NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default O/T what happened to the NBA? Bad Marketing?

Posted By: rand

i hope this brings a bit of insight, but what happened to the NBA? Is it me, or has the Association dropped out of sight? Is it a lack of proper marketing, stars, David Stern, or thuggery? The days of Bird & Magic, Jordan vs the World, its fallen so far down, i don't even pay any attention till the conference finals (depending on the teams).

Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The league is just boring. It's hard to keep track of the players- I may be watching a game and I realize I've never heard of half these guys- and there are no compelling teams or compelling stories to hold fans' interest. The league is long past its hey dey.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I'm viewing through LeBron colored glasses, but I haven't been this entertained watching early season games since the Mark Price Cavs of the 80s.

In general, I think the league has become much more focused on defense and that makes for less exciting basketball. In the mid-1980s, team used to average 110 points a game; I bet the average now is in the low 90s.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

If you ever get tired of watching that show called "LA Ink" you can always tune into an NBA game and see the cool skin art there.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I gave up season tickets to the Nets this year, after holding them for four years. In my case I got tired of watching all the off-the-court BS, while the team sheds its big contracts in anticipation of its move to Brooklyn. Essentially they're playing out the string in Jersey, fielding a mildly competitive team that will mature and become exciting just in time for their planned exodus.

Not on my dime.

-Al

Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

primarily the tatts.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

For me, the NBA (as well as professional football) has always bored me because of the endless "hotdogging". I'll watch an NBA game and the most routine shot (not even under pressure) warrants backpedaling, hi-fiving, chest thumping, ass grabbing, etc. Every 3 yard gain on the gridiron or layup on the courts becomes the end of the world.

At least in baseball (with a few exceptions), the play on the field is classier. A homerun might warrant the occasional fist pump, but I'd rather see it and the handshake at third base followed by some dugout celebration than this taking place on the field.

Parenthetically,

Shawn

Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wil Jordan

What is going on in the NBA is a combination of things Stern and Bad Marketing certainly are two of the reasons attendance is falling. However, I think that fans are just tired the Hip Hop crap and the me me generation. It was like this before Bird, Magic, and MJ and I am affraid I don't see anyone like these guys coming into the NBA anytime soon. Thus you are going to continue to see a downward sprial of the NBA. This is why Stern is working so hard to market the NBA in China and other places overseas. The economy certainly plays a part but were you have good teams and team players you still see sell outs. Think about it would you pay top dollar to see these chest pounding, trash talking, tatooed, spoiled rich loud mouths jump up and down every 24 seconds?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Doing quite well I must say. Cheerio.

[linked image]

Sorry bout that rand happy.gif

Too many thugs ang punks. Although Celtic Pride has suddenly resurfaced around here (shocking, I know). This team is refreshingly "relatively" humble and happily, without a superstar persay. But I'll always miss Johnny Most calling for the Green in the '80s.

[linked image]

Old 11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Here's another thing that bugs the HELL out of me, and I realize it's part of the nature of the beast these days, but that doesn't make it any less irritating.

My season tickets cost me a few thousand dollars. For that kind of money, I expect to go see a basketball game, maybe a little entertainment during time outs and halftimes, maybe bring a client to the club for a drink at halftime.

I do NOT expect to see commercials everywhere I look. I can understand stadium naming rights, and I can understand various signage around the arena. I do NOT want two LED boards running around the perimeter of the stadium bowl, showing moving ads DURING the game. I do not want a jumbotron showing commercials during every stop in play - and sometimes during play itself. I do not want to hear the team introduced as "Nets Basketball presented by Jackson Hewitt Tax Service," nor do I want to hear every single thing sponsored by somebody.

At the Izod Arena (heh), the VISITING TEAM'S LOCKER ROOM has a sponsor (really). I can't have a drink at the Winner's Club, I need to have a drink at the Dewars' Whiskey Winner's Club. The Courtside Club is the Nissan Courtside Club. The non-alcoholic section is the Aeropostale Family Zone, or something like that. It seems like every square inch of space has a sponsor.

If I stay home and watch the game on TV for the price of my satellite service, I can expect to see two minutes of commercials during timeouts, and a few more during halftime. If I pay a few thousand for season tickets, I'm bombarded with ads during the entire game. It's ridiculous, it's distracting, and it totally disrupts my enjoyment of the game.

Part of what's great about basketball is the rhythm and the flow of the game. There's constant motion on every section of the court. Even the play-by-play has a rhythm to it. It's a beautiful thing to watch. To me, the barrage of ads totally interferes with that rhythm.

And that's coming from a marketing guy.

