NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Default The Trader Speaks

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

Those Board Members who have been in the hobby for 20+ years will remember waiting
patiently each month for their copy of Dan Dischley's Trader Speaks.

Back in those days, one could actually aquire great cards (at cheap prices) from
magazine ads.

Legendary collectors often authored articles in this early day hobby magazine.

As we looked back at early 70's issues of The Trader Speaks, we thought about
the early days of the hobby, when many collections were built by "trades" between
collectors.

At a time when T 202's were worth $5 in excellent condition and one could
(as we did) buy a near mint N 162 set for $300 trading was often
a better way of obtaining the Ramly or E 107 you needed.

Our question is what is the most interesting trade you ever made?

Ours was trading three Ramlys to Wharton Tigar for #167 Old Judge. Sir Wharton
actually felt he had gotten a better deal and insisted upon sending $25.00
along with the #167 of Corcoran.

Let's hear about your most memorable trade.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koochin

'Back in the day' I can remember getting a T206 Ty Cobb bat off PB, Red portrait, and Cobb bat on
all 3 for $200. Bought a few lots of T206s, maybe paid $150 or so for lots of 100 commons about VG-EX.

Have had the same experience as yourself, wasnt unusual to get cash back or an extra card
on a trade, in fact I cant recall a sinlge bad transaction from the Trader Speaks, and in those
days things were bought sight unseen, no such thing as scanners and fussing about grading.

Good articles, seem to recall an article about a collector who had opened hundreds of T206
packs, and he and his friends had thousands, claimed no one has ever pulled a Wagner from a
pack. Wasnt there a cover too of the T206 Eddie Collins batting proof?

Also seem to recall a simliar publication called the Collector Talks, which if I remember
correctly was either published in Wisconsin or Michigan? Always lots of good quality EX T206s
usually Polar Bear backs from that area.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

About '74 or so I ran an ad offering to trade 50 '70-'72 Topps for a T206, or 100 for a T205. I was about 13. I got so slammed with T cards I was buying up everyones collection in the neighborhood. When it was all said and done I had about 200 T206's and 50 or so T205's. I thought I'd be lucky to get a dozen.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

By far this is my most memorable trade and as far as I know the biggest money value trade ever(over $100,000 from each side) for graded sportscards.

Don Louchios has the finest T206 card collection in the world. Don approached me and said he had a near duplicate set of 1933 Goudey Sport Kings in PSA 8 and would trade me 16 of the 18 cards I needed to complete the set(including the Cobb, Ruth and Bobby Jones)for 25 T206s I had he needed.

To make a long story short after valuing all the cards in the trade Don threw in 1 52T psa 9, a few batter ups in psa 8, a 51 Berk Ross Snider and Mays in psa 8 and a number of 1958T psa 8 commons I needed.

I flew out to Beverly Hills(from NJ) to deliver the cards to him in person.

It was a tough trade to do from my perspective as I was including 5 psa 8 pop 1s, a couple psa 9 pop 1s and a psa 9 Tinker(bat off)but I loved the Sport King set and I was glad I did it.

I posted the full story on LTS. If anyone is interested in all the cards in the trade, who valued them and a lot of the background a current LTS member would probabjy post the thread.

Jim

Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: judson hamlin

A bit more proletarian on this one, but my first three T206s were Waddell (pitch) and the Joss and Lajoie portraits (all in vg) that I traded for an exmt/nrmt Dave Winfield rookie, circa 1983-4. Beverly Hills not involved.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

(I've probably posted this in similar threads)

Most memorable trade - was with Steve Murray.

I think I sent him some T206s, and he sent me a couple of T200s I needed for my set.

Better than the cards received...
I got to know Steve.

And since then - I email him to show a new pickup or when I need some advice.

One of the good guys in the hobby.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bob donaldson

Some of the most memorable trades I've made have included;

35 Goudey Ruth and others to Chuck Paris for a large amount of T206s

Years later I traded a number of T206s back to Chuck for a beautiful 51 Bowman Ted Williams.

More T206s went out to Mac Wubben for some T205s and T202s including "Before the battle" w/ Matty

Still more T206s to Marc Del Percio for a large amount of T205s including Ty Cobb.

Trading is fun!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and I think the other side feels like it was a very good deal, too.

I traded a T201 signed Zack Wheat (SGC/JSA) and an SGC 70 T206 Eddie Collins for a T206 signed Zack Wheat (SGC/JSA).

I had doubles of the T201 signed Wheat and there was no other way to pry the T206 Wheat away from James Feagin, other than to offer him one of the brightest T206 cards I have ever owned -- my SGC 70 Collins.

I absolutely love the T206 signed Wheat, and I understand why James was so reluctant to part with it.

Thanks again James!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

"About '74 or so I ran an ad offering to trade 50 '70-'72 Topps for a T206, or 100 for a T205. I was about 13. I got so slammed with T cards I was buying up everyones collection in the neighborhood. When it was all said and done I had about 200 T206's and 50 or so T205's. I thought I'd be lucky to get a dozen."

Great story, but I think it illustrates a troubling part of today's advanced collectors. Basically, this board is a modern day version of the subscribers to Trader Speaks. During the Trader Speaks active printing, many, if not the majority, of those collectors still purchased the "Modern Junk" each year. Sadly, few from this board probably buy modern cards. I think that is a fundamental problem with the hobby when the advanced collectors does not take joy in obtaining a new set each year. If they don't, how can one expect to attract the next generation to enjoy.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I just want to interject that trading is alive and good. I have made numerous trades in the last few weeks....Yesterday, I traded a Zeenut with coupon for a D303 common I needed....I enjoy trading a lot....I don't know of too many memorable ones I have done besides one that included a Four Base Hits and full set of D359's, a Texas Tommy of Johnson and a set of D322's....... it was very convoluted and fun....regards

Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Leon,

I agree that trading is fun. It's also a great way of saving cash. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, I went into my favorite card store and saw a '34 Diamond Star Lefty Grove in the glass case selling for $495.

I didn't have that much cash on hand and I didn't want to put the card on my credit card. So I went home and got my binder of '57 Topps doubles and a '65 Topps Mantle. I took these cards down to the store and traded 3 '57 doubles along with my '65 Topps Mantle and $200 for the Lefty Grove.

Very satisfied with the trade overall.

Peter C.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

Peter,
What is your favorite card shop? I live in the Bay Area and don't know of any worth visiting.

David

Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

David,

I told Net54 members more than once, that I consider only one card store in the Bay Area that is worth going to. That is Stevens Creek Sportscards, ask to speak with Kevin when you are there.

Peter C.