NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2023, 07:43 AM
Al

Default Open for Bidding - Love of the Game's Summer, 2023 Auction

Hi everyone!

Happy to announce that the Love of the Game Summer Premier Auction is live and open for bidding.

I'm really excited about this auction, it's full of unique items and things you don't see every day.

My favorite item in the auction is the "Hellfire Boys" equipment collection, which is a grouping of YMCA, Knights of Columbus, and other bats that were discovered in France. In 1917, Clark Griffith organized a nationwide fundraiser to send athletic equipment to American troops stationed overseas, and that's what this collection represents - nine bats, three chest protectors and three masks, all in a wooden trunk. Among the bats are two Ty Cobb bats and an Eddie Collins. It's a great piece.

We've also got what's probably our most extensive 19th Century selection ever.

Part of the 19th Century selection includes a large run of N172 Hall of Famers, and a number of Old Judge proof cabinets, along with a large selection (!) of Whitehead & Hoag/Cameo Pepsin pins.

There are a number of rare cards, highlighted by a 1923-24 Tomas Gutierrez card of Oscar Charleston, graded VG/EX 4 by SGC.

One of the most interesting is a newly-discovered 1955 Topps Hocus Focus Lou Gehrig. This is one of what we believe to be just two known examples. Crazy to think that the most rare Lou Gehrig card was made by Topps, but here we are.

And probably the most fun and interesting part of the auction, at least to me, is a world class grouping of cabinets, photos, and postcards featuring women in baseball around the turn of the century. I'll admit that prior to the auction I had very little knowledge about this topic, but there's so much to learn! Please check out the section and read some of the descriptions, there is some fascinating history there that we don't get to read about very often.

The auction closes August 19. A link to the full auction is here:

https://bid.loveofthegameauctions.com/Lots/Gallery

Good luck to those bidding and consigning!

-Al

PS - as you scroll today, you may find some missing descriptions. We had an internet outage at the office last night, so we'll be adding those descriptions as the day goes by today.

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 08-03-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought Barry Arnold would have posted by now.

In any case, seeing no responses, bumping this to say another outstanding auction from a guy who epitomizes what is good in the auction business.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:44 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Lotg

Al, ole buddy
I'm thrilled to see that women's baseball is one the foci for your most mesmerizing auction! This area has been neglected by many collectors for some time now-- and you have brought to us carefully chosen treasures. Many thanks for this. I'm delighted by so much in this auction but the historian in me celebrates the OJs , the treasure chest of Cobb bats +, photographs of the greats of baseball by the greats of photography & unique memorabilia I've never seen before!
With Peter S., I would also underscore that it's such a pleasure to know that LOTG embodies ETHICS unequivocally. all the best, ole buddy Al and ole buddy Peter. Barry
Old 08-04-2023, 09:42 AM
Al

Thanks, gentlemen. Awfully kind of you both.

Your checks are in the mail.

-Al
Old 08-04-2023, 10:25 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I thought Barry Arnold would have posted by now.

In any case, seeing no responses, bumping this to say another outstanding auction from a guy who epitomizes what is good in the auction business.
I will second that! And it was great to see Al and Andrew in Chicago.

Just another terrific LOTG auction with some truly unique offerings!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 08-04-2023, 03:20 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Fantastic offerings as usual Al, congratulations on another winning auction.

Already have too many placeholder bids, you sir are a very bad influence...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-05-2023, 06:25 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Great auction as always!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-19-2023, 08:21 AM
Charles Jackson

Last day. Some lucky person is going to get that Oscar Charleston Rookie.