NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Justin

Default Collector's Nightmare - the trashcan

I think I accidentally threw away a box of pins when I did a major house cleaning a few weeks ago. Last week while continuing to inventory (I decided to downsize a bit) I noticed that some pins I had recently sorted through were missing. This past weekend I did a methodical house search with no luck. Now I keep picturing them 10 feet under mounds of trash at the dump, never to be seen again. It's a horrible feeling.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what's missing (hopefully no cards), but it's tough. Here's what I know so far:

1898 Cameo Pepsin Brooklyn (purchased at the National this year)
1909-12 PX7 Domino Disc extreme miscut (Russ Ford/Tex Erwin)
1933 Cracker Jack Dazzy Vance
1947(48?) Jackie Robinson ROY
Some high grade PSA 1956 Topps & Yellow Basepath pins
several PX3's and PX7's
several 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers charms
1960's large Sandy Koufax b&w stadium pin

Has anyone else done anything this dumb or have other tragic loss stories?

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 11-23-2016, 05:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sorry to hear that. Most of us that have been doing this long enough have had at least one "woops" moment. I know I have ruined a few things opening them, over the years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I think I accidentally threw away a box of pins when I did a major house cleaning a few weeks ago. Last week while continuing to inventory (I decided to downsize a bit) I noticed that some pins I had recently sorted through were missing. This past weekend I did a methodical house search with no luck. Now I keep picturing them 10 feet under mounds of trash at the dump, never to be seen again. It's a horrible feeling.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what's missing (hopefully no cards), but it's tough. Here's what I know so far:

1898 Cameo Pepsin Brooklyn (purchased at the National this year)
1909-12 PX7 Domino Disc extreme miscut (Russ Ford/Tex Erwin)
1933 Cracker Jack Dazzy Vance
1947(48?) Jackie Robinson ROY
Some high grade PSA 1956 Topps & Yellow Basepath pins
several PX3's and PX7's
several 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers charms
1960's large Sandy Koufax b&w stadium pin

Has anyone else done anything this dumb or have other tragic loss stories?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Ben North

Not prewar but I was sorting threw several piles of cards to get rid of some commons from the junk era. Later noticed I no longer had any Donruss Aqueous Test Issue cards.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

My mistakes have been many, but my favorite "always double check" story involves buying a traded set at the height of the ARod craze after he signed with the Yankees.

I opened the packing peanut filled box and removed the set and tossed the box in the dumpster. A few days later when I got around to looking for the ARod, I noticed it was missing from the set and emailed the seller.

I received this reply -
"I removed it from the set and it was in the box in a card saver as it is the best card"

Sigh...

At least that couple hundred dollar loss is now a faaaar smaller loss now, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Robert J. Miller

Dang. Sorry to hear that. I am extremely cautious, my grandfather taught me that. I never really had an accidental loss like that but I did throw away a load of 1984 Topps football commons way back. They were all commons but a few Marino's and Elway's may have been in there. But at the time I did not care because they were only about 50 cents when I trashed them.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Dont give up hope yet! I have "lost" items that I couldnt locate after a reorganization of my collection only to have them turn up in the bottom of some box years later where I had obviously put them without thinking. Yes, you could have tossed them out but the bigger your collection the more likely they are stashed somewhere and you just cant find them right now. Are you certain you kept them in the same box or could you have transfered them to another container? KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Mikeknapp

Although my mistakes have been memorabilia related they were painful nonetheless. About 20 years ago I purchased a game worn signed Steve Carlton jacket. I was so excited When opening the box I cut a two inch hole into it. Recently I placed seven 1971 post season press passes to San Francisco, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore in a large book. I got distracted and forgot about them. My wife subsequently sold the book to half price books. I didn't think I would ever see them again. I called them a couple of days later and they still had the book and returned the passes to me.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Some years ago I wanted to sell my N559 Lake Erie Governor card (non-sport) because I knew I wouldn't be able to complete the set as it became too popular. Couldn't find it. Looked everywhere...nothing. Checked again a few weeks later after a thorough Spring cleaning/organizing. Still missing. Gone. I must have accidentally thrown it away.

About 2 years later I was walking through my bedroom to the closet and it was laying in the middle of the bedroom raw with no top-holder but in the same condition I last saw it.

Baffles me to this day!
Old 11-25-2016, 09:30 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Some years ago I wanted to sell my N559 Lake Erie Governor card (non-sport) because I knew I wouldn't be able to complete the set as it became too popular. Couldn't find it. Looked everywhere...nothing. Checked again a few weeks later after a thorough Spring cleaning/organizing. Still missing. Gone. I must have accidentally thrown it away.

About 2 years later I was walking through my bedroom to the closet and it was laying in the middle of the bedroom raw with no top-holder but in the same condition I last saw it.

Baffles me to this day!
Seems pretty clear to me that whatever poltergeist swiped the card in the first place also had trouble completing the set, and it finally just gave up and returned the card.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default Oops!

