NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2023, 03:08 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Greg Morris - Trimmed Card? Proper Response?

I want the group's opinion on something. My apologies if I am "outing" a card.

There is a 1947 Tip Top Warren Spahn card for sale by Greg Morris Cards on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385399709060

I collect this oddball set and am familiar with this difficult-to-find card. When I first saw the card, I immediately thought, "trimmed." As I compare it to other examples, it looks like it has been trimmed in the past. See the photos below. Specifically, look at the gap between the hat and the top of the card and the creases in the sleeves on the left side of the card.

I contacted Greg Morris with my concerns and suggested they measure the card and potentially list it as trimmed. The response I received was, "This card does not appear to be trimmed. If you win this card and are unhappy with it, we will gladly accept a return."

I could be wrong, and the card not be trimmed, but I believe it is. Does a return policy like this absolve Greg Morris from measuring and potentially listing a card as trimmed if it measures short? My guess is this card will close for over $1k when the bidding is done.

Note: I have had good experiences with Greg Morris Cards in the past and am not trying to disparage them. Per board guidelines, my full name is Jim McKinley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wspan 1.jpg (42.2 KB, 987 views)
File Type: jpg wspan 2.jpg (44.1 KB, 983 views)

Last edited by STL1944; 02-14-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:49 PM

They are one of the best and most above board sellers on eBay. They do a high volume of sales and I can understand their reluctance to measure an individual card per your request. Basically they are guaranteeing your satisfaction.

I believe their response was reasonable and I would not have an issue with that response.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:02 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1944 View Post
I want the group's opinion on something. My apologies if I am "outing" a card.

There is a 1947 Tip Top Warren Spahn card for sale by Greg Morris Cards on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385399709060

I collect this oddball set and am familiar with this difficult-to-find card. When I first saw the card, I immediately thought, "trimmed." As I compare it to other examples, it looks like it has been trimmed in the past. See the photos below. Specifically, look at the gap between the hat and the top of the card and the creases in the sleeves on the left side of the card.

I contacted Greg Morris with my concerns and suggested they measure the card and potentially list it as trimmed. The response I received was, "This card does not appear to be trimmed. If you win this card and are unhappy with it, we will gladly accept a return."

I could be wrong, and the card not be trimmed, but I believe it is. Does a return policy like this absolve Greg Morris from measuring and potentially listing a card as trimmed if it measures short? My guess is this card will close for over $1k when the bidding is done.

Note: I have had good experiences with Greg Morris Cards in the past and am not trying to disparage them. Per board guidelines, my full name is Jim McKinley.
First, I think your control card scan is a larger scan than the one Greg has listed. I do not know the issue at all but even if the card is smaller it does not mean it is trimmed. I have bought raw cards that sized perfectly that ended up being trimmed. And lastly, they feel it is not trimmed and are willing to guarantee that. I would say that is a top notch seller.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
They are one of the best and most above board sellers on eBay. They do a high volume of sales and I can understand their reluctance to measure an individual card per your request. Basically they are guaranteeing your satisfaction.

I believe their response was reasonable and I would not have an issue with that response.
+1 agree

Great experience with them and the fact they are willing to take a return if you are not happy let’s you personally examine it without risk

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-14-2023, 05:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The card is almost certainly trimmed. The top border hitting his hat looks extremely suspicious.

I am not surprised at all they just stated it’s fine and won’t list it properly.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Sorry, that is NOT a good response. Everyone knows Greg Morris is a fine seller, and the parade of people saying so (including myself) will go on unabated, but come on!

We're talking about a very valuable/expensive card, and the OP is looking for a bare minimum assurance that the card is not trimmed, and the reply is to send it back if you're not happy?? You can send anything back for a refund these days. That is a non-answer. What kind of customer service is that? It is obviously way short both ways, which could be natural, of course, but how about at least trying to ease your potential customer's (of a big ticket item, mind you) fears? That's not worth a quick re-look??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:30 PM
Ben North

All long as a full refund is offered and your name isn't Will all is cool.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:36 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I've personally bought a "NM" card from GM with a pinhole in it and was about to buy another card the other month that had a crease in it marked Ex-Exmint. Which I contacted them about and they confirmed it was indeed a crease. Although the auction went on and nothing was mentioned of it. Which isn't great..

However I've also had a good number of positive experiences with them.

Probably 2/20 experiences ive had a pretty severe condition issue that was missed. Not the best but also a possible statistical anomaly/just bad luck

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 02-14-2023, 06:25 PM
Fred

Jim,

Did you request the card measurements from the seller?

