NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Default Bring out your Zeenuts!

Posted By: DMcD

This image of the 1928 San Francisco Seals Team Photo was taken from a glass negative which I won from Lelands a few months ago. I was hoping I could get some help to identify some of the players. I have appended a team roster which I got from MiLB.com ( http://tinyurl.com/3s4l3e ). So far I have been able to identify with varying degrees of certainty Roy Johnson (1st row, left), Gus Suhr (1st row, 3rd from left), Ping Bodie (1st row,4th from right), Frank Crosetti (1st row, 2nd from right), Babe Pinelli (2nd row, center), Dutch Reuther (3rd row, 2nd from left), Smead Jolley (3rd row, 4th from right), Earl Averill (3rd row, 2nd from right). You can get a better look at a much larger picture at my photo site ( http://tinyurl.com/52xkfv password=aloha). Thanks for any help.

Um. Wow. Vintage cards, scantily-clad Dutch people, uku-zillion penguins, authentic Polynesian maidens, spam musubi and more at . .
http://ImageEvent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika
Password=aloha

Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Roger Nisly from the Non-Sports Forum was kind enough to send me a couple of dozen images of Seals players from the late twenties and I have been able to identify around 2/3rds of the players in my photo, some more definite than others. This is what I have come up with so far:

Top: Andy Vargas, Dutch Reuther, Ike Caveney, Walter Mails, Nick Williams (mgr.), Unk., Smead Jolley, Elmer Jacobs, Earl Averill, Unk.
Middle: Jerry Donovan, Joe Sprinz (?), Unk., Unk., Babe Pinelli, Unk., Unk., Buckshot May (?), Frank Welch (?)
Bottom: Roy Johnson, Hal Rhyne (?), Gus Suhr, Unk., Ping Bodie, Unk., Frank Crosetti, Unk.

Somewhere in this photo are Solly Mishkin and Dick Moudy and Ollie Mitchell. Maybe one of you guys can spot 'em. Don't be shy. If you have Zeenuts and, even mo' bettah, Exhibits of Sprinz, Rhyne, Welch, Moudy, Mitchell, Jones, Walters, Ferguson, please post them.

Progress has been slow but it has been interesting in that I've picked up little tidbits about the players. For instance, in 1939 catcher Joe Sprinz attempted to catch a baseball dropped from a blimp at 1200 feet altitude, caught a concussion and four lost teeth instead. Buckshot May's entire ML career consisted of one inning with the Pirates in 1924 in which he faced five batters, gave up no runs, two hits, struck out one and was back pumping gas the next day. Ike Caveney took over the helm of the Seals in 1931 and was Joe DiMaggio's first manager.

(Edit to update id'd players)

Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Don't know if it is of much help.
[linked image]

Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

[linked image]

Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I tried but the Mishkin card I have is too vague a photo to make an ID.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Thank you, Steve. You nailed Caveney. Adam, "vague" is the operative term here. It's a challenge to match up beat-up Zeenut images with the guys in my photo. They all start looking like each other after a while. Hopefully by the process of elimination Mishkin will reveal himself.

Here are Sprinz and Rhyne. Maybe someone has a better idea which ones they are.
[linked image] [linked image]