NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Best Auction Catalog ?

Posted By: Alan

Taking Black Sox fan's idea of a previous post on auction websites --

Just out of curiosity, whose auction catalog do you feel is the best? There are a bunch to choose from ... Lelands, Mastro, REA, Hunt, Grey Flannel, etc..etc...etc..etc...

I'm not talking about size of the catalog or who has the best stuff or price/registration procedures, but rather, I would be curious to hear your thoughts as to who had the best photography, catalog binding/paper (glossy, etc,...) best descriptions, best layout, organization of subjects, etc,...???

Thanks.
Alan

Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Mastro may be the best practiced at this.

The rest make their respected headlines just fine.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I think Mastro once again probably does the best overall job, but one thing I don't like about most of the auction houses is that when they have a large collection in one lot they may only show a couple of pictures. The Neal Ball collection had about 10 different items in it, including his lifetime pass, and a couple of panoramic photos, but none of the items were pictured even though they used the entire page to advertise the single lot.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I really like Mastro's catalog but REA has done a great job the last few times. Rob's last auction catalog was great with super pictures and write ups.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One complaint about MastroNet is the 'fancy' writing style of some descriptions. Reading some sentences can cause seizures.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

David- I agree with you fully. The photos and presentation are superb- but the writing is so convoluted and so many words and phrases are so poorly used that sometimes I am not even sure what I am reading. I think they feel the more they write the better the item sounds, but from the feedback I get from collectors they would prefer that the descriptions were more succinct and didn't stray so far off topic. If the writers are reading this- I know Peter is- please consider that this would be a great improvement.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

This post, in addition to the thread i started has been of great use to both my staff and myself.

Thanks.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

excellent, informative descriptions without much of the frothing that Mastro does. Mastro's catalogs tend to be verbose hype-fests.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Mastro short spaces some things....they're both awful good, though.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I think there are really two classes of catalogs. There are the big, fancy ones and in this category clearly Mastro and REA do the best. I find their descriptions interesting and many times I walk away from an item's description with a new appreciation of the card or the piece of memorabilia. This can only add to the consignment's realization.
At the other end are the catalogs which basically just present the card with a minimal amount of verbage. Here there is a real art to describing the item as succinctly as possible while still emphasizing why it is special. In this category I place Lew Lipset at the top of the list. His knowledge and experience are readily apparent in his descriptions.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

enlargable pictures. Sloate, too.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Mr. Lipset is a great fellow... good place to buy cards.

Bill Goodwin is good, too. www.goodwinandco.com

I'm done buying anything from Sportscards Plus after they gave me the runaround on the phone when I was trying to pay for an eBay auction (I can't recall ever having such trouble trying to give someone money, whoever I kept getting transferred to didn't want to fool with the credit card info), and then, after it was all done, they left me 3 retaliatory neutrals in feedback. I won the auction, promptly paid, and neutral??? Shame is I used to like to do business with them, but they've become big and less nice. Lipset and Goodwin are small enough operations that they're grateful for business, nice to buyers and sellers... and nice is still worth something to me.

Frank.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The MastroNet writers know grammar and can put together sentences, and the introductary stories are often interesting. I also understand that they're going to hype. My single recommendation to the writers is that they stick to normal adjectives and nouns, especially when describing something like a Topps baseball card.

I add that I'm not trying to be mean, and hesitated to criticize as I understand that behind the big auction houses are real people who work hard.

When writing copy for my own auctions, it's a balancing act between explaining to the beginner and insulting the intelligence of the experienced collector. Whichever way I describe, the rule is the description has to be accurate. If the description and words choice are accurate, there's nothing to appologize for. If an item is described as 'unique' that should mean there isn't a second ... On a few occasions, after reading my own eBay description I've convinced myself to keep the item. I think that counts as a sale.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

when I write an auction description for a boxing card I just plagiarize my own book

Old 09-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

You can't plagiarize your own book- it's yours. You are merely recycling the information.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Mastro, REA and I really do like Lelands. You think Mastro's writing is nauseating...the writer's at Lelands think they are a combination of James Joyce and James Thurber. Too flowery. I do like Josh's "vision" though but wish they would go back to the old days where Lelands would simply offer decent descriptions beside the photos. I am also very impressed by my Huggins And Scott catalog I got in the mail the other day.

DJ

Old 09-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Interesting observations, so do you feel the catalogue or the site is more important to an auction houses success?

