NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Belltown Vintage

I think everyone should be forced to only eat only one food item (whichever one they think is the best), and nothing else.

Or to be more relevant to this forum, you can only collect one baseball card - whichever one you think is the most important.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Soy, and Ripken (89Fleer?), soooo many variations.

Thanks Bill, for this thread. When I first saw it last night, I thought it really wouldn't get much of a response. Boy was I wrong.

Bout time someone mentions seinfeld and/or the 3rd reich. (sp?) oops I just did. (godwins rule)

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 02-09-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

In short, it's possible to chew gum and walk at the same time, wear a shirt and pants simultaneously, and to be charitable to both dogs and humans. There is no dogs versus humans dilemma. In fact, when you find a stray dog a good home, you're being kind to both.

Did you know? Curly Howard of the Three Stooges was an animal lover and spent much of his free time finding homes for strays he found while traveling. He also was a quiet person and, away from the camera, only did his comic routines for people he knew well.

And did you know that Bela Lugosi was the first person to breed white German Shepherds in the United States? His family portraits included the human and dogs members.

Last edited by drcy; 02-09-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Bill

Hi Bill, I guess my only issue is to question why you would post this on a vintage card website? Aren't there hundreds of other sites where your post would be more appropriate? If you want to use this site, then maybe the water cooler section would be a better choice? Should we all start posting our personal issues on the main page of this board?

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Bill, I guess my only issue is to question why you would post this on a vintage card website? Aren't there hundreds of other sites where your post would be more appropriate? If you want to use this site, then maybe the water cooler section would be a better choice? Should we all start posting our personal issues on the main page of this board?

Rick
My only issue is why someone who has posted approximately 1 thread not pertaining to selling something, in the last year or so, can remotely question someone who has started a ton of good threads, then posts an off topic one? Care to guess which is a more valuable member, in my eyes?

Last edited by Leon; 02-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Leon is your reaction perhaps colored by the fact that the post was about a subject that obviously is one you feel passionately about?

I think Rick does have a valid point. For example autism and developmental disabilities are very important to me, but I would not have thought to start a thread on a baseball card board urging people to donate to those causes.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Well it was about a K. O. thing, and he is a good member, I think. Sports too, are there (olympics). And overall Bill's a great guy. It's ok with Leon, then it's ok by me.........Leons call.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Leon is your reaction perhaps colored by the fact that the post was about a subject that obviously is one you feel passionately about?

I think Rick does have a valid point. For example autism and developmental disabilities are very important to me, but I would not have thought to start a thread on a baseball card board urging people to donate to those causes.
+1

Rick's okay and contributes to the board behind the scenes with mailing issues. Dogs and Parakeets occasionally pop up of the main board, but I would defend anyone's right to question their presence here.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-09-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Yes and no. In my eyes, as moderator, I give a heck of a lot of leeway to the folks who add the most value to the board. Members who start good threads are my favorite members, in that respect.
And yes, I am a passionate dog lover, so that could play a little bit into it but not as much as my response above.

That being said I have already PM'd another good member today about an off topic as I do think there are a few too many at this current time. But besides that, and as far as the board's welfare is concerned, I am sticking to my story.

And I also need to add that Rick (hi Rick) is a good guy and this wasn't meant to be personal but is meant to give my opinion on the subject.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Leon

Leon, no problem here. You are correct. Most of the threads I start are in the BST. As far as value to the board - that is beside the point. The point is that I disagree with this type of post. No offense meant to Bill as I enjoy most of his threads. You are the moderator and it is up to you to moderate - not me. I have the utmost respect for you and for what you do.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Same for all of my family's pets...We always had dogs growing up. I recall at one time there were 4. Before my mother had passed last year from cancer, she requested that she be buried with 3 of them, and that my father(when he passes), be buried with the other 3. Or 2, depending on if Duke has passed by then. Dad's in pretty good shape, and Duke is a 10 year old, 125+ lb, American Bulldog who is aging very quickly at this point. It'll break my dad's heart when he passes. He was my mom's protector and best-friend(even to the point where people weren't allowed near her at times, when she was sick). He's been as depressed as the rest of us since my mother's passing, and he and my father have really bonded over it...

