NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Removing Paper from Ticket Glued(I mean taped) in Scrapbook

I know on the other side members have had success soaking old cards, T206's, and removing the paper from the back.

This here is from 1967, so the glue might be a little better.

Has anyone tried removing the scrapbook paper off the back of a Ticket? and a more modern one at that.

Also, while most people soak, would heating work? Say using a blow-dryer getting the glue hot enough where it become liquidy? Or not a chance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2564 (4).jpg (77.1 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2563 (1).jpg (78.3 KB, 401 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-23-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 PM

Your chances of getting that off without professional help are VERY small. You will probably ruin the ticket if you try, most glue after WW2 is not water soluble and by the late 1960's you are pretty much screwed. Besides that, it actually looks like two strips of tape to me which is even worse.

Last edited by prewarsports; 11-20-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Paul,

Yes a hairdryer could work if it is tape as Rhys suggests. I have done it multiple times with third party opionaters stickers. Using a pair of tweezers with a pointed tip, medical style with a slightly rounded tip or Clauss with a more needle point like a #3C, you can remove tape. Heat it to soften and use the tweezers to GENTLY pull up. If there is resistance the adhesive is not soft enough, but if it is soft you will be able to pull it up. It will not remove all of the adhesive, which has most likely been absorbed somewhat into the porous paper, but you will be able to see the back. This method has also worked well on SI Covers with certain adhesives, mainly 1970's-1980's.

Would I do it on that ticket. Probably if I determined it was tape. If it was glue I would see what excess paper can be removed without damaging the ticket.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Thanks for the replies, I will give it a shot over the weekend.

Good call on the tape Rhys, that's what it appears to be.

I know it may not go perfectly, but as long as the front doesn't get damaged that's the main thing, I don't mind it showing some tape, or even very minimal paper loss as long as I can get that scrapbook paper removed or most of it.

Thanks Mike I'll post how it turns out, Good, Bad or Ugly.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Belltown Vintage

Looking forward to seeing the results of Michael's suggestion.

Good eye Rhys!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default this works most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I know on the other side members have had success soaking old cards, T206's, and removing the paper from the back.

This here is from 1967, so the glue might be a little better.

Has anyone tried removing the scrapbook paper off the back of a Ticket? and a more modern one at that.

Also, while most people soak, would heating work? Say using a blow-dryer getting the glue hot enough where it become liquidy? Or not a chance?
I run into this problem all the time , DO NOT STEAM OR SOAK IN WATER
they will curl up like a banana and be ruined , what I do is lightly scrape away at the top surface of the scrapbook paper at an angle with a razor blade or very sharp thin bladed knife , a lot of the time little chunks paper will just peel off , do not dig in to the paper , I have done this numerous times with excellent results , with hardly any visible scrapbook paper left, and only minimal scuffing of the ticket and marginal if any paper loss.
practice on an unimportant ticket first if you have one , I have it down to a science with a 9 out of 10 success rate

Last edited by megalimey; 11-21-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Actually, you can soak items if you do it properly. First and foremost you need DISTILLED water, not tap water. It can be purchased by the gallon at Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens and probably Target for $2.00 or so. After soaking let it drip dry a bit (less than a minute) then place in between two sheets of blotter paper. You can probably find it at an art supply store. It is also used by photographers who still use darkrooms like yours truly. It is a way to carry photos that have not completely dried when you need to take them with you. In a pinch you can also use good absorbent paper towels. To prevent curling you need to place the item between the blotter paper or paper towels and then two pieces of cardstock. Not cardboard, but the cardstock that is on the back of a pad of paper. You then place this between two heavy flat items. It will dry out and not curl. The cardstock will also help absorb the moisture. You can check the item and replace the blotter paper/paper towels during drying. Rather than two heavy items I use a book press. Think Uncle Fester in the Addams Family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (11.6 KB, 336 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

How's this for before and after... (I'll take a better pix tomorrow in the daylight and flip flop it in)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2564 (4).jpg (77.1 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2565.jpg (74.1 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-21-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Nice work!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
How's this for before and after... (I'll take a better pix tomorrow in the daylight and flip flop it in)
Good job, Paul.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default any staining

Quote:
what method did you use and was there any staining due to moisture contact ?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Thanks all, got fairly lucky. Used the blow dryer, heat, and they slowly pulled paper offer.