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Ted,

I think all auction catalogs and web sites (and the way auctions are run) are all basically the same. You have the gorgeous catalog, nice photography, decent descriptions, a sister site that matches the catalog and then you have the other factors. The % charged. The shipping costs. Whether or not they shipped your item in a previous auction in a timely fashion. Their customer service.

I have had issues with two auction houses (including Lelands) and both companies had the attitude: "How can we make you happy?" which I rather enjoyed. Josh was a class act in our transaction and went above and beyond what I expected.

There are certain things that rub some people the wrong way, but some people may enjoy it. For one of my friends, it's the way the photographs in the catalogs don't allign with the description. For me, it's the way something is worded.

I.E #653 Where does one begin with this humongous collection of approx. 700 single signed 8 x 10's of the rich and (sometimes not so) famous from the heights (and depths) of every major sport under the sun? With Bob Feller or Eli Grba? A seductive shot of the Williams sisters in lingerie? Arnie (signed) and Jack from the time of the JFK administration? Max Schmeling (signed) with Adolf Hitler? Kelly McPeak nearly coming out of her beach volleyball bikini going for the ball? Bad-hair college basketball coaches like Pete Gillen and Tom Penders? A signed SI cover of Icky Woods?...Or leave 'em out of order for the sports slide show of your life. Signatures and photos all NRMT, and stupefyingly eclectic.

Will I never bid on another Lelands auction? No! I would prefer a simple list of signed photos instead of the writing exercise above but you know what, It's a small pet peeve.

DJ

Old 09-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

DJ -
Good points.
Perhaps my question was oversimplified. At the end of the day, an auction house is going to be successful due to a combination of the following: quality and/or rarity of items/customer service/competitiveness of rates. I guess my questions should have read something like: Assuming all other things equal, do you feel website or catalogue is more important to the success? As a fledgling auction business, we are taking a very different approach to running this business than traditional lots. While it is no secret that my passion is with vintage baseball cards ... we also specialize in Lighters, Fountain Pens, Watches, and other collectibles. We are also very capable with computer equipment and other electronics. Our process allows us to offer quicker turn-around with items, lower commission rates, and quicker delivery of goods. We are somewhere on the map between places like Sotheby's/Christie's/Mastron/Lelands/etc..etc.. and auctiondrop/isoldit/snappyauctions. To get back on topic, i have never even considered catalogue auctions because of the nature of our business. It is in part what drives costs up. We have every intention of having some "announced" auctions, but at this time, we don't plan on doing that. The business needs to generate enough volume for us to be able to implement some of our other tricks...i'm a child of the computer age, for better or worse, i think that will allow us to really shock you guys with some great toys and tricks. We just have to keep growing.
I believe that the most important aspect of our business is customer service. We always want to get the most money for our clients' products. However, we have also run into some really cookie and unusual customers..which is why we have recieved 3 negative feedbacks in the last year on eBay. I refuse to be bullied by a customer at the danger of exposing our clients privacy or because of buyers always looking for something for nothing. Alright, enough of my digression, i'm here working the rest of the night, but i guess i would like to know how important the catalogue is to the success of the auction.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I got my thing from REA before they could POSSIBLY have gotten my check. I sent them an e-mail: hey,. how come? Do you do this often? Rob Lifson writres me back "There's a rumor going around that you very seldom stiff auction houses..."

As if he had NOTHING ELSE TO DO but e-mail me an answer to my question...

Old 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

The bottom line is to make the customer happy, and that takes work and isn't always successful despite your best intentions. As far as costs: when I felt the cost of my color catalogs was becoming prohibitive, I switched my business to ebay. While I've had good success I've come to realize that if you sell an expensive item, say several thousand dollars, between ebay's increased fees and those of paypal, I'm losing a couple of hundred dollars off the top. Suddenly, the color catalog is looking very affordable. As such, I'm going back to a catalog auction for my better pieces and using ebay for my less costly ones. Try a catalog auction, it can be quite successful. And keep the descriptions short on verbiage and long on facts. That's what customers appreciate most. I love Mastronet's auctions but there is too much to read. REA can be a bit long winded too but they get to the point of what makes a lot special in a more concise manner. The Mastronet descriptions are often unfocused, and jump around a lot between facts and then veer off into superfluous digressions. Well, that's just my experience. Truth is as long as the customer is happy you can make anything work.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'm your typical 1st grade level reader... give me BIG pictures and I'm happy.