Can you do the same analysis for the back? That may provide an interesting contrast to the front comparison because of the writing on the back may show a significant difference the front doesn't show clearly.

Just my humble opinion - If there's any doubt, especially on a card that's not just a $10 card, then you would think a better examination of the card would be in order by the seller.

One thing for sure is that the seller does a HIGH VOLUME of sales so it's understood that they don't measure every card, but in a case like this, they might take it into consideration and save a buyer (and themselves) the headache of a possible return.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:36 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Hate to invoke something this controversial

Isn't this an example where the eBay authenticity guarantee will kick in?

Unless I'm off the mark, I think CSG will be taking a look at the card before it goes to the buyer, and if it's trimmed but not labeled as trimmed in the eBay listing, then I suspect that CSG will reject it.

Of course, some will say that they knew it was trimmed, but wanted it anyway, and therefore will blame the eBay AG for getting in the way of their deal.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-14-2023, 06:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Isn't this an example where the eBay authenticity guarantee will kick in?

Unless I'm off the mark, I think CSG will be taking a look at the card before it goes to the buyer, and if it's trimmed but not labeled as trimmed in the eBay listing, then I suspect that CSG will reject it.

Of course, some will say that they knew it was trimmed, but wanted it anyway, and therefore will blame the eBay AG for getting in the way of their deal.
It is, if CSG catches the trimming. The graders have a long history of spotting obvious trimming correctly, so I’m sure they will indeed and all will be well.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Before and after, best I could do quickly...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:35 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
One thing for sure is that the seller does a HIGH VOLUME of sales so it's understood that they don't measure every card, but in a case like this, they might take it into consideration and save a buyer (and themselves) the headache of a possible return.
Actually that is not true. Unless something has changed, they scan every card once it makes it past a human grader and while being scanned it measures the card with cards measuring too small being rejected and not listed.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:05 PM
Bry@n

I agree that the missing space on the top looks a bit suspicious. If you look at the folds in the jersey on the left side, there is also a large slice of the image missing there. These lead me to believe that this card is trimmed, or at least was factory cut at a smaller size, as I do not see larger borders on the bottom or right that compensate for the missing image on the left and top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The card is almost certainly trimmed. The top border hitting his hat looks extremely suspicious.

I am not surprised at all they just stated it’s fine and won’t list it properly.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:17 PM
Br1an N0Iff

My personal viewpoint is that Greg Morris auctions lately have been missing the mark. Cards being over graded, quality control lacking, these things never occurred until recently. Also don’t like his grading scale listing cards as EX to EX MT. Big difference between EX and EX-MT. He’s been at this long enough now to know the difference. Just because you do the right thing on return’s doesn’t give someone a pass for mistakes that shouldn’t be happening.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1944 View Post

I don't know anything about these cards, so I don't know if size / photo cropping differences are normal, but I'm not sure how much more a seller can do.

Doug
Old 02-14-2023, 10:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I don't know anything about these cards, so I don't know if size / photo cropping differences are normal, but I'm not sure how much more a seller can do.

Doug
They could update the listing to note the card is altered and trimmed.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:13 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
They could update the listing to note the card is altered and trimmed.
Except that their opinion is "this card does not appear to be trimmed".

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-14-2023 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Except that their opinion is that "this card does not appear to be trimmed".
Their opinion appears to be contrary to the obvious.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:59 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Actually that is not true. Unless something has changed, they scan every card once it makes it past a human grader and while being scanned it measures the card with cards measuring too small being rejected and not listed.
Perhaps something has changed and/or there are PSA graders that are moonlighting by working for the seller.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:05 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Perhaps something has changed and/or there are PSA graders that are moonlighting by working for the seller.
No company deserves to have PSA graders working for them.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:02 AM
Drew W@i$e

Unfortunately, GM doesn’t care.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:58 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Unfortunately, GM doesn’t care.
At this point does anyone care? Why does every card have to be graded? That's all we hear what grade will it grade will it grade...crap just buy it and keep it raw or if you think it's trimmed don't buy it! Why do so many people need vindications from the TPG's? Let it go.

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-15-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:48 AM
Joe Hunter

Jim: Essentially, the seller of the card doesn't think it is trimmed, but you have provided evidence that there is a chance that it is. I would just move on if the possibility of owning a trimmed card is not your thing. I don't think Greg's response was bad; hopefully, he was just being honest in his assessment, right or wrong.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:28 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Before and after, best I could do quickly...