-Al

Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Sounds like integration ruined the NBA for most fans on the board. Tattoos? Tattoos are why you don't like the NBA? Come on! I think you mean tattoos combined with corn rows, don't you? Pretty sure some of the people saying tattoos and thugs are ruining the NBA are the same ones who sang the praises of Josh Hamilton's Home Run Derby performance and wore fake Jason Giambi moustaches at Yankee Stadium. Or won't you watch those guys because they have tattoos?

The NBA is alive and well here in Colorado, in spite of the tattoos.

GO NUGGETS!

-Ryan

Old 11-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Johnny Most was a legend, and he delivered perhaps the NBA's most quotable line:

Havlicek stole the ball!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Another classic, 20+ years later: "Steal by Bird. Underneath to DJ..."

-Ryan

Old 11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Ryan- wasn't that Isaiah Thomas's bad pass?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

because of the tatts.

true story.
don't care for Hamilton or Giambi either

Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Barry,

That's the one. One of the best plays in sports history, in my opinion. That game was over. Everyone knew it except Bird. But the steal wasn't enough. Dennis Johnson still had to break to the hoop and hit a difficult contested layup. Best part was that it happened to Isiah. One of the worst people in the sports world.

Nice pass, Zeke!

-Ryan

Old 11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

i think the downslide (my opinion) was after Jordan, Shaq & Kobe were to take the torch. Shaq was always hurt (allegedly) at the start of the season and never did sh#! till the playoffs, just no sense of urgency. so much money is going to some of these guys with Guaranteed Contracts (nice job nbapa) they have no real need to kill themselves. no real rivalries exist at this time either. by the way, they dont drug test for pot either.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Love college basketball, hate the NBA.

I think it might have something to do with the playoffs that last approximately 4-1/2 years.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Jason,

Now you've got me curious about your strong stance against tattoos. Why are you so against them? You can e-mail me privately if you would prefer not to post your reasons on the board, but I am honestly curious.

-Ryan

Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Rand,

That's not true, the NBA does test for marijuana. Why we should care if any professional athlete smokes weed is beyond me, but the NBA does test for it. The lack of rivalries you mentioned is probably one of the bigger causes of any slump the NBA is currently experiencing. Then again, NBA fans got spoiled in the 1980s. There will never be another Bird/Magic or Lakers/Celtics rivalry. Some combination of the current Celtics, Cavs, or Pistons could be decent. A Knicks/Celtics rivalry with Lebron on the Knicks starting in 2010 would be compelling, as well.

James,

You're right about the NBA playoffs. Same with the NHL. Not sure how they could or should be shortened, though. I agree that they're too long. Regular season college basketball is way more boring to me, but March Madness is the greatest thing that any sports fan could ever dream up. God's gift to sports fans! Nothing compares.

-Ryan

Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

arguments like the nba has too many thugs, is hip hop culture oriented, players wear too many tattoos, and the like are pretty superficial reasons why the nba has gone down the tube. football is highly popular in the states...and the nfl have plenty of thugs, criminals and tattooed freaks. ray caruth, pacman jones, travis henry, the entire Cincinnati bengals roster...

i think the nba has gone down in popularity due to several reasons. game play has changed quite dramatically since the early 90's...changed in negative ways. it's more half court, defense oriented...and one on one offense oriented...game styles that are hard to watch.

another thing is bad marketing and the lack of superstar players to center the game on. after jordan retired, there was (and still is) a large void to fill. No one was going to be the next jordan...but, there had to be someone who was close to him in terms of popularity and appeal. Kobe should have been the guy...but his rape trial and the shaq factor derailed any notion of him being a wildly popular player amongst most fans. Shaq could have been the guy...but, even with the movies, commercials, the recording albums and 4 world championship rings, he never quite reached the level of connection with fans bird, magic and jordan had. and tim duncan had the stats, nice guy appeal and the championships...but, not the charisma.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the racial mixture of the league has also made fans feel more alienated to the game. In the states, the consumer base is primarily white. The NBA is predominantly black. Even some of the more successful and prominent non black guys in the league are of other countries (steve nash and canada, dirk and germany, ginobili and argentina). People like what they are familiar with. They are more accustomed to viewing things that look like them. ask a white guy who his favorite players are...and he'll likely name mainly white guys. ask a black guy who his favorite players are...and he'll likely name mainly black guys. and so on with latinos, asian, etc. Since bird, there has been no american born white player that has been anything close to being labeled a superstar. And basketball, race is even more so visceral than in baseball, hockey and football. First, there are only 10 guys on the court. Second, all the guys are wearing jerseys and shorts. You can see their faces...most of their bodies, compared to players in the other sports, can be viewed. Baseball has long pants, hats, gloves, batting helmets...football has long pants, pads, helmets.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I don't think the reason for the NBA's downturn is due to the huge white fan base/predominant black rosters. I think the main reason is simply the lack of team basketball; the game has primarily become a game of 1 on 1. There is seemingly no strategy involved anymore -- just one guy gets the ball on offense, the rest of the team clears out and a 1 on 1 battle occurs. It's just a boring game these days.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

The game has changed. Larry Bird is not walking through the door. If he did, I would watch the NBA. He is the best all around player to play the game.

