NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Anyone happen to know when the 13 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson cards were issued relative to the original 48 card Bond Bread set with rounded/die cut corners?
Take a look at this thread- goes into great detail
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Have read this thread today with interest. I remember the cards being for sale back in the late 70s in an ad in the Trader Speaks but passed on them as I had a feeling they were NOT originals at the time. Interestingly, I bought about 40 or so 8 x 10 black and white poster-like inserts(?) of the same players and poses at the Saturday Flea market where back in the day you could still make some cool finds.... still have them buried in a box somewhere, I remember Ted Williams, Joe Louis, Primo Carnera, Max Baer, Phil Rizzuto, Stan Musial, Bob Feller and a few others.... they were on a soft paper looked to be from the 40s or 50s..... same poses and signatures..... any info on these? Blank backed .... no manufacturer anywhere. They do have borders on them unlike a lot of the cards Ive seen.

Last edited by NiceDocter; 04-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Have read this thread today with interest. I remember the cards being for sale back in the late 70s in an ad in the Trader Speaks but passed on them as I had a feeling they were NOT originals at the time. Interestingly, I bought about 40 or so 8 x 10 black and white poster-like inserts(?) of the same players and poses at the Saturday Flea market where back in the day you could still make some cool finds.... still have them buried in a box somewhere, I remember Ted Williams, Joe Louis, Primo Carnera, Max Baer, Phil Rizzuto, Stan Musial, Bob Feller and a few others.... they were on a soft paper looked to be from the 40s or 50s..... same poses and signatures..... any info on these? Blank backed .... no manufacturer anywhere. They do have borders on them unlike a lot of the cards Ive seen.
They are from a 1940s multisport pack. Here are a few:

This Graziano is not one of the bread cards but he was a major personality in the late 1940s:

I've also had FB players Johnny Lujack and Doc Blanchard, and Bob Feller.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 PM
Rocky Rockwell

YES thank you ExhibitMan those are the ones! Now that you mention, I seem to remember a few football as well.... maybe Glenn Davis? I will post a list of what I have when I dig em out! Thanks again for posting.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Hi Ted,

Not sure if this is the thread http://www.network54.com/Forum/52660...Navy+Ships+set where you got that picture of the "Navy Ships"box. The post by Troy Kirk shows a box that contains movie star cards with the clipped/rounded corners.

You suggested in this thread the corners were clipped/rounded on the baseball issue for inserting with the bread so would you conclude that these movie stars cards may have been distributed the same way and would that make these a 1947 issue as well?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Hi Ted,

........ The post by Troy Kirk shows a box that contains movie star cards with the clipped/rounded corners.

You suggested in this thread the corners were clipped/rounded on the baseball issue for inserting with the bread so would you conclude that these movie stars cards may have been distributed the same way and would that make these a 1947 issue as well?

Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg

I don't recall saying the cards of the Movie Stars issue had "rounded corners". The 12-card box (with Lucille Ball) shown that you are alluding to contains square-cornered cards.
The window of this box has beveled corners (not the cards in it). Here are some of my Movie Stars cards. My research indicates that these cards were issued circa 1949-1950.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-08-2020 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added imageevent scans.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Hi Ted,
That is my point. The link I included in my post to you contained a post by Troy who has these movie star cards in box and the cards have rounded/clipped corners. The movie star cards you showed do not.

Here is a picture of a friend's boxed sets. These cards all have clipped/rounded corners. In fact he listed the singles on ebay. Here is a link to one of the cards that came out of those boxes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judy-Garland...4AAOSwdI9Y8Twg
Thanks,
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenstars.jpg (78.0 KB, 795 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
Take a look at this thread- goes into great detail
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169
Great read...thanks for the link! Still trying to determine which card was released first though, the portrait with facsimile auto promo card (white borders) that is part of the Jackie set or the die cut/rounded corner portrait that was part of the regular issued 48 card set? Has this been established? And if so, which came first?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Great read...thanks for the link! Still trying to determine which card was released first though, the portrait with facsimile auto promo card (white borders) that is part of the Jackie set or the die cut/rounded corner portrait that was part of the regular issued 48 card set? Has this been established? And if so, which came first?
The white border auto promo card was first distributed in June 1947 in NYC (and I believe outside of NYC, specifically Baltimore and DC - but I will confirm that in a few weeks once my schedule frees up and I have time to go through my last bit of research material).

While I am not sure an exact release date for either can be pinned down, Ted Z will likely be able to confirm whether or not the die-cut / rounded corners set of 44 was available prior to June 1947.

