NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default Scoop on REA and Mastro Auctions

Posted By: Cat

I received my May SMR today and both REA and Mastro had adds with Auction previews. REA shows a near complete high grade M101-4 set and a Peck and Snyder Cincinnati card. Mastro showed portions of the Lionel Carter collection. The Mastro adv. showed a Toleteros Gibson, the Gibson postcard from REA last year, E107 Wagner, high end e94 Close Candy Crawford, several great Cabinet cards, two Ruth rookies, two High Grade Lajoie Goudeys, etc. etc etc. WOW!!!

My hopes is that others can share what they have heard in terms of what will be in the upcoming auctions. I AM NOT CONSIGNING ANYTHING SO IT IS NOT A SHAMELESS PLUG!!!

Aside from the advertisements, I had heard there were going to be several (perhaps many) E107s in the upcoming auctions as well as some high-end Cuban cards.

I think we are still a week away from getting the catalogs or live websites, so I was hoping others would divulge what they know. If Leon has no issue with it, I personally do not mind shameless plugs (in moderation).

If I am breaking some rule, Leon be my guest at exploding this thread. (Famous quote of Walter Sobchak: "Smokey, this is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.")

Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Some highlights of the Mastro auction are here:

http://www.auctionreport.com/Mastronet.htm

Old 03-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

No issue here....I do know that one of the high end rookie card collectors is moving into a different collecting field and there will be part of his collection being auctioned....either in Mastro and REA or one or the other...not sure. Also, the reason I locked the "pizza" thread wasn't personal. The original poster and I have already emailed back and forth and there are warm fuzzies both ways. I would prefer off topic posts to be a little more relevent than pizza.....I am pretty easy..... best regards

Old 03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kelly

In the Robert Edwards I have a group of 378 different t206 cards that someone could be the third owner of.

In the Mastro auction I have a complete 1933 Goudey set as well.

Several other things, but I will limit the "shameless plug" to these two.

-Kelly

Old 03-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

REA-
Set of rare Big Head strip cards. Ruth is graded an SGC 50.
101-4 Globe Cobb SGC 50
Ware's Jackson SGC 50
37 - e125's
Collins/McCarthy Cobb & Johnson
OJ Kelly SGC60
2 high grade d304 w/ Martins back
d359/d322 bread group
1915 Cracker Jackson EX
d304's, m110's, e104's, 1912 Garter, Ruth rookie.... Shameless, but honest.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

if Mastro is going to put together a 'commemorative' catalog ala the Sotheby's Copeland edition - collating just Lionel Carter's pieces from their upcoming auctions......would make a fabulous reference and art book of/for the hobby.
So few collections are ever really known or saved for public consumption as nearly all get broken up and sold off at some point. It would be nice to have one survive in a historical sense for the collectors to come.

Daniel

Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

When I heard that the Carter Collection was being offered in the latest Mastro auction I did some Googling because I had no clue that he was still alive. He is quite a fascinating man. Check out the other thread about the letters he received from Jefferson Burdick. Very fascinating.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Stinsman

I guess everyone knows about all the E125's that were shown in the #10 Issue of Old Cardboard.
There is one I would love but the way they are grouped will make it impossible.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Luc Mitchell

Reading the part about the Heads Up set being assembled out of packs reminded me of a post here some months ago about some cards being stolen from a collector (who, likewise, put many old sets together from packs). Is this the same collector, and does anyone know what happened to the stolen cards?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

That's the first thing I thought Luc when I saw that Lionel Carter was still alive. If it was him I wonder if that helped motivate him to get rid of his collection?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Yes, it is the same collector, and those are his cards in the auction.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

I wonder, will there be new records set in the Mastro auction?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I understand both auctions are considered the best they have ever had. We could be looking at 20M for both. I hope there is enough money out there.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I'm glad that mastro decided to use SGC to grade some of the more important items like the '51 Mantle, '38 Goudey set, E106 set.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

2 of the greatest days of the year is receiving the Mastro catalog & receiving the REA catalog. It just doesn't get any better than that !!!

Now, if I could ever afford something in any of the catalogs & not just the actual catalogs, that would be one hell of a celebration !!!!

Alan

Old 03-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: daryle

Mastro has 2 and REA has one? I checked the Mastro website and it shows one of their Ruths to be PSA7 NM. Does anyone know what the others grade? Just wondering if I should start gearing up...........

****edited to delete part of post.....looked like I was offering ot buy if anyone had one for sale that is a member****

Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

The two Ruth rookies in the Mastro SMR adv. are SGC 70 and PSA 7.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: daryle

hmmmmmmmm......does that card exist in lower grade? Seems like every one that I see is in like PSA/SGC 5 or better....can't touch that. I just want one in collector grade......to have one.