Every person deserves that type of bond, and so does every dog..
Dave, same here. When my Mom passed away her 3 favorite cats went with her. It really is strange the bonds we develop with our pets. As they say, dogs are mans best friend.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Tom Boblitt

My wife and I have two adopted daughters from China....this reminds me somewhat of some of the jackwads who will say 'why didn't you adopt from the US?'. My response is 'what have you done?'. Bottom line.....humans or animals, local or far away. just. do. something.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Leon, no problem here. You are correct. Most of the threads I start are in the BST. As far as value to the board - that is beside the point. The point is that I disagree with this type of post. No offense meant to Bill as I enjoy most of his threads. You are the moderator and it is up to you to moderate - not me. I have the utmost respect for you and for what you do.

Rick
Classy post Rick. Good man.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
My wife and I have two adopted daughters from China....this reminds me somewhat of some of the jackwads who will say 'why didn't you adopt from the US?'. My response is 'what have you done?'. Bottom line.....humans or animals, local or far away. just. do. something.
+1...good point, Tom. Doesn't matter where any human or animal is, if you can help, I'm sure it will go a long way.

Also wanted to thank Bill for starting this thread because I'm positive that because of his efforts, donations have been made that otherwise would not have been...and for that, we know some animals are getting care that is much needed.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Rick
Thanks for your understanding Rick. And it goes to show why you are one of the good guys. I appreciate it. I also respect your opinion too. You should always be able to give it, regardless if it goes against my grain or with it and not fear any repercussions. I am sure there are a percentage of folks that would prefer no off topics at all. I understand that too. Take care and happy collecting....
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Jason S!m@nds

I donate plenty to needy children in America. Actually, come April 15th I'll be sending another "charitable donation"

In all seriousness, this is a worthwhile cause (no one hear can deny that). If there is a cause more "worthy" it's best to take action and raise funds/awareness for that cause rather than $hit on everyone else's parade in a well-intentioned thread.

On a side note, I donated last week when I first heard about this.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Alex

My wife would cut a person who says that dogs don't have feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Also wanted to thank Bill for starting this thread because I'm positive that because of his efforts, donations have been made that otherwise would not have been...and for that, we know some animals are getting care that is much needed.
Ultimately, that's all I care about. This is happening right now, and there's not a lot of coverage about it in the news. And that's just tragic. These poor creatures need somebody to speak out for them, so I've done it everywhere I can think of. And if we've helped to even save a few dogs, then it is worthwhile to me. Thank you to everybody that has helped to spread the word, and has reached into their pockets to help those that are on the ground working to save these beautiful dogs. We are all God's creatures, and should be treated with kindness.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks, Bill. Amazingly (this is a true story), I have been able to adopt dogs and also to help homeless people. Weird, but true. I'm glad I didn't have to choose.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Nice
Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks, Bill. Amazingly (this is a true story), I have been able to adopt dogs and also to help homeless people. Weird, but true. I'm glad I didn't have to choose.
Good for you, Scott. If everybody just did a little bit to help out those in need, be it animals, or people, the world would be a much better place. I agree with Tom. Just do something to make a difference. We don't all need to be philanthropists on the level of a Bill Gates. Sometimes kindnesses that might seem insignificant at first glance have a way of snowballing for the greater good. The people here on Net 54 are salt of the Earth, and I knew coming here appealing to everybody's humanity would do some good. So, again, to those of you that donated, or raised awareness, I thank you. People like you all made a difference, and it's being reported that Russia has stopped the killing of the dogs. What they're doing to help them going forward I do not know, but with this senseless murdering now a thing of the past, the people that want to help them can now get in without the threat of some random deadline.

I for one will sleep better tonight.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 AM

Looks like this story really has a happy ending. Great article on efforts by U.S. Olympian Gus Kenworthy and Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska to help save these dogs.

http://www.eonline.com/news/510338/o...-dogs-in-sochi

Bill, thanks again for bringing this topic to light. It's voices like yours that helped turn a tragedy into possibly the feel-good story of the year.

Josh
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

A happy ending indeed. I am aware that most of you will probably not watch this video, but I think it is the best and most important response to the question that ended up being debated in this thread, that of choosing among various worthy charities. And it's heartening to see that there is enough charitable intent among my fellow collectors that such an issue