Ugh. There is a lot of that card missing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
At this point does anyone care? Why does every card have to be graded? That's all we hear what grade will it grade will it grade...crap just buy it and keep it raw or if you think it's trimmed don't buy it! Why doe so many people need vindications from the TPG's? Let it go.
Amen. Same goes for autographs, or any other pastime that requires detailed knowledge in order to wade through its perils somewhat safely. If you are unwilling or unable to put in the work to become your own primary reference guide, go catch butterflies.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-15-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:01 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

While I believe GM offers a great opportunity to those collecting raw cards or buying raw cards to be graded (think dollars) and I have bought from them multiple times, they do miss the grading mark from time to time.

Many might remember last year when I purchased a '49 Bowman Spahn GM graded exmt but was rejected by Ebay, under their authentication program, as not being fit for such a grade. Ebay was correct and I was refunded the purchase price.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm definitely sympathetic to a seller moving a significant bulk of cards every month like GM. I am sure there is no shortage of emails coming in the door that something is suspected by someone of being trimmed or worse. If you are selling raw cards I think its buyer beware, and if you don't like the look of something steer clear. I don't think a seller needs to engage with the buying community en masse everytime someone raises an issue about something. Many times even on this board, with people as knowlgeable as they are, there is substantial good faith disageement as to what is trimmed, authentic, etc.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-15-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:12 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I have also noticed a number of his raw t206 listings that are clearly trimmed but do not indicate it. I take it as a good sign when sellers are upfront about that, as many here do on the bst when selling trimmed cards.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-15-2023, 12:41 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I have also noticed a number of his raw t206 listings that are clearly trimmed but do not indicate it. I take it as a good sign when sellers are upfront about that, as many here do on the bst when selling trimmed cards.
+1
Old 02-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
While I believe GM offers a great opportunity to those collecting raw cards or buying raw cards to be graded (think dollars) and I have bought from them multiple times, they do miss the grading mark from time to time.

Many might remember last year when I purchased a '49 Bowman Spahn GM graded exmt but was rejected by Ebay, under their authentication program, as not being fit for such a grade. Ebay was correct and I was refunded the purchase price.
Yes, I remember that. That was a hoot.

You were cussing out ebay, all the TPGs and GM besides, and then as it turned out, funds had been refunded and were sitting in your bank account.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gorditadogg; 02-15-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

There's no way this auto is good right?!?

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 02-15-2023, 02:51 PM
Michael S

I don't know if the volume GM is dealing with is affecting service, but I'm more careful in purchasing from them on ebay. I won multiple lots in one night and waited for an invoice with combined shipping. After a couple of days, I sent a message requesting an updated invoice. No reply from GM. Ebay then begins sending me messages to pay by a certain date, or loose the items. I again send a request to GM. Still no reply. I finally paid on the day ebay said I'd loose items. I overpaid shipping and never received a refund.

Michael Spellmon
Old 02-15-2023, 09:18 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Their opinion appears to be contrary to the obvious.
I don't disagree, but as I said in an earlier post, I don't know anything about these cards, so I don't know if size / photo cropping differences are normal.

What I do know is that offering a refund to an unhappy buyer seems to me like a good deal for the buyer. If they think there is a chance that the card is not trimmed, they can get it in hand, decide for themselves, and then return if they need to.

If they think there is no chance that the card isn't trimmed, then they shouldn't buy it from him to begin with, but if they do, they can then return it if they decide that they were right all along.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I don't disagree, but as I said in an earlier post, I don't know anything about these cards, so I don't know if size / photo cropping differences are normal.

What I do know is that offering a refund to an unhappy buyer seems to me like a good deal for the buyer. If they think there is a chance that the card is not trimmed, they can get it in hand, decide for themselves, and then return if they need to.

If they think there is no chance that the card isn't trimmed, then they shouldn't buy it from him to begin with, but if they do, they can then return it if they decide that they were right all along.
The card is significantly short beyond natural variance, in both directions. That should be disclosed.

You said you didn’t know what more they could do. What they could do is list it honestly after being informed.

I don’t think it’s okay to list an altered card without noting it, but refunding the buyer if they catch it and ask for one because you didn’t disclose the truth, just like Jaimet. The Will Jaimet standard is not a good one and nobody could really defend it.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:25 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
The card is significantly short beyond natural variance, in both directions. That should be disclosed.

You said you didn’t know what more they could do. What they could do is list it honestly after being informed.

