NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Mark

Default Raynors' auction item not Honus

This pinback is currently up here (lot# 610):

http://www.hcaauctions.com/Rare-Honu...-LOT37469.aspx

The description says:
Very rare Honus Wagner pinback, c. 1898-9, 1” diameter, with great sepia-toned image of a very young Wagner at center.

I know I've seen this before but I don't remember where.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86610_lg c.jpg (69.3 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-17-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Mark

Below left is the image from the pinback, below right is Honus from the 1903 Breisch-Williams card. Da.veGr.ob has suggested use of a grid, and I think this is a good application for it. It makes the difference in ear size and shape very obvious (outlined in red). That’s enough, but it’s useful to point out a few more things.

The grid also makes it easy to compare hairlines (blue rectangles). It’s easy to see how far back the hair goes at the part. The hairline for the guy on the pinback is noticeably farther back. The grid also makes Honus’s wider jaw (on the lower left) very evident. We don’t need the grid to see that the pinback guy had a somewhat turned up nose while Wagner had an bulbous nose tip that was not at all turned up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wag.jpg (72.6 KB, 287 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Well done. Hopefully it will save someone some $.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Barry Arnold

Default honus....huh

great work, as always, Mark.
I must say that this comparison wasn't even close. Looks more like my neighbor than Honus.
I'm glad you are on the watch for us.

all the best,
barry
Old 10-17-2014, 09:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks much more like Ryan Gosling than Wags
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I like the grid, it helps you focus on one feature at a time, great job as always.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 10-18-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:08 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Nice work.
Did you happen to use the grid on either of the other controversial photos that have been discussed recently?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Nice work.
Did you happen to use the grid on either of the other controversial photos that have been discussed recently?
For "Comiskey" I did not. After you scale the faces, the ear sizes are about the same. The shape is so different and the viewing angle is nearly identical - I thought that would be easy enough to see. The image quality is not good, so the only other thing I could see is the nose, which appears to be very different from Comiskey's somewhat pointy turned-up nose. I didn't know if a grid would help to see that.

The grid could have been used for "Radbourn" because the overall proportions were so far off, but that was just too ludicrous to be worth the time.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-18-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default one of the many reasons

I love this site is it prompts me to explore many subjects I wouldn't otherwise. For full disclosure - mostly it's not baseball per se. Good thing/ bad thing as often it's just mental masturbation - not that there's anything wrong with that - it helps me avoid what I should be doing. I've taken to the interweb twice in the past couple of weeks as a result of reading the Commy thread to devine the differences between ear growth that would relate to the cell production rates of cartilage as one ages and ear size which can be a product of gravity. Apparently while the growth is almost imperceptible a short time after adolescence until much later in life - they do continue to grow throughout ones life. Not the entire ear - only certain parts btw. As for gravity - I can only speak to it anecdotally - but it all seems to be hanging lower..........
Of course there was no real question about the Comiskey double and the op's wild departure from reality. I hadn't seen the Wagner listing but I don't think anyone really needs a grid to see it's not him (although it's a really neat tool!) - but apparently the AH might have....... Next time someone lists a picture of the virgin Mary on a piece of toast - I'm gonna use it.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
...I've taken to the interweb twice in the past couple of weeks as a result of reading the Commy thread to devine the differences between ear growth that would relate to the cell production rates of cartilage as one ages and ear size which can be a product of gravity. Apparently while the growth is almost imperceptible a short time after adolescence until much later in life - they do continue to grow throughout ones life. Not the entire ear - only certain parts btw. As for gravity - I can only speak to it anecdotally - but it all seems to be hanging lower..........
That is certainly all true. Any particular example is of course only anecdotal, but below left we have Fielder Jones 1901 (age 30), and right is Jones 1914 (age 43), at a slightly different angle. There is no perceptible difference and that is what I virtually always have seen thousands of times when comparing faces of the same man within the time span of ball playing age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fielder Jones ear 1901 s000218.jpg (29.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Fielder Jones ear 1914 cropped s059933.jpg (29.5 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:50 PM
H Murphy

This is very interesting info and fun to follow. The grid technology makes it even more so. Because of these recent threads been paying much closer attention to old photos and generally all items. Not to tech savy but would love to see a side by side shot of this Wags and the player pictured on the bottom right of the recently sold 1900 Cinn team schedule , Smith. Hope the recent purchaser doesn`t mind the included link and congrats on a great item.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195490
Old 10-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Dave Grob

Default Use of a Grid System

The grids I provided to Mark for his work are very easy and inexpensive to make. All it requires is that you print out a grid or grids in any size you need to work with and then make a copy of it using a transparency made for use in copiers. These transparencies can be purchased at most office supply stores (make SURE they are the ones for use in printers/copiers).

Use of the grid system on a transparency allows for their use right on a computer screen or on top of the actual image or images you might be working with. Not only does it allow you to better focus on a single common point of reference, but it also facilitates your ability to assess vertical and horizontal alignment of various facial features in a comparative manner. Lastly, the grid system forces you to look at an image closely in its entirety, which helps to counter our natural tendency to either focus on the central area of the image or scan it in a sub-conscious “Top to bottom-Left to right” manner.

Without getting into painful detail, this simple grid system really represents an integral part of automated query, search, and compare functions found in modern facial recognition technologies. Prior to these functions being automated and supportable by searchable common data bases, use of grids like these and other similar tools is how intelligence folks did a lot of this work back in the day.

Dave Grob
Dave Grob1@aol.com
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Barry Arnold

Default dave g.

very helpful.
many thanks.
best,
barry