NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default Throwing in the towel/New Beginning

Posted By: Anson

As of today, I have abandoned the E101 set altogether. A large part of my set will be heading on Ebay (I'm keeping my favorites). I have several reasons for doing so, but mainly because my interests have shifted. I plan on collecting individual players and may even look to writing a book about one specifically.

I want to thank many of you who have truly gone out of your way to help me in my pursuit of completing the set. It's a bit disappointing but I really am excited about pursuing my new interests. I still plan on using the knowledge and assistance of the board as much as possible.

Again, thank you kindly.

Anson

Old 11-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Is that the set with the three butt shots? Schmidt, Gibson and Chance?

The Magee "I can fly!" card, Seigle on the cross, Lajoie "park here for the Carnival", Smilin' Doyle, Miller - hit it to my left

And more. Much much more. Is this the set you are quitting? No.
McGraw in pink ! No.

Good luck, don't sell 'em, come back!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Gil, that's the one. Tons of character and wonderful colors. I'm keeping some of the more interesting cards, including many HOFers. But, I'm focusing on collecting and researching a specific player which will take a lot of time and money. I hope to write a biography at some point.

The E101 set is kind of the red-headed stepchild of caramels. Plain, unfinished backs with the exact photos pictured on the E92 and E102 sets (among others). However, it included 50 cards (10 more than E92s, 25 more than E102s) with a few HOFers not in the other sets (the Young being my favorite). Most of the cards in the set have less than 10-15 graded examples and tend to be much scarcer than the more expensive E102s. Originally produced in 1909, it's unknown what these were produced for, giving them the "Set of 50 anonymous" tag. Many theorize that they were the first run or trial for the Dockmans and other related sets, due to the emission of advertising and the statement on the back ending with a comma.

I will miss them....

Old 11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

So, can you tell us which player you will be concentrating on?

Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Say it ain't so, Anson. The E101s are underappreciated and I really thought you were ahead of your time.

After collectors determined that the E101s may actually predate the E102s, the E101s started to take off. With E90-1s release over the course of several years, the E92s in several different backs, and the E95s being relatively common, I felt the E101 Cobb card in particular might be one of Cobb's more interesting card that collectors considered his rookie card. Certainly, it is much harder to find than the E95 or E90-1 Cobb.

So I am curious too as to which player you are going to concentrate on.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

And neither do you:

"Tons of character and wonderful colors .....
much scarcer than the more expensive E102s"

It would be nice if money was no object, in part because from an investment standpoint, one could be led into thinking that e101s are a good choice. From my perspective, however, the character of the set is fantasatic!

Murphy seems to be thinking "I can't get dirty"
O'Hara: "This glove is too tight"
Bridwell - "I think I will sit here for a spell"

And on and on - maybe it is just me.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

I agree with the pro-101 agenda.
I have a back-burner collection going right now (31/50). I actually use e92s and e102s as "fillers."

Least we forget:

Davis' head first slide,
Knabe's portrait,
Heinie Zimm throwing something (a ball or maybe a game),
and, of course,
White vs. Striped caps !!!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator

I'm still keeping the Matty, Young, Cobb, Lajoie, and a few favorite commons. I still enjoy the set and may pick up some singles in the future.

As silly as it sounds, I would rather not discuss my direction on the board. Unfortunately, I've had a few people who want to make it their duty to outpocket me on every E101 that comes online. Not to whine, as I'm not a big fan of it, but it was getting irritating. I will probably deal with board members through email to complete deals from now on.

The board is still the best site online for vintage card collectors. However, the increasing amount of drama and mudslinging puts a dark cloud over all of the great stuff. I guess we're all human but I was hoping to avoid most of that here.

Well, I live and learn and am excited that I have a whole new hunt to pursue.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

wonder what you did to them to make you feel they want to out pocket you on cards? Can't imagine you ever doing anything wrong. I know for me, I have over 10,000 cards in holders now,outbid people all the time. Tbob will tell you that,however I personally bid to win and build sets.It takes patience and a testimony of such to complete a set.I too have almost the entire E-101 set complete but had to wqork on it for over 15 years.Maybe you should have dealt rather than ran and let time afford the cards you were looking for.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Brian, it was only a small reason for my direction. I do have limited time and funds and really want to pursue my new focus. But I agree, to put a set like the E101s together, it requires patience and persistence.

Although I love the set, I find that having the other things I'm looking for are more important to me than having some commons to fill a set. I appreciate some of the more interesting and colorful cards, but there are others that just don't excite me.

I'm hoping with my research in persistence in this new direction, I'll have something unique to enjoy and share with other collectors.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Anson,

Does your new direction have something to do with that blurry guy in your new avatar that I can't recognize?

Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

call me~ collect if necessary.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Richard, yes it does. That would be Harry Heilmann

Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Anson,

Much better pic. As they say, it's good to be harry.

Good luck with your endeavor.