NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Default Teaching A New Dog.....Old Tricks?! **NEW UPDATED

I love baseball. In fair comparison, nothing can beat a sunny day at the ballpark. Being able to experience, the sound of the crack of the bat, the smell of hot dogs and hearing that pop of the ol’ leather glove. It’s heaven.
Growing up, idolizing the game and players who played it before I did there was something so majestic about it. When I was a kid, I loved looking at books and magazines reading about the game’s best players. I can recall sitting in my room flipping through a sports book with my brother, I had gotten for Christmas when I was 8, and just staring at the pictures. Then I would go outside play baseball with my brothers and neighborhood friend… pretending I just like Babe Ruth by pointing my bat to the neighbor’s house.
It was the photos of Charles Conlon, George Bain and photographers alike that helped make baseball America’s pastime as well. The part I really fell in love with was the view from the casual fan. Since I am a fan of baseball it’s truly amazing to see some old baseball snapshots taking by other casual fans who try to capture a moment in time with their favorite player. A candid snapshot from a fan, IMO..is more appealing to me because, it seem so natural and real. Sure they are not the best composition, angle, lighting, or clarity. That’s what makes them great! Gives it character!
THE MISSION:
I decided to challenge myself in bringing back this lost art of candid snapshots. Yes. I purchased original 50’s/ 60’s Polaroid camera and took pictures at baseball games with it. Yeah. It’s pretty crazy. Yes, you caused alot of attention…and YES…..you won’t believe the players reactions when they see you taking their picture with an old camera. Players came up to me just wanted to chat and asked me if I wanted their picture. They were so amazed and excited about it! Some players told me about their grandparent’s photos that they took when they went to games and spring training. The players felt like they travel back in time and felt like they were part of the “Golden Era” in baseball. Which is exactly what I wanted. I wanted to bring the past to the present.
I purchased a scrapbook that was from the 40’s to place my snapshot in to try look like an original scrapbook. The players originally signed their snapshot photo with a black fountain pen..but…that was challenge to get the players to sign with...”how do I use this?!”. So it is now..just a blue ballpoint pen,lol.
It took me a long time to figure out what camera and how it even worked. Wasn’t easy. I’m really pleased with the result after a long learning curve.

(sorry for the long post and many pics but wanted to finally share months of hard work and....hopefully photobucket behaves and display my picture the way they are supposed and saved.. )

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 03-01-2015 at 05:22 PM.
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Me..taking some snapshots!

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 10-01-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Best idea I've seen in a while!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Very cool! I happen to Live in Rockeldge, Fl about 5 mins from Space Coast stadium.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Best idea I've seen in a while!
I agree. Good stuff! Love the exposure and lighting variations.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:33 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Very cool idea and execution, Gary! You really captured the look and feel of so many olds scrapbooks I've seen, even down to the white handwritten notes on the black album pages and deckle-edge treatment to several of the snapshots! I hope you'll share some of the details such as which camera you settled on, where you got the film, any difficulties getting them developed, etc.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM
$teve O.

That is really cool Gary.Great job!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 PM
N@te

I like this a lot.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Graig Kreindler

BEYOND cool.

Graig
Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Very well Done. You really did capture that old time spirit.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 PM
qualitycards

Nicely done!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Gary,
Love it!

I especially like the photo of the photographer shooting with the vintage Polaroid Land Camera and the digital watch. Very retro & cool!
Nice job!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Jim H

That's why I love this site! I enjoy hearing about great ideas when it comes to collecting. That is a great story.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default WAY cool..........

Great idea and execution - thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Tim Carroll

Simply INCREDIBLE idea. Adding that attempt of the fountain pen just put it over the top. Keep it up!!

Tim

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM
chris

Great stuff Gary! As a photographer and vintage snapshot collector, I've thought about doing this myself. You definitely nailed it my man!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Jason Albregts

The Aaron Judge photo with the sun behind him (creating a silhouette) is just phenomenal.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! It really means alot!
There was an extremely large learning curve for me. Finding what camera,how to do the development process,where to get the film, and all the adjustments that are needed when using an older camera.

I use a Polaroid Land Camera 200's series for the camera. The film I use is FUJIFILM FP-3000B.They are made for the old Polaroid Land camera. They are pricey.$20+ per pack....and... you only get 10 picture per pack. I probably wasted about $100 just in film playing with the setting and learning the process of instant pack film. Some packs were wasted because it got jammed when pulling your snapshot out of the camera. However...It is a very rewarding experience once you get it down.

I started small ( Brevard County Manatees ) then, when I got the process down(took a few months)..I was aiming towards taking a trip to Tampa for Jeter's last game against the Rays. It was very cool experience, but it was extremely crowded and Jeter never came by my area once. Mark Tex did notice me and stop..gave me a thumbs up and said," Love it!" Part of the learning experience with that was not having the big ol'flash blub. The Tropicana Field wasn't friendly for my camera due to the lights being so high up and it was dark inside. Still happy to get some shots of what I could on Jeter last games and they will be going into my HOF snapshot collection

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 10-02-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind comments! It really means alot!
There was an extremely large learning curve for me. Finding what camera,how to do the development process,where to get the film, and all the adjustments that are needed when using an older camera.

I use a Polaroid Land Camera 200's series for the camera. The film I use is FUJIFILM FP-3000B.They are made for the old Polaroid Land camera. They are pricey.$20+ per pack....and... you only get 10 picture per pack. I probably wasted about $100 just in film playing with the setting and learning the process of instant pack film. Some packs were wasted because it got jammed when pulling your snapshot out of the camera. However...It is a very rewarding experience once you get it down.

I started small ( Brevard County Manatees ) then, when I got the process down(took a few months)..I was aiming towards taking a trip to Tampa for Jeter's last game against the Rays. It was very cool experience, but it was extremely crowded and Jeter never came by my area once. Mark Tex did notice me and stop..gave me a thumbs up and said," Love it!" Part of the learning experience with that was not having the big ol'flash blub. The Tropicana Field wasn't friendly for my camera due to the lights being so high up and it was dark inside. Still happy to get some shots of what I could on Jeter last games and they will be going into my HOF snapshot collection
Great stuff. Next time you are at the park.....dress the part (vintage clothing, top hat, etc.) That will certainly gain some player attention! Can't wait to see the next round of photos.....

Tim

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 10-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarrollArt View Post
Great stuff. Next time you are at the park.....dress the part (vintage clothing, top hat, etc.) That will certainly gain some player attention! Can't wait to see the next round of photos.....

Tim
Awesome pics and awesome idea!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Default NEW PICS...Washington Nats...with ESPN

Perfect day to shoot some ol' snapshot! BONUS..>ESPN's Baseball Tonight was on site! Buster Olney and Bram Weinstein loved my camera and photos. Was cool to be on ESPN for the airing of their show today! Don't be surprise if I make the not Top 10,lol

Ryan Zimmerman

Wilson Ramos

Bryce Harper

Max Scherzer

Denard Span

Practice

ESPN Bram Weinstein

BP
Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 PM
pariah1107

Not much more to say when Graig gives it a thumbs up...

Brilliant idea! Great camera work, and very well executed scrapbooking. Just a pleasure to see... thank you.