NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Packs

Posted By: Thomas

I am a new member and have enjoyed reading about Vintage Baseball Cards. I am doing some research about tobacco cards and would like to ask for some help. I wanted to know about how these tobacco cards were packaged and if the cards were just stuck in packs, bags, boxes, etc. of tobacco. Were there cards inserted in Helmar boxes, Recruit, Caporal, etc? Thanks for any help, information or scans, etc. Keep up the good work. P.S. How were the Turkey Reds packaged? I understand that there was a mail in for those. Also is there a book or reference materials about how tobacco and pre-war cards were packaged and distributed? Thanks to all.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Packs

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I have written a guide that depicts every baseball related cigarette and tobacco issue from 1886-1930. Basically, the guide give a picture example of the card, along with a picture of the exact cigarette/tobacco package that the card came in with a description about the set and packaging... The years, factory numbers, districts, and state of production correspond on each pack pictured, almost certainly guaranteeing that the pack pictured in the guide once held a baseball card inside. For some of the packs pictured in the guide, there is only a single example known to exist.

Also, this guide contains two informative sections. The first of these sections helps to correctly date a cigarette pack. This section describes what to look for on the tax stamp, health warning, and manufacturer’s notice in order to determine the year it was manufactured. The second section offers factory number, district, and state of manufacture codes for virtually every baseball tobacco card issue ever produced. This section will help ensure that the cigarette or tobacco pack did contain a card.

I was lucky enough to have the help of many members of this board in compiling the information for the guide, as well as providing some of the pictures of cigarette/tobacco packs that were used in the guide.

The guide, itself, is free - but I do ask you to cover the shipping which is $1.50 (I don't require anyone to pay for shipping, but after a while, that $1.50 adds up!). It is 88 pages long - B&W inside, but has a nice full color thick stock cover to it... If you email me your address, I would be more than happy to send you a copy. The same is true for anyone else who would like a copy...

Now, as for your question about Turkey Reds. These premiums were redeemable by mailing in 10 coupons from boxes of Turkey Reds Cigarettes, or 25 coupons from either Old Mill or Fez Cigarettes... Below I have attached a photo of my Turkey Red box, as well as the T3 redemption coupon that would have been packaged inside...

Old 05-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Packs

Posted By: Jon Canfield

will get a guide. I have all your addresses down. However, I have had an overwhelming response from the board (25 requests in 3 hours - whoa!) - and I have unfortunately run through my stock I had. I have already talked to the graphics department and will be getting more guides printed, bound, and covered. So, if I haven't emailed you back just yet, bear with me! I'll have more guides ready to send out shortly! In order to keep costs down, I have our in-house graphics department do the printing and the binding as a favor to me - so I do have to work at their pace.