LarryLegend

Old 11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

To me anyway, it's the "thuggery", and also just the comparative lack of skills among the players. Back in the NBA's "heyday", Magic, MJ, Bird, Dr J, etc., could actually make a jump shot; heck, Magic could even shoot the hook! Now, it's just one long dunking contest, and no one can consistently shoot the jumper. Too many players are just trying to outdo each other, in an attempt to get on Sportscenter's Top 10 Highlights. Shooting percentages are in the toilet; I mean, what happened to teams scoring 100 points in a game?

Two other aspects for me are the constant fouls, and timeouts in the final two minutes of every game. Why do the final two minutes of every game have to always take 10-15 minutes (at the minimum)?

Steve

Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

I can't stand the NBA. I do however, love college basketball. Louisville, KY has tried a few times to get an NBA franchise and has come very close twice, with both times being denied due to no basketball arena. Now, the city is building a downtown arena in hopes to land a NBA team. I hope that day never comes...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I don't know what happened, I just don't know but something happened. I was as avid a fan as there was back in the 70s through the 90s. MY team was the Sixers. Dr J was my favorite player. I suffered through the '77 collapse and 2 series defeats to the Lakers in the early 80s and then Moses came to town. He took the Sixers to the promise land in the most dominating post season I Have ever seen. I watched as much NBA as I could and when I wasn't watching I was in the back yard shooting hoops and practicing my behind the back board Dr J. Layout. Because of my love for the Sixers, I couldnt' stand Larry Bird or Magic Johnson when they were playing but I sure do miss them now! I continued to follow the NBA after the Doctor retired and became a Huge Jordan fan. I watched Jordan/Pippen dominate the game for close to a decade. I used to keep a box score of the Bulls each game that was televised and then Jordan retired and I there was no one left for to cheer for. I don't know what happened but once Jordan left (2nd time) there was no player left that demanded I pay attention that demanded I folllow them. I have tried to follow a team and was hoping that LeBron could bring me back but it hasn't happened yet. I watch about a half a quarter and then turn the channel. I have to tell you have not watched an entire NBA game in 10 to 15 years..

So I don't know what happended, but something did. Basketball is the greatest sport to play. YOu can go in your backyard and play an entire game all by yourself or you can play one on one. It's a GREAT GAME but the NBA as a league is missing something and I Don't what it is specifically but if I had to guess, I think its missing a player that demand I pay attention to them the way the Doctor and Jordan did.. I don't know, I wish I did know.

marty

Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Wow Marty, that was well said...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I cant imagine color having to do anything with it for someone who has started watching basketball in the last 20+ years. As long as I've watched there were always noticeably more black players but I think its more how the players act now as opposed to back then. When I started watching I never said Larry Bird has to be my favorite because were both white,I picked my favorite player based on who I liked watching the most which was Dominique Wilkins at first,Mitch Richmond and David Robinson for a time, then I started liking guys who played for my favorite college teams,Syracuse and Louisville,when I started watching more college ball.
I've lost interest in basketball recently but it mostly has to do with the lack of talent the players have and that may have more to do with sportscenter and everyone getting on for dunking and behind the back passes instead of actually playing the game to win and making a free throw when it counts,you play basketball for a living,how hard is it to practice free throws if you cant make them! There are too many players now out to just be famous and make sportscenters top plays.

Steve also hit the nail on the head with one of the most annoying things,the end of the game just drags on forever if the score is close. I actually like blowouts better because the game ends without fouls every 2 seconds and timeouts every time the team behind gets the ball or the team ahead cant get the ball inbounds.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

When I was a teenager my favorite player was Connie Hawkins...but watching Dr. J. in the ABA was one of the really great treats. I would often go to the Nassau Coliseum and see him play in person...even saw him play once when he was with the Virginia Squires.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

Barry,

I'm with you. I grew up in St. Louis watching The Spirits with Marvin Barnes, Maurice Lucas and Moses Malone. Seems like the only time they would draw over 2000 fans was when The Nets would bring Dr. J to town or the Nuggets would come in with David Thompson and Dan Issel. If I remember correctly and I may be wrong, I believe The Spirits once knocked The Nets out of the ABA playoffs when they had yet to ever beat them in a regular season game. It's been thirty years so that might be a little off. BTW the radio voice of The Spirits of St. Louis was Bob Costas. Great memories but yet I haven't watched an entire NBA game since the late 80's and have lived in Atlanta for 15 years and never been to a Hawks game.

