NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Yankees Cory Lidle Apparently Killed in Crash

Posted By: barrysloate

At 2:30 this afternoon a private plane crashed into a building on East 72nd Street in NYC. It appears that Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle was the pilot and was killed in the crash. As a sidenote, Bruce Dorskind lives across the street from the accident. News is coming in by the minute.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and my window on the 34th floor faces northeast, so I have been seeing quite a few helicopters in the area and hearing lots of fire and police emergency vehicles driving by. It was a little unsettling and conjurs memories of both 9/11 and Thurman Munson.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

Yes, it is true, and at least three other people died in crash, which blew out at least two apartments at 40th floor, sad

Old 10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i didn't think you could fly (small)aircraft in this area? (over NYC)

Old 10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Same thing... I'm here on the 40th floor of the AXE building on 51st and 6th. I could see the smoke and helicopters over the site right around 3pm. Sad news.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

That's a good point that was brought up by Governor Pataki. The plane left Teterboro airport in New Jersey, circled the Statue of Liberty (that too should have been a no fly zone) and headed north up the East River. It lost control about 59th Street, started to veer to the left and crashed on 72nd Street. Sotheby's is also around the corner from the accident.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Lidle was on WFAN in NY with Mike and the Mad Dog the other day. They grilled him about some comment he made after the playoff loss. Lidle had actually called them up to rebut something they'd said about him. Guess that is one interview they may not be so proud of now...

Old 10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

A little morbid but...I just went to look up Lidle's stats and bio on Baseball-Reference.com and they already have his date of death in the bio....

Rob M.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I too have a view out of my office near 33rd Street in midtown and saw all the commotion. First, we worried about the possibility of terrorism, then we heard about Lidle. This is indeed a very sad day.....

Old 10-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

husband of a friend of a friend plowed his plane into a building. What a sad, stupid way to go...

Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

This was a crazy day in NYC. I was driving back into Manhattan from court in Connecticut today and instead of listening to the news I had on a Clash CD - only to get a barrage of text messages, emails, etc. that there was a plane crash near my apt. I turned on the radio to hear that the crash had occurred 2 blocks away. For about 15 seconds I was dreading the worst and feeling awful because we are moving on Monday morning to a new place. Needless to say, it's a zoo here (again) but on the 9/11 scale if that was a 10, this is about one tenth of 1 point.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Aug 1979.....Thurman Munson's training jet crashes with his trainer besides him.

Today Cory Lidle's training plane crashes with his trainer besides him.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Administrator

There are eerie similarities for sure. Yankee fans hardly knew Lidle, as he was with them for just a little more than a month. But it seems like he was a fun loving guy, and it is just very sad when you hear he had a six year old son. What I want to know, and others I'm sure feel this way too, is how did he get into this air space? Apparently he was taking a flying lesson and sight seeing at the same time. Who takes a flying lesson through a congested area like Manhattan, not to mention in the bad weather we are having today? That just doesn't make sense. It seems like this tragedy should have been avoided.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Barry,
you are absolutely right. I thought all of NYC airspace was restricted. What prevents someone from taking a turn into the UN building? The more I thought about this, the more confused (and sadder) I became. Definitely thought about Thurman today....

Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

If theres anything good to come out of this its the good people of ebay that couldnt sell a Lidle baseball last week for $7 are now able to sell them for between $150-250 and his rookie cards are now worth over 100x more than this morning. All 500+ new Lidle items on ebay(compared to less than 100 the last month total) will help people sleep better at night knowing they have more money thanks to this tragedy.If only more celebs could have untimely deaths ebay would be crawling with millionaires

wow i think i just used up all my sarcasm for a few weeks.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

This is truly, truly sad for me having met Cory a couple times.
He was always cordial and a normal guy.

When his name was announced to the media, there were six items on eBay, one autograph. Now there are over 400+ and over 100 autographs, most of the signatures offered, the ink is fresh if you know what I mean. Truly sad. Some baseballs are selling for as much as $250 and it's simply sickening.

Very sad day...

DJ

Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

why didnt he use his parachute, he was equipped. Also, I wonder
if his passenger had a parachute as well. I guess he wouldnt of jumped and leave the passenger alone if not equipped too.

Very odd and sad.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

I'm surprised I haven't heard more theories leaning towards this being a suicide type of thing. It's such a strange incident.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

The passenger is reported to be a flight instructor. This is a truly sad and bizzare incident.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Administrator

It doesn't surprise me that ebay is flooded with Lidle items. There are always people who will try to profit on tragedies. Remember when ebay had to ban the sale of 9/11 mementoes shortly after the attacks?

Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Administrator

The plane was outfitted with a parachute, not the pilots. If plane is out of control you can eject parachute which will land plane safely. In such circumstances plane is total loss, at least according to expert I saw on Oberman show. Lidel had just laid out near 200K for this baby, which could have led to a momentary pause before taking action. Since distress signal went out almost as plane was crashing, it is a moment they did not have...

It is bizarre that plane turned west over Manhattan. If he is flying north over East River and plane was in trouble, you would stay over the river and keep heading north then veer east to hit LaGuardia or that other airfield up there. Why turn in over Manhattan when you have the river beneath you? Unless they made the turn first and then something dramatic went wrong.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

How re-assuring that despite what happened five short years ago, random aircraft are allowed to fly around populated areas without detection. Just another sad example of kneejerk reactions (e.g. not allowing toothpaste on airplanes), when the bigger problems remain unaddressesd. Had their been proper detection (for "national security" issues or otherwise), this tragedy could have potentially been prevented.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

From what I heard Lidle's plane flew around the Statue of Liberty, and as I recall one of the changes made after the 9/11 attacks was that private planes couldn't go anywhere near national monuments. From yesterday's incident it does seem that a terrorist could fly a small plane with a dirty bomb directly into a Manhattan building. Corey Lidle tragically proved this to be true. Who is watching our safety?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Good question. I think the folks in D.C. are more concerned with polls than they are with truly protecting their constituency. Sad.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

barry...i just spoke to my aunt who lives in staten island and she said she sees little planes flying around the SOL all of the time...for tourists kinda like the circle line of the sky! I would have thought that should/would have been restricted as well.

pete in mn