Wasn't clean and easy. And obviously from the pix its far from clean, but just having that paper off is much better to me anyway.

No staining I can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2566.jpg (76.6 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2567.jpg (77.1 KB, 276 views)
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I just noticed that pix above is really blown up so you can see every spec of dirt and glue and paper......to the naked eye the actual stub is much smaller(like shown below), so you don't see all magnified like above. Actually I guess you do, eh...it is what it is. Still like it better then all that paper on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg save3.jpg (12.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg save2.jpg (10.3 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg save4.jpg (11.0 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Nice job Paul. Looks good. I've always been afraid to try this myself but might give it a shot one of these days.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Wait......which Dewey is this?

Just kidn. All good, thanks!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Nice job, got to be a win...
Old 11-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Definitely a success story Paul. Glad to learn about the hairdryer method - it would have helped me in the past.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default how was it stuck down ?

Quote:
I just noticed that pix above is really blown up so you can see every spec of dirt and glue and paper......to the naked eye the actual stub is much smaller(like shown below), so you don't see all magnified like above. Actually I guess you do, eh...it is what it is. Still like it better then all that paper on the back.
how was it stuck down ? it looks like there are tape marks
normally the tickets are just glued directly to scrapbook page , soaking and or heat does not seem to work with those .
Old 11-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

No glue here looks like it was some double-sided tape from 1967, as Michael stated the tape just seeped into the paper over the years, so don't think I'm getting that off.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Ben L

I know this is an older thread but am wondering if people have done the same but with a ticket from the 1920s. Scrapbook residue glued to the back. Any input is appreciated!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 View Post
I know this is an older thread but am wondering if people have done the same but with a ticket from the 1920s. Scrapbook residue glued to the back. Any input is appreciated!
Ben,

If you read my reply regarding the use of distilled water you will get your answer. The older glues were generally made with animal products. The expressing 'sending the horse to the glue factory' is actually true. Most of the older glues tend to dissolve quite easily.

I just used that method on some 1932 Olympic programs. They were attached to scrapbook pages using hole reinforcers. For those of us not old enough to remember they are the little white rings you could stick to your notebook paper when the holes were torn. These were used to affix the programs to the scrapbook pages. I was able to remove the programs from the pages, but the reinforcers were still stuck to the program. Using distilled water and q-tips I removed them. I wet the q-tip and rubbed it on the reinforcer to soak it. They pulled right off with no damage and the water dried quick enough so there was no wrinkling to the program.

I have also used this method to remove other items from scrapbooks - steamer trunk stickers, stamps and the such.

On the card side they discuss soaking cards and the such. Plain water can damage the inks as it can contain chlorine and other minerals. Please remember DISTILLED water.

Last edited by Michael B; 09-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:16 AM

Default Lighter Fluid

Not sure how it would work on adhesive that's been on a long time like a scrap book...but many years ago an antiques dealer who was retired from 3M told me about using lighter fluid to remove tape and glue from antiques and paper...works very well for me...there is little to no controlling where it goes when you squirt a little on...but when it dries it's invisible...I use Ronsonol...comes in a yellow plastic bottle…lots of stores carry it...I think even grocery stores...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-12-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 View Post
Ben,
Distilled room temperature water and a bit of time is the answer with vintage glue, pre 1950.
Any specific questions?
E-mail me directly please.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Ben L

Thank you gentlemen for the detailed answer(s). Sounds like trying distilled water is the way to go. Many thanks!