NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Building the '75 set. I'd love some advice, please

Hey gang,

Some of you known I started building the 1975 Topps set from a few of the cards I shared in our monthly pick up threads. Well, after a short break, I'm back to working on it exclusively for the next couple of months, and I'd like to put a nice dent into it. I'm holding off on making any major purchases until after the start of the new year. I'm very close to my savings goal, and the sooner I hit it, and a little cushion above it, the sooner I can really go nuts buying cards. And I am going to go nuts.

What I would love is some input from our set builders. The last time I hand collated a set was back in the 80s. Then, I wasn't nearly the perfectionist I am now. By the time I am done, all 660 cards, without exception, will either be PSA 8 or higher, or the ungraded equivalent. And I am very picky when it comes to eye appeal. I want cards with outstanding centering. I am a little more forgiving on top to bottom centering, though it should still be quite at least 60/40. The left to right centering needs to be exceptional. I'm talking approximately 55/45 or better. The cards all need to have clean edges, sharp corners, and clean surfaces. No gum stains (including the back), no obvious soiling from handling, no nothing. And no print flaws that jump out. If there are really small ones, that's ok. Some print flaws are real eye sores.

Here's my Robin Yount "place holder".

It's a really nice card, and I think most set builders would take this, and not look back. The left to right centering is ideal. It's a bit off top to bottom, but it's not an eyesore. The edges, while not as bad as the black borders on the '71 set, show flaws quite easily against a black background. This card has outstanding edges. It fails me in two spots. There's an imperfection in the upper right hand corner. It looks like somebody took the world's smallest pin, and just dinged the surface right below the corner. And then there's a print flaw in the "S" of Brewers. So, I will upgrade this card. I might go nuts and get a 9 since I'm a Robin Yount Super Freak, but an 8.5 would be acceptable, too.

So, how do you set builders keep costs down? I can start a thread on the BST, and will. I check it every day, too, and I'm not seeing a whole lot for this set. That's ok. I'm in no rush. This is going to be fun, so if it takes me 2 years, no problem. I like COMC.com, which is excellent when I need a Bowman Chrome prospect auto. But those cards are much more durable, and when I look at scans on their site, the top loader/penny sleeve combo really impedes my getting a good look at the corners.

Are there any other sites besides Ebay and this one I should be looking at?

Also, what is the best site for graded 70s cards? I've purchased some really nice cards from 4 Sharp Corners. Other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you, everybody.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 10-20-2014 at 09:51 AM.