NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default BST and David Levin's N172 new find

Posted By: J Levine

Leon,
If inappropriate..you know what to do...

If you all have not checked out the BST page in the last day...David Levin has made another large purchase of nice N172s. I do not work for David but would love to have some of his luck!! Unreal!!

Congrats again David.

Joshua

Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

In this case it's ok.....that's the wonderful thing about moderating. I get to make, what I think are intelligent decisions, concerning things like this. Yes, David is a lucky man. I hope to see some of the other N172's, he picked up, at the National....regards

edited to say....btw, maybe David will come on here and tell us any other details ...since they are in hand there are no worries about the deal ..

Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Yes, living in Indianapolis this find makes me sick. To think cards like these were in my town and I had no clue they were here. I hate to think what he paid for them, UGH.......

Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

so go door to door!

Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Levin

The history of the cards is this. The collection belonged to a 93 year old woman who is now in a convalesant home. Her daughter is in her late 50s and it is her husband who contacted me. The grand daughter told me she never even knew her grandfather collected cards. (very similar details to the Oregon find) They started going through her things, there is a ton of old stuff, she must have been a pack rat, anyway, they found this box of cards. The original owner was 12 to 16 years old when he collected based on something written down on a scrapbook. He grew up in Greenville Ill. and then moved to Indiana, which I guess explains why there are so many of the tougher cards from out west. They were still in a small cigar box, and were presented to me that way. I am guessing due to the condition that they spent many years tucked away in this box. These cards have never been circulated in the hobby, it is a fresh group of cards being resold for the first time.

I got a call about three months ago, guy said he had several hundred cards, did not elaborate to much on the details and did not really know the value of them. Unfortunately, I did not get his phone number and he did not call back as he said he would.
Then, last Monday out of the blue, he calls me again and tells me he spoke to me before about these. I had completly forgotten about it, but then he repeated something I said to him so I know he was telling me the truth.

Apparently he was asking around about the cards to find out what he had, and someone referred him back to me. He thought he had some valueble cards based on what some one told him. However, he really had no clue, just the obvious ones maroons and hall of fame guys. He had a davin and some other tough names which of course only the advanced collectors could tell him about, and he did not talk to any of them.
Someone actually offered to pay him $30 to $50 per card?
He still did not mention any of the names of players that he had.
We had a discussion and I gave him a low ball park of what I would pay on the cards.
Later that evening he faxed me a list of the names and teams. After I dusted myself off from falling out of my chair, I asked to see some images.
After that, I called and made what I thought was almost a fair offer. They were impressed with the offer but wanted to think about it. We spoke again the next day, we went back and forth and then a variable was entered into the equasion, a fly in the ointment if you will. The greedy brother. Or maybe they were just working me. Anyway, they said the brother was entitled to half and was talking to friends and figured if I offered X right off the bat they must be worth much more than that. He wanted to show them to some auction house in St. Louis. So, I figured this would be the end of that, so I upped my offer, still no go, and I finally asked them just to tell me what he wanted. It was significantly higher than what I offered, but how could I let this collection go? Anyway, I told them if I agreed to that number and flew out the next day with cash would we have a deal. After some more slight delays they agreed, and I flew out and picked up the deal on an all day four plane trip on Thursday.
So, there were 217 cards, nice lot, thats the story, and I am trying to get them priced as I have a lot of requests from many of you already. I will be at the national with what is left of them.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Dave

Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

What booth will you be at at the National?

Old 07-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"fascinating"

Old 07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Levin

Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

At least the greedy brother didn't get them sent off to an auction house. I was a offered a nice lot of n36s (large A&G Indian cards). The husband and I had agreed on a price for the cards. His wife was just like the brother, thinking that if I am willing to pay this much that someone else will pay more. Sadly, the husband had no backbone and the cards ended up being auctioned off by a no name auction house that specialized in Civil War material. On a somewhat bright note, the cards ended up selling for a few hundered dollars less than I offered.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Wow what a fabulous grouping of cards. Congratulations on a wonderful find. And to those members who have already added some to their collections!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

I will pile on and say, WOW! Good for you David! Those are very impressive and it's so nice to see them in the light of day. I'm not a big 19th century collector but I understand the importance of it.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/