I don’t think it’s okay to list an altered card without noting it, but refunding the buyer if they catch it and ask for one because you didn’t disclose the truth, just like Jaimet. The Will Jaimet standard is not a good one and nobody could really defend it.
The seller, who I assume has the card in hand, doesn't think it's trimmed.

There are a number of people who think it is trimmed based on the picture, which were posted by the seller.

In my opinion, Will Jaimet is not a valid analogy to the seller.

This will be my final post on this thread, because you and I are having a conversation similar to those had on the death penalty or abortion or whether Trump was/is an asshole, neither of us is "wrong".

I respect your opinion (far more than those of the opinion sellers), and hope that you use that opinion to not purchase the card.

Best regards,
Doug "I wish I was trimmed" Goodman
Old 02-15-2023, 11:39 PM
Chase

I think after reading some of the threads on the other forum about Will Jaimet, the comparison to Greg Morris and this 47 Spahn is highly invalid but I do get the point Greg was trying to make.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:09 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsearcher60 View Post
I don't know if the volume GM is dealing with is affecting service, but I'm more careful in purchasing from them on ebay. I won multiple lots in one night and waited for an invoice with combined shipping. After a couple of days, I sent a message requesting an updated invoice. No reply from GM. Ebay then begins sending me messages to pay by a certain date, or loose the items. I again send a request to GM. Still no reply. I finally paid on the day ebay said I'd loose items. I overpaid shipping and never received a refund.

Michael Spellmon
I had a similar experience.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:50 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsearcher60 View Post

Michael Spellmon

That's wild. I've bought probably at leat a thousand cards from GM over the years, as I'm a set collector and they do a lot of set breaks. I'm my experience they're the best at combining shipping fees of any seller on ebay. Always consistent, always prompt. They are, in my opinion, hands down, the best seller on ebay for cards.

That said, as someone mentioned above, their grading has gotten noticeably worse over the past 3 months or so. They have a hiring req currently posted for new graders on their website. It seems like their best grader/s must have recently gotten poached by one of the TPGs. But they do offer a no questions asked return policy. It doesn't get much better than that as a buyer on ebay.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:06 AM

While it's understood that grading cards is subjective, being a consistently decent grader of raw cards shouldn't be that difficult, aside from detecting any well-done alterations. Simply assign each card one rung down on the scale from where you feel it truly stands (or half a rung). Be conservative and your customers will love you.

I picked up some cards sight unseen a couple of weeks ago. A few of them were listed as VG, others EX. Imagine my utter shock when I received what I felt were NM (the VG) and MT (the EX)! I wrote to thank the seller for being so incredibly conservative in their grading. Being as careful as that particular seller was is not expected, nor does it make any sense, but it certainly made up for all the overgrading that gets done on sportlots. They were pretty valueless cards, but were needed for a purpose, so a gorgeous card is a gorgeous card regardless!

Not a big fan of "[grade] or Better" in anyone's listings. It's too ambiguous. "Well, it might grade this, or it might grade that!" Just leave the "or Better" out of the title. Informed buyers can interpret things for themselves. "or Better" may only lead to providing false hopes to less educated customers who submit to TPAs and it turns out to be "or Worse". I'm certainly not calling any seller out for overgrading by saying any of the above, nor is any of this directed specifically at Greg Morris Cards.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-16-2023 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:14 AM
Chris Eberhart

I had the same combined shipping experience a couple weeks ago. Made multiple requests for combined. Ended up paying one to avoid cancellation and noted it in the comments. Never received a reply.

Have another situation happening today…. An invoice that should be good until Saturday that needs payment by today or I lose it. Have sent multiple requests to extend and the response isn’t one that makes me comfortable. Will end up paying it today to avoid the cancellation.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:32 AM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that your bids won't be cancelled with Greg Morris if they go past the claimed eBay deadline. I realize that Greg Morris wants customers to pay up within X number of days, but I believe I once had it confirmed by someone on Morris' end that the sales won't be automatically cancelled by eBay if not paid up when eBay wants you to. There's an "automatic sale cancellation" setting for sellers that can be turned off or on at a seller's discretion, and they do not utilize this feature. Any missives you receive from eBay are just empty threats because eBay wants your money. Unless Greg Morris has changed the way they do things, just ignore eBay's messages until the time that someone on Morris' end can combine your shipping as they constantly advertise.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-16-2023 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:33 AM
G0rdon Warr.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
I had the same combined shipping experience a couple weeks ago. Made multiple requests for combined. Ended up paying one to avoid cancellation and noted it in the comments. Never received a reply.