Telling me that back damage on blank back cards is not significant and that I should accept the damage as normal doesn't sell me on the lot or the catalog.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Add Huggins and Scott to the list of exceptional catalogs. I just got mine in the mail today and spent a couple hours looking through it and they did a fantastic job.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

Half of Mastro's descriptions remind me of bad 1920s sportswriting. Step away from the thesaurus, and just tell me about the lot.

As far as the pictorial work and the physical catalog quality, I find it hard to rank any one major auction house ahead of the others.

As to catalog vs. website, my practice is to read the catalog when I get it, making notes of which lots I may want to follow up on, and use the website for bidding purposes and for further investigation on lots that interest me. They are complementary in my mind.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Ted,

I think it's a Catch-22. I think the catalog is very vital. In saying that, catalogs are very pricey. You simply can't send them to everyone. You have to have the all-mighty mailing list. Mr. X needs a copy of what you are offering.

How many auction houses decide one day to rival Mastro and fail? I can name a few that made noble attempts. Anyone win anything from Slater's?

I used to buy from an outlet that sent me catalogs on a monthly basis. All of a sudden, NADA. I bought something roughly every other month from this company and now I'm off the mailing list because I didn't buy (I did bid) anything for three months?

Haven't purchased anything from this company in over a year. Oh, plus the owner is a "piece of work" who never contacted anyone personally but had "his assistants" answered all the questions through him.

I also get catalogs for items I don't collect like Train Collectibles, Toys, Comics, Original Stock Certs and I don't know how I got on their mailing lists, but I keep getting them monthly.

Example:

In 2001, I made several big purchases from Grey Flannel. I did receive their catalogs for I believe two years but nothing interested me so I won nothing. I'm off their list.

I don't think I've ever won a thing from Mastro to be honest with you. I do give it the college try but their prices are simply too good for me. I click $2,000, I blink and it's at $3,800. I still get their catalog when it comes out. I believe as long as you bid on items, you will receive their catalogs in the future.

I'm very impressed with Huggins and Scott and over time, their catalogs will grow in size and will eventually be a force to be reckon' wit like REA. Today I spent the day outside (sunny) with my H&S catalog and a yellow pad marking down items I desire and will chase after.

DJ

Old 09-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Administrator

I think you have some very astute points, which is why we are still struggling with exactly how to approach a mass marketing for our business. We are very simply an outlet for people with nice stuff to use. We can sell their items for more money and reduce a lot of the stress for the end user..... see auction drop.....

We are not ideally an auction house and that is why i struggle with how to market ourselves in the fast changing market.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

I have always thought that the large auction catalogs should have some kind of index, either at the front or the back of the catalog. Many of us save the catalogs to be used for research purposes. I have kept all of the major catalogs for the past decade or so. However, trying to locate an item without remembering which auction catalog it was in is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Administrator

in--no thanks to them, though! Lipset (after, I think, a few featured items) lists things by date and name--holy cow, what a concept!

Still not sure what "numerology" has to do with graded cards--didn't it have to do with reading numbered bumps on your head to see what kind of guy you were? I know "numer--" sounds like "numbers." Come to think of it, maybe that's how the grading companies do it--they feel the bumps on the card!

Old 09-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davicycleback

I like an auction that is run smoothly and where you get what was described. I like an auctioneer who is knowledgeable and honest. The weight of the catalog or the shape of the packaging peanuts does not effect me.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I like both the catalog and internet for big auctions. I mainly look at a catalog to make sure I didn't over look something when scanning the internet. If you are trying to get away from using ebay for your auctions please do not have a registration fee. This is a big turn off for me b/c I do not want to spend $75 dollars to have the right to bid on an auction. Until I get to a point where I have to have an auction without regards to price, spending $75 on a whelm is pretty absurd.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

What I would like to know.....

How much does MastroNet, REA (the Walmarts of auction houses) and other companies spend on their large catalogs. Total cost would include all aspects of prepping (graphics, commentary, binding, etc) and delivering (packaging, S/H) the catalogs. This would obviously depend upon circulation and other numbers.

How much is spent by the smaller reputable (mom and pop outfits) auction houses in creating their catalogs? The little guys have less resources to dedicate to the auctions but it is probably a necessity to enhance the success of the auction. My guess is that a tough part in being a smaller auction house is that "mom and pop" have to wear many different hats (editor, distribution, etc).