Edit: spellin', twice

Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I am super jealous. I saw Dr J play for the NETs in the ABA and when he moved to the NBA/Sixers, that's when I became a Sixer fan. I also loved Bobby Jones, Mo Cheeks and Chocolate Thunder aka Daryl Dawkins, Caldwell Jones, Andrew Toney and of course the player who changed the course of Sixer history, Moses Malone!

I still remember an SI cover from the early 80s of Dr J Jamming the Jinx in Boston.. I think I had that cover taped to my wall. happy.gif

Marty

Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

They should just start out playing the last 10 minutes of the game. Does the first 50 really matter anyway? I loved watching Jordon play...since he left I really haven't watched much. As for the thinking about they are just a bunch of over paid big babies....well, that is my take on most pro sports now...Give me amateur and minor leagues and I will show you guys trying their hardest and having fun.....and not getting 50m to do it (though money isn't my biggest beef with pro sports...it's the whiney ass babies...)

Old 11-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

I once went to Hempstead High School to watch the Nets play the San Antonio Spurs (I think) in a pre-season game in a high school gym. Dr. J scored close to 50 points and Larry Kenon close to 30...it was fantastic, and I think I was the only white person in the whole gym.

Jeff- I remember the Spirits of St. Louis well- Bob Costas was their play-by-play-man. But I don't remember the time they knocked the Nets out of the play-offs.

The only championship game I ever saw in person was the game the Indiana Pacers clinched the 1972 ABA Championship in the Coliseum. It was pre-Dr. J. and the Nets star was Rick Barry. George McGinnis and Roger Brown were Indiana's star players.

Oops- you mentioned Costas, I missed it.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

Barry,

In '74-'75 they knocked the Nets out in round one but it was 4 games to 1. They had never beaten them in the regular season losing six straight.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

I agree with the statement that NBA has just become a one-on-one slam dunk contest. It started out as a extra "spark" here and there, then it became routine, and now boring as hell.

Growing up watching Princeton Basketball, I am a true lover of the team aspect of the game. People say PU basketball is boring. I say just the opposite. Watching with anticipation the next cut, the perfect pass, followed by a more perfect assist: That keeps me on the edge of my seat. Now a player starts at the foul line, and taking 2, 3, 4 steps (used to be called "traveling") and slams down a dunk, big deal.

(((Also find 5 plus home run games unimpressive. Give me a walk, stolen base, sac bunt and sac fly, and I'm entertained !!!!)))happy.gif

As far as the money, and advertising go, I can only quote a great man:

"The owners made money. The players made money. The only people that got hurt were the public, the fans, the integrity of baseball, and eventually the planet earth" -- Bill Lee

Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

One of our local journalists stated that one could go into a locker room after an NBA game and not be able to tell whether a given team won or lost. I live near Washington DC and the NBA is the topic of sports radio for maybe 5-10 minutes....per year. The regular season is meaningless, the playoffs are like chinese water torture and the finals a welcome relief....because the two week break between the end of the season and the beginning of next year is about to begin. As for the white populace/black player assertion. I have never seen such rabid NBA fans as bleach-white Utah. Those I've met from my church who've moved from Utah to the East Coast are a bit surprised that they seem to be the only ones who care about the Association. "You mean you don't have NBA draft parties here?" That is a direct quote.

James

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I used to get a 10 game package for the Knicks from 1991 until 2003. I went to 1 game last year and I was with my kids. Right outside of MSG I felt intimidated and I have been a Law Enforcement Officer for 24 years. I go to about 10-15 Rangers Hockey games and the element is totally different. The NBA better clean up its act soon. I will not go to Knicks Games anymore. It is not a racial thing just the element that hangs around MSG during Knick games. CN

Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

its ludacris the guaranteed money, to many years, to much money, no incentive.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Duly note that the NBA was lower in popularity before Magic and Bird. The 1981 championship finals weren't televised live! CBS showed the games tape delay.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pcelli60

Several things to mention here..
When the NBA began to allow kids to come in after only one or two years of college ball and select payers right out of high school- the league got too young too quickly!!
A lot of immature kids with lots of money and no motivation...

Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Jeff,

I would pay to see the News(as long as he did not have a tire iron in his hand) and Moses "fo fo fo" Malone but I believe the St. Louis Spirits had one of my favorits players of all time--Fly Williams-- who was admitted to Austin Peay University in Tennessee and showed up in the airport of Austin, Texas asking "where the Pea at". My favorite players never saw a shot they didn't like and could pick quarters off the top of the backboard and leave change.

Just not enough color in the game--I miss Darnell Hillman and the Doctors of Dunk, Warren Armstrong, Joe Caldwell, Ollie Taylor. Too much defense and low scoring. I also miss the Afros--check out James T. Silas's 1976 topps card--beats Oscar Gamble's afro any day.

Jim

Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Jeff,

I remember Fly Williams at Austin Peay (I grew up in Nashville). He had a teammate at Austin Peay named Percy Howard. Percy never played pro basketball but he did play in the NFL even though he didn't play football, only basketball, at Austin Peay. Percy Howard caught only 1 pass in the NFL, it just so happened to be a Touchdown pass in Super Bowl X no less.

marty

Old 11-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Darnell Hillman was a really good player and extremely entertaining. The league today lacks a lot of those personalities. Basketball had a golden age when the game was really fun to watch, but today it just isn't. I don't have the attention span to even sit through a whole game.

I was a huge fan of the ABA, and despite the fact that you got called for a technical for playing defense (or so it seemed) it always had great entertainment value.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Jim C and Marty,

I actually saw Fly play, IN HIGH SCHOOL! Although he was from Brooklyn, he went to prep school for at least one year at Glen Springs Academy. This school was just north of Watkins Glen, NY, about 20 miles from where I went to school. At the time, GSA was a school with about 18 students enrolled, all boys. All played basketball, either varsity or JV. My high school was the dominant team locally and we scrimmaged GSA before the season started. It was obvious then that he could score whenever he wanted, from where ever he was on the court, while controlling the pace of the game.

When he went to college, I believe the popular cheer at Austin Peay was:

"The Fly is open! Let's go Peay!"

Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Didn't Fly have some kind of legal problem that sidetracked his career?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I think he was shot in a robbery once. Is that classified as a "legal problem"?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Administrator

I think FLY was the victim in the robbery... not the perp.

When the ABA/NBA merged, the Spirits were not included so that meant FLY had to find a job with another NBA team and he got no offers, I guess.. I do know he played in Europe for a while.

Here is a link to the Robbery/shooting incident but I still can't make out if FLY was the PERP or the VIC.. sounds like the PERP from this article.. I hate the way some reporters write.. or maybe I am just dummer 'n a box of hammers.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE5DE173EF932A15751C0A9619482 60>

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

that's merely a 3 game suspension.............

My dad worked at the Fairgrounds as a second job in the 1970's here in Louisville and I went to MANY MANY Kentucky Colonels ABA games during the timeframe. That was cool. Don't remember many of the specifics because I'm not nearly as old as HRBaker (had to get a quick dig in) but I do remember them and when they were folded by the evil KFC Chicken empire and John Y Brown.

Like David Goff, I'm for pro basketball staying out of Louisville. We were close on the Hornets and one other team (supposedly) and hopefully even after a new arena, we'll be able to avoid a team.

I watch the finals ocassionally and watched the Bulls a lot during the Jordan hey days but very little now. I check box scores occasionally to see the ONE player that Louisville has in the pros......Francisco Garcia of the Kings. Bout it.

I like the quote about the fans being the ones who lose.....with high ticket prices, high parking, high food costs, etc, it's no longer the run of the mill fan's game.......

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I started watching the NBA Game of the Week in the late 50s / early 60s (idolized Cousy) but pretty much lost interest in the 90s. I suppose I'll be a minority of one on this, but I feel that the 3-point shot is an overall detriment to the game. Here's why.

- It's killed any emphasis on the mid-range jumper and players' ability of shoot it with any consistency.

- It cheapens good post play and doesn't reward good court positioning - like the game was designed to be.

- Most importantly, it cheapens the first 46 minutes (38 in college) of the game. A well-earned advantage is often lost by the ridiculous aspect of the game whereby the trailing team can foul and trade 3 points for 2. It's even worse in college where the 3-point line is close enough for the average grandmother to make. All this makes all but the end of the game seem meaningless and boring - and the last two minutes interminable - especially in college where time outs can be called after a made basket.

One other thing - the influx of high schoolers and players without full college training has spawned a league of great athletes who are crappy basketball players.

Add it all up - unwatchable.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

like your 'college training' quote. Think some of the training they miss is also more life training. That ultimately causes a lot of the off court problems of the game.........