Al Richter

Default Selling

Do not know about Yep but but when I buy from Deans or Levi I do it direct, not through eBay.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Do not know about Yep but but when I buy from Deans or Levi I do it direct, not through eBay.
several sellers refuse to do deals directly, only through ebay..but they dont charge as much as those guys