NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default Grading Issue and Questions

Posted By: James Gallo

Ok guys bear with me on this one...

I sent 103 modern card (Yes I love baseball and therefore love some modern players)cards to PSA on the bulk rate at $6 a card. I get the cards back about a month and a half after I send them in which is a typical turn around on this tier.

After going through all the cards I notice 13 cards are labeled wrong. All of these cards are limited parallels (which either look very different or were numbered on the back or both) but were correctly listed on the submission form. I sent an email to a customer service rep I have dealt with before and I get a response from someone else...

Anyway after going several rounds with her via email this was the solution I got.

It was a mechanical error. Send the cards back. It will take about two weeks to get them recased. We will send you a voucher for the value of the shipping costs and that is it.

So I asked her how is that any different from just paying to get more cards graded. ie I pay the shipping they give me some free grading at the same value, but I don't get anything beyond that. So after being out the cards for near 2 months I am supposed to send them back and not be able to sell them for close to another month just so PSA can fix a mistake and I get absolutely no compensation for the loss of time or money???

So here are my questions as they relate to vintage.

I have been considering switching all my modern grading to Beckett, however they will cost $1-2 more per card and the grading will be a lot more strict. Instead of PSA 10's I will end up with Beckett 9's or 9.5 which IMO just don't sell for the same price. It's that whole mental thing about a 10 vs a 9.5

So would you be willing to pay a more for better service and less mistakes, but also knowing your cards will likely have lower grades. Let's assume here that the cards will sell for equal dollar's.

What if you know your going to take a value hit of say 10-20%? Does that change what you would do?

Would you accept PSA's solution to this problem and send the cards or just sell them as they are?

Would this be enough for you to leave PSA forever?

I have had this happen to me in the past with a E-90 that they marked as a T-206. Totally different player and all. With all of the so called PSA checks this crap should not happen on this wide of a scale.

I would like this to be a thread that responds with opinions about this situation as I already know this is a very anti PSA board in all and I don't use them for pre-war stuff.

Looking forward to the responses.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

James - Firstly, PSA should have done something more for you - that amount of error is rediculous.
Your question seems to be a simple dollars question:
the cost of not having the cards for the time it takes to fix the problems
vs
the difference in sales prices between the 9.5 and the 10

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Wow 13% of your order was labeled wrong.

I agree, you need to speak to someone higher up the food chain.

As for switching over to Beckett, if you are doing this for resale I wouldn't, if you are thinking of doing it and jsut want the cards for your collection I'd go there in the future if that would make me happy.

The cards are what is important not some slab.

Steve

Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

James, the flaw in your thinking is that you assume that you will get better service from Beckett. My one and only experience with Beckett grading was a nightmare. They screwed up and delayed my cards and I wasn't offered anything. I would have been very happy with "We are sorry about the mix up and we will try to do better next time". Instead, I get two rude, smart ass customer service people who could care less about my problem.

Rick

Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Rick

Well I have submitted to Beckett, though not in the quanity I have to PSA, but I have had no problems with Beckett and have never got a mis labeled card back from them.

At this point I don't think Beckett could do any worse then PSA.

James

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.