It should also be noted that, in addition to both the white facs. auto and the die cut set of 44 card, Jackie did have another card come out in 1947 - the Old Gold Kneeling in Dugout card. That card, however, was distributed in September, 1947.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
The white border auto promo card was first distributed in June 1947 in NYC (and I believe outside of NYC, specifically Baltimore and DC - but I will confirm that in a few weeks once my schedule frees up and I have time to go through my last bit of research material).

While I am not sure an exact release date for either can be pinned down, Ted Z will likely be able to confirm whether or not the die-cut / rounded corners set of 44 was available prior to June 1947.

It should also be noted that, in addition to both the white facs. auto and the die cut set of 44 card, Jackie did have another card come out in 1947 - the Old Gold Kneeling in Dugout card. That card, however, was distributed in September, 1947.
Thanks Shaun! I'm anxiously awaiting input from Ted (or anyone for that matter) regarding his knowledge of the release of these two cards. Just trying to establish which was his absolute first card, if that is even possible.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 04-20-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Dan

I recall being in school in 1947 when us kids were comparing the BOND BREAD regular issue (48) cards. So, that timeframe could have been in the
Spring of 1947 (or the Fall of 1947).

As I have mentioned, the Jackie Robinson cards were never marketed in my town (Hillside, NJ); therefore, I cannot provide a timeline for this issue.

TED Z
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Dan,

It might be worth exploring some old newspapers / publications from 1947 to determine whether it was the fall or spring of '47.

I do know that many of the '47 BB set of 44 pictures came from team photo packs from 1947, so it might be worth exploring when those were made available by the teams. I would believe that the cards were distributed after the team photo packs were, since the photo pack images appear to be the source of the BB photos.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Dan,

It might be worth exploring some old newspapers / publications from 1947 to determine whether it was the fall or spring of '47.

I do know that many of the '47 BB set of 44 pictures came from team photo packs from 1947, so it might be worth exploring when those were made available by the teams. I would believe that the cards were distributed after the team photo packs were, since the photo pack images appear to be the source of the BB photos.
Good idea! I will look into that and update you if I discover anything worthwhile.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Dan

I recall being in school in 1947 when us kids were comparing the BOND BREAD regular issue (48) cards. So, that timeframe could have been in the
Spring of 1947 (or the Fall of 1947).

As I have mentioned, the Jackie Robinson cards were never marketed in my town (Hillside, NJ); therefore, I cannot provide a timeline for this issue.

TED Z
I can't believe you cant remember for sure Ted, it was only 70 years ago! So unless someone recalls or has evidence that these cards were issued prior to June, it sounds like maybe the only way to confirm which came first would be to determine the exact date that Jackie signed on with Bond Bread. If it was early in the year it would at least leave the window open for the regular issued set of 48 cards being released in Spring of 1947 (which might make sense with spring training and a new season approaching), whereas, if he signed on closer to mid-year it would exclude the possibility of the release of the 48 card set in the Spring of '47 (unless they were issued at different times throughout the season), and lend support to the white-bordered Bond Bread Promo card being the first issued card (in June).
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hey guys,

I have the 1947 NEW YORK YANKEES team photo pack; and when I get home I'll check it out. My point here is that Joe Gordon
is pictured in a Yankees uniform in the 48 card set.
However, he was traded for Allie Reynolds to the Indians in Oct 1946.

Therefore, this may imply that this set was issued early in 1947.

NEW YORK YANKEES
--------------------
JOE DiMAGGIO
LARRY BERRA
JOE GORDON
CHARLIE KELLER
JOHNNY LINDELL
PHIL RIZZUTO
AARON ROBINSON

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-20-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Dave H@rford

Default Early 1947 thoughts

Along the lines of Ted's thinking, I have always looked at George Birdie Tebbetts as the "swing factor". He appears in his catcher gear, but I believe is wearing his Detroit uniform underneath (as the cursive D sticks out). Birdie was traded by the Detroit Tigers to the Boston Red Sox for Hal Wagner on May 20, 1947. This adds some credence to the "early 1947" release of the 48-card set.

Dave
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Cris T

Default 1947 Bond Bread

Just got these back from SGC and thought I would post. I appreciate the information provided about this set going back 10 years or more on this thread. I also have a bunch of the Hollywood versions of cards ( Jimmy Stewart, Alan Ladd, etc). They have rounded corners but I cannot find as much information on the star cards as the baseball. I appreciate the net54 community and the wealth of knowledge in this forum community.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Cris T

Default 1947 Bond Bread

Trying to figure out photos.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct94122 View Post
Trying to figure out photos.
Through the miracle of modern technology and communication, here are CT's photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3783 copy.jpg (75.6 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3784.jpg (69.0 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3785.jpg (70.8 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3786 copy.jpg (72.4 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3787.jpg (59.2 KB, 528 views)