Have another situation happening today…. An invoice that should be good until Saturday that needs payment by today or I lose it. Have sent multiple requests to extend and the response isn’t one that makes me comfortable. Will end up paying it today to avoid the cancellation.
I hope you leave GM at least neutral feedback, possibly negative feedback for the non-response.

The feedback rating is the only avenue we have for effecting change.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2023, 06:48 AM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartygw View Post
I hope you leave GM at least neutral feedback, possibly negative feedback for the non-response.

The feedback rating is the only avenue we have for effecting change.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
Absolutely not going to do that.

A couple combined shipping miscues are not even close to neutral territory let alone negative.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:50 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

There's not a real competitor on eBay for the volume of popular cards they offer ungraded, so they attract a disproportionately large number of eyeballs and bids. They systematically get about 25% more for the same raw card in the same condition than I or any other relatively small-time seller gets, so they're great for finding the exact card you're looking for, but you'll consistently pay a bit over typical auction value for any cards you do win from them.

It's pretty clear the Spahn is trimmed, and this just seems like willful ignorance on their part to not see it. Great card otherwise, but I'm guessing they're going to get more than what the card will eventually sell for in an "Auth" slab.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:26 AM
Jim McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Jim: Essentially, the seller of the card doesn't think it is trimmed, but you have provided evidence that there is a chance that it is. I would just move on if the possibility of owning a trimmed card is not your thing. I don't think Greg's response was bad; hopefully, he was just being honest in his assessment, right or wrong.

After looking at the card, I was not planning on bidding on it. I was more concerned about the community and someone spending over $1k for a trimmed card.

I have and will continue to buy cards from GM, however, I will be much more "buyer beware" in the future.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:56 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
If you are unwilling or unable to put in the work to become your own primary reference guide, go catch butterflies.
Love this.
My credo.

Personal statement;
I don't need a grading service/authenticator; to tell me something, I should already know. Part of my passion for my hobby.
Raw, Rules!

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 02-16-2023, 09:22 AM

When I was a younger man and had yet to make the acquaintance of many other (autograph) collectors, it was my ignorant assumption that anyone could become as learned in the hobby as they wished, provided they put in the time and effort. The "10,000 hours" concept had yet to become a thing or gain mainstream popularity. Going down life's road a piece, I was to learn that there are some collectors who have spent the better portions of their long lives immersed in the hobby--and they still can't buy basic clues! It turns out that the 10,000 Hour Rule does not apply to any facet of sportscard/autograph/memorabilia collecting. It would only be of assistance if a person possesses an innate aptitude for it. You either have it or you don't.

Frankly, the 10,000 Hour Rule is hogwash. I've spent far more than 10,000 hours playing the piano. Am I a more skilled player than most people in the world? Probably, but most people on the planet don't spend that many hours playing the piano. I will always be far inferior to any professionals. I could never make a living at it, and even another 10,000 hours could do nothing to change that. My natural aptitude only allows me to get so far.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-16-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:39 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
When I was a younger man and had yet to make the acquaintance of many other (autograph) collectors, it was my ignorant assumption that anyone could become as learned in the hobby as they wished, provided they put in the time and effort. The "10,000 hours" concept had yet to become a thing or gain mainstream popularity. Going down life's road a piece, I was to learn that there are some collectors who have spent the better portions of their long lives immersed in the hobby--and they still can't buy basic clues! It turns out that the 10,000 Hour Rule does not apply to any facet of sportscard/autograph/memorabilia collecting. It would only be of assistance if a person possesses an innate aptitude for it. You either have it or you don't.

Frankly, the 10,000 Hour Rule is hogwash. I've spent far more than 10,000 hours playing the piano. Am I a more skilled player than most people in the world? Probably, but most people on the planet don't spend that many hours playing the piano. I will always be far inferior to any professionals. I could never make a living at it, and even another 10,000 hours could do nothing to change that. My natural aptitude only allows me to get so far.
You described the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:48 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I think after reading some of the threads on the other forum about Will Jaimet, the comparison to Greg Morris and this 47 Spahn is highly invalid but I do get the point Greg was trying to make.
The proposed idea, that there is nothing a seller should do beyond refunding a buyer if they catch the alteration and complain while very specifically rejecting the notion the seller should disclose the alteration in the listing, is 100% the same as Jaimet's claimed policy that was resoundingly mocked.

Obviously other aspects of the cases are completely different and have never been claimed to be the same (GM lists altered cards without disclosure but there is no reason to think they alter them themselves or anything), but this proposed policy to defend Morris declining to ID altered cards after being informed is exactly the same, as claimed.