NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Default Research goes a long way...

I am wondering if any fellow board members can share any stories about pieces that were added to their collection and upon further research discovered information that significantly impacted the piece's historical and/or monetary value. Not that one directly impacts the other.

I originally posted this on the June Pick Up thread but thought it would be interesting to see if other board members has similar stories.

Description on the Babe Siebert Lot only described it as a Rare 1938 auto(one year before his death) in a not often seen hand written format, no other important facts.

The reality is that this Post card was written while Babe and the Montreal Canadiens made hockey history when they embarked on the FIRST ever European Tour with the Detroit Red Wings that saw the FIRST ever NHL Exhibition Game in Europe....the FIRST NHL games outside of North America. They would play 9 exhibition games in England and France.

The post card is dated April 26, 1938 and Babe in this post card speaks of," just getting back from one a few minutes ago", and is in Paris. He actually scored in the game that he makes a mention of. Very historical piece with great hockey content.

I added some newspaper clippings of some of the press at that time.

Lucky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babesiebert1.jpg (76.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg babesiebert2.jpg (77.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg babegoalApril.jpg (18.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg babesiebertnewspaper.jpg (95.6 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by LuckyLuke; 06-24-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Happens to me relatively often in boxing and other less followed sports.

This is probably my favorite research piece. I spotted it in an auction of boxing photos, unremarked upon in the description:

The image was shot in December 1960 and the Clay team printed them up in this format for distribution to fans. The first run of about 100 was made in 1960, with additional printings thereafter. The signature is facsimile and was added some time after the initial print run. Obviously, no more were printed after he changed to Muhammad Ali.

I found this in a sportswriters archive from the late 1960s:

Turned out to be a Connie Hawkins pre-RC from his ABA days, part of a 1968 Minnesota Pipers team issue of 10 cards. Very tough to find.

This one I came to understand from boxing card collecting:

It is from a 1959 set issued in Argentina. I researched the set for my boxing book because it has some boxers. When I saw this one of HOFer Goose Tatum I understood just how rare it was. I nearly didn't get it. The seller misdirected it and it went from Argentina to NY back to Argentina then finally to me in L.A.

This one is a find:

I've been working on the 1925 Exhibit champions set for many years. The last few cards are obscure and tough. When this came to market I recognized it as from the set by its format so I went after it. Once I got the card I started to read up on the team and found out that it was coached by a HOFer, Ernest Blood. Further research confirmed that the dude on the far left with the 'stache is Blood, making this one of the earliest regular issue cards of a basketball HOFer.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM

Very nice indeed....
Old 06-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not in the same league historically, but along the same lines.
Bought a neat hockey postcard at a stamp show.

The back looked like it might be more interesting than usual.

A quick check here on the board, and a bit of looking up, yes, a bit more interesting.

I make custom pages for all my nicer stuff, slow going, but hopefully it will keep the stuff from being unrecognized after I'm gone.
The black and white photo and the picture of the Autograph on a stick were from other members here.

I don't have scans, but last year I picked up a small photo of one of the 1930's racing airplanes. A bit of research let me narrow down the picture to a particular day and event. One of the tougher ones, 3+ pages of explanation for a card sized photo.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I buy game-used lineup cards. In this area I've definitely found items that a bit of research shed some interesting light and increased value dramatically.

One recent example was a late 90's Jays lineup card that I discovered was from the only save of Roy Halladay's career. Went from maybe a $10 lineup card to $150.

Biggest example was Frank Thomas's 500th homerun lineup card