NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Default The order of topps cards?

Hey All,

The title says it all. Has it ever been explicated just HOW Topps decided the order of its cards? I mean, apart from the fact that Ted Williams contractually stipulated his card be first in a number of sets, the rest just seem random.

I read one suggestion that the cards were in the order in which the players signed their contract, but that doesn't really hold water given Topps clearly strategically placed star cards throughout the series to keep the kids buying.

I mean, like why would they kick off with Andy Pafko in '52, as opposed to someone with more cache as they did with Jackie Robinson or Ted Williams later on?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Numbering system as explained on wiki.

"Topps generally put the biggest stars on card numbers ending in x00 or x50. For example in the 1966 set, Mickey Mantle is card #50 and Sandy Koufax is card #100. In 1965, Willie Mays is card #250. Other star players were put on card numbers ending in zero (10, 20, 140, 270 , etc.) and minor stars were put on cards ending in "5". Topps continues this numbering system (at least to a degree) today."

Aside from that, th number 7 is permanently set aside for Mantle. Not sure if there's an exact system for first cards, but it's usually a star or commemorative..

As far as the in between numbers, I haven't the slightest clue how they're chosen.

Last edited by novakjr; 04-15-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps Order

Have seen SCD articles that are consistent with David's explanation and my own experience with Topps sets.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM

I have to agree also with David. Take a look at a checklist. The ending number "0" and "5" are almost always a star for it's year. Anything ending in a muliple of is a guy like Koufax, Seaver, Mantle, Clemente, Rose, etc. After that I think Topps would not want consecutive cards of players from the same team. They would not 156 and 157 be players from the same team.I doubt I can recall consecutive numbers of players of the same team.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Jim

> I doubt I can recall consecutive numbers of players of the same team.

Most true - however there are several instances in the older set where players on the same team were assigned consecutive numbers - the 53 and 54 sets come to mind - for example from '54 #115, #116, and #117 are all Cardinals, or, from '53 #18 and #19 are bot h Red Sox and #25 and 26 are both Indians.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 PM

It was great in 81 when Fleer put the cards out numerically by team, by best record.

I have no idea why Topps never did that, as I always sorted my cards by team when I was a kid and it without marking up checklists which was boring, you never knew if you had all the cards of each team.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
CraigH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneyj View Post
> I doubt I can recall consecutive numbers of players of the same team.

Most true - however there are several instances in the older set where players on the same team were assigned consecutive numbers - the 53 and 54 sets come to mind - for example from '54 #115, #116, and #117 are all Cardinals, or, from '53 #18 and #19 are bot h Red Sox and #25 and 26 are both Indians.
I believe there's a couple of 3-card runs of Dodgers players in the high-number series of 1952 as well as consecutive numbers of Pirates and Reds in that series. There are quite a few Dodgers just in that particular series.

Craig H
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I don't think Topps had much of a numbering plan until near the end of the 50's, although there was some sporadic usage of the "00" 10's and 5's strategy before then. The first couple of years (51 and 52) cards may have been numbered in the order the player or image was cleared for printing by Topps but I have never seen anything to substantiate that, just a hunch on my part.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-18-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Al Richter

Default A Hunch

I would go with Dave's hunches over the knowledge of many...including me
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I always thought it would be cool if a company numbered their sets either, a) alphabetically, b) chronologically by age with oldest player first, c) chronologically by ML service with longest service first.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Al Richter

Default Order

...or by Fantasy ranking
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
J@RR0D

Obviously not in '52, per #311 & 312. But very interesting, thanks for that info.