Once I cut open a bubble-wrap envelope to remove a 1961 Topps Sandy Koufax card. Unfortunately, the seller failed to secure the opening at the top of the plastic toploader, and somehow this card managed slide out of the holder and lodge itself right into the crevice at the top inside of the package where it was sealed. I then, with my heavy duty scissors, cut right through part of the top of the Koufax card! Now I always double-check that sealed fold at the top of the bubble-wrap envelope to be sure nothing is lodged in there before opening it.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Once I cut open a bubble-wrap envelope to remove a 1961 Topps Sandy Koufax card. Unfortunately, the seller failed to secure the opening at the top of the plastic toploader, and somehow this card managed slide out of the holder and lodge itself right into the crevice at the top inside of the package where it was sealed. I then, with my heavy duty scissors, cut right through part of the top of the Koufax card! Now I always double-check that sealed fold at the top of the bubble-wrap envelope to be sure nothing is lodged in there before opening it.
OUCH! I'm sorry for your experience. I'm still looking for the first and second year cards of Bobby Orr from my childhood I stupidly lost track of 30 years ago! Monumentally stupid!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell
Old 11-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Bob Davies

Geez, usually we blame our mother for throwing these things out.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Dont give up hope yet! I have "lost" items that I couldnt locate after a reorganization of my collection only to have them turn up in the bottom of some box years later where I had obviously put them without thinking. Yes, you could have tossed them out but the bigger your collection the more likely they are stashed somewhere and you just cant find them right now. Are you certain you kept them in the same box or could you have transfered them to another container? KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!
I really hope that's the case. My home is basically a big open loft with only a few rooms so unfortunately there aren't many hiding places. I've kinda resigned to them being gone. If they show up on my bedroom floor a couple years from now I'll be ecstatic.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:13 PM

I stupidly threw out the entire large set of 1970's Sportcaster cards 11 years ago before another military move. I had them for many years and kept them through multiple moves in the military.

I was out of collecting for years and started to get back into it a little, around 12 yrs ago, but I never saw any info on these cards. I kept them in storage and finally threw them all out in a storage dumpster while cleaning out my storage space before my next move.

A few years later after the move, I started really getting back into collecting more seriously, and I saw some of these Sportscaster cards for sale at a collectable show and was blown away by the prices listed. The Bruce Lee, Babe Ruth and Duke Kahanamoku card prices alone were huge. I'd see just 1 or 2 of these cards listed by a seller at a show and get sick to my stomach as I had ALL of the cards - the entire set of 1500-2000 cards or so (not sure the exact number, but I had everything) every sport - track & field, soccer, baseball, football, karate, boxing, etc....

I'm more sick to my stomach that I did not lose the cards, but threw them out myself. I kept them for almost 30 yrs and then threw them out, in haste, during a stressful military move, just to save space during the move.

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and am reminded of it every time I see a Sportscaster card for sale with a nice price tag on it. :-(

MEB Boy
Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Justin

Default Best find ever!

This table/case has been in a closet for a few months. Today I decided to carry it downstairs and figure out what to do with it when I heard something slide around. I forgot it even had a little drawer. Total surprise when I opened it. I had written these pins off for dead. Monday happiness!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Clint

Worked at a baseball card shop as a kid. Worked my butt off for several weeks and the owner paid me with a mint 53 Topps Yogi Berra. To this day 30 plus years later I have no idea what happened to it. Still bugs the crap out of me.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Sean Costello

Nice ending to this story.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This story is like an alternate ending to the movie, Titanic, where that old bag doesn't actually throw the blue diamond back into the ocean.

Awesome!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

Nice table too
Old 01-24-2017, 06:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Lunch is on you. THAT is freaking great. Very happy for you and the pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
This table/case has been in a closet for a few months. Today I decided to carry it downstairs and figure out what to do with it when I heard something slide around. I forgot it even had a little drawer. Total surprise when I opened it. I had written these pins off for dead. Monday happiness!

Old 01-24-2017, 06:44 AM
Tom Boblitt

Great to hear!!! Love when a story winds up the right way. Especially from someone who collects pins and looked at that Brooklyn Cameo and went back to buy it and it was already sold! If it's the same Brooklyn and I'm pretty sure it is. Anyway, glad they all surfaced! Hate to see anything thrown away.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Especially from someone who collects pins and looked at that Brooklyn Cameo and went back to buy it and it was already sold! If it's the same Brooklyn and I'm pretty sure it is.
Lol, yeah it's probably the same one. It was one of the few things I picked up at the National last year. I only saw a couple and the other was fairly worn.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:19 AM
N
Banned

Awesome ending, congrats on the find
Old 01-24-2017, 11:08 AM

Justin, so very happy for you, bro. Thanks for sharing your good fortune in finding your little beauties. ---Brian Powell
Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM
James

Glad to hear you found the pins. Nice collection!

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Bry@n

Please let me know if you ever plan to sell any furniture on Craigslist
Old 01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Please let me know if you ever plan to sell any furniture on Craigslist
Ha that's funny cause that's almost exactly what happened! I just hate dealing with craigslist appointments (so many flakes) so decided to stash it in the closet instead.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Fantastic, things like that turn up every now and then!