NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Mark Peavey

Default T206 fade from red to orange revisited

I was almost convinced that T206 Cobb portraits with orange backgrounds had simply faded from red to orange over time. However, the Cobb below, where a color shift has revealed a layer of orange underneath the red, has changed my mind. It seems entirely possible, if not probable, that some left the factory with orange backgrounds from day one. They never had any red on them in the first place. Any thoughts on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.4 KB, 295 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Like all the other red background portraits, it shows up in orange sometimes. Most of the portraits with other background colors also have variations like this. As discussed before, nothing to do with fading.

Interesting and collectible, but doesn't demand much of a premium.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I believe it's from glue/adhesive that had chemicals seep through
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
If that was true it would also remove the red from the card back and that I have never seen.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
No, it's a print anomaly involving color passes. Nothing weird or outside of the t206 printing process other than the colors and passes involved. This is well-trod territory.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Glue will definitely turn the red to orange on an E92, but I don't know about T206.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
No, it's a print anomaly involving color passes. Nothing weird or outside of the t206 printing process other than the colors and passes involved. This is well-trod territory.
+1
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't know how just red ink would fade to orange anyway. It would fade to pale red.

Last edited by drcy; 06-30-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Glue will definitely turn the red to orange on an E92, but I don't know about T206.
That is weird that glue would add yellow to red ink. I don't collect that set could you post a picture of one that this has happened to.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is weird that glue would add yellow to red ink. I don't collect that set could you post a picture of one that this has happened to.
The glue doesn't add yellow ink. There must have been some kind of chemical in the glue that made the red fade over time. I'll have to look to see if I have any scans of my E92s with faded red. I did at one time, but I sold my E92s a while back.

As far as glue making the red fade to yellow/orange on a T206, well I think these scans just proved some people wrong...

(I'm not saying that's what happened to the Cobb - I think it's just an oddity)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (65.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (70.0 KB, 153 views)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:50 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

And for reference, this is what Charles should look like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LY23U_1003_med.jpg (9.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM
D@vi d B@zi ni

Has anybody experienced much fading with T206 cards? Obviously, Old Judge cards fade like crazy and modern Topps cards also fade readily... however, the lithograph T206 cards are different and I don't recall seeing many faded examples.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The glue doesn't add yellow ink. There must have been some kind of chemical in the glue that made the red fade over time. I'll have to look to see if I have any scans of my E92s with faded red. I did at one time, but I sold my E92s a while back.

As far as glue making the red fade to yellow/orange on a T206, well I think these scans just proved some people wrong...

(I'm not saying that's what happened to the Cobb - I think it's just an oddity)
Thanks for the picture David. It(glue) don't add yellow ink but it has to be adding a yellow pigment because it is imposible to turn red to orange without adding yellow of some form.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by baztacula View Post
Has anybody experienced much fading with T206 cards? Obviously, Old Judge cards fade like crazy and modern Topps cards also fade readily... however, the lithograph T206 cards are different and I don't recall seeing many faded examples.
Yes they do fade but it takes a long long time. For me it is most noticeable in the players name and black border first.

I tried it once but was using someone elses cards so even though they said it was ok if I ruined then I was pretty carefull not to hurt the cards too bad.

I did recently buy a lot of beaters to play with and plan on reporting my findings on here(Net54).
Old 07-01-2015, 10:04 AM
D@vi d B@zi ni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes they do fade but it takes a long long time. For me it is most noticeable in the players name and black border first.

I tried it once but was using someone elses cards so even though they said it was ok if I ruined then I was pretty carefull not to hurt the cards too bad.

I did recently buy a lot of beaters to play with and plan on reporting my findings on here(Net54).
Hopefully the fading is slow enough that I'll be dead before it's noticeable. I have the whole T206 Tigers team mounted on a wall in my house but they aren't in direct light and the blinds and curtains are as closed as can be. It's been around four years and my Cobbs haven't lost any vibrancy that I can see.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Fading and/or chemicals can affect cards colors an infinite number of ways it seems.