NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default How many people accept the T200 Cleveland card as their J. Jax card?

Posted By: Fred C

How many people accept a T200 as their Joe Jackson card? Any card of Joe Jackson is getting pretty expensive (relatively speaking). Even a 1940 PB card isn't really that cheap.

To me the T200 Cleveland team works as my Joe Jackson card. I figure one day I'll have to get the 1940 PB card of him to complete that set but that card isn't from his playing days. I think that I'll end up getting a CJ card of him in the future but it's just not on my radar right now.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Fred,

For what it's worth, unless a team card is the only card to feature a specific player, I consider it only a team card.

An an example, I collect Lajoie cards but consider the T200 Cleveland card an afterthought in my Lajoie collection. But again, that's just me.

Rob

(edited to add Lajoie example)

Old 12-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I agree with Rob. I'm a Cobb collector and the T200 Tigers card is important but probably 15th-20th on the list of his cards I covet. As for Jackson....E90-1 or CJ for me.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I consider my T200 Pirates card to be my card of Ed (Midget) Mensor (who?) because his Voskamp Coffee card never shows up and, if it should, this kid won't be winning it in the absence of a Mega Millions score. I've thought about chasing the T200 Cleveland card for Jackson but think I'll hold off for Mega and then pick up his Cracker Jack instead. Mark

Old 12-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

National Gam/Tom Barker is not a bad alternative if you don't want to shell out a lot more.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

It is a team card.
Joe Jax is in the team picture.
Therefore, it can serve as the poor man's Jax card.
I am a poor man in this game.
Therefore, it is my Jax card, and I love it as such!

For the record, with the exception of one (The black and white M101, I think?), I think Joe Jackson's single-player issues are ugly as hell. But that is just my opinion, which I am entitled to, and while I know in my heart of hearts that I am correct, please remember, it is a poor man's opinion.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

This is the only one that I would accept

http://tinyurl.com/2rkfq3

Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

It isn't a player card, but used as such for the JJax Master Set/PSA Registry.

1913 FATIMA T-200 TEAM CARD JOE JACKSON 1 7 54

Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

My T200 Pirates is my only period Honus Wagner card and I'm way cool with that!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The 3 different 1913 era game cards (WG4, WG5, WG6) are far better than a T200 team card or even the 2 decade after his banishment 1940 Play Ball card. And these 3 cards will cost roughly the same in mid to low grade as a T200 and less than the 1940 card. I Still dont know why collectors dont buy these Jackson or Wagner game cards up. The photos are very attractive to me especially the Barker and National Game cards.

And why would anyone even consider a card made 20 years after his last pro game?? Its like making your Babe Ruth card a 1960 Fleer card.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Do you have some scans of those game cards that you are talking about?
I would be curious to see what those W-cards look like...I don't recognize the catalog number

thanks!
Jason L

Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

I have no problem in using multi-player cards to represent individual players. Heck, they are on the card.

And recently, I have become disillusioned with the date of card issuance for correlation with baseball occurances. This is in part attributable to images often being employed that pre-date the card's manufacture by a decade or more. I am currently thinking that the date of original image generation has greater relvancy than when the card was made.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

they are commonly referred to as "the National Game" or the "Tom Barker game" cards.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I agree, the W cards are great value for a playing era card.
Here's scans from vcp
National Game

Tom Barker

PoloGrounds:

Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I agree that the T200 Cleveland card is not a "Jackson" card. It is a team card. I'm just going to count it as my Jackson card until I can find a "real" Jackson card. I forgot about the game cards. Those are reasonable alternatives to the standard released cards. Thanks for that tip. I usually don't like game cards too much but I've been warming up to them lately. I kind of regard the game cards like strip cards but even some of the strip cards aren't that bad.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

I think that it kind of matters whether or not the player's name is listed on the front of the card (or perhaps even on the back). If there is no mention of the individual players, that seems to be more of a "team" card to me. Maybe not as acceptable? Just a thought - not sure I agree with it.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I find the T200 to be a great real photo representation of Jackson's playing days and thus acceptable as your Jax card. On some levels, I find it more desirable than the E90-1 - to me a cartoonish caricature identifiable only by virtue of the name "Jackson" printed on it. It all depends on your collecting criteria which are, of course, personal.

As to another relatively lower cost alternative, how about the M101-2? Or is that not considered a card?

Old 12-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

I don't have any Jackson card, not even the t200 team card. I thought about buying a low grade one a couple years ago but passed. I decided that it wouldn't satisfy my desire for a Jackson card. I felt as though I would never be happy having that card as my only Jackson, so i plan on waiting. Probably, at least a couple more years, then if I have the money and find one
for the right price; I would really like a 1915 CJ.

So i don't accept it as a real Jackson but I think its up to the individual on this issue. It can be a more affordable way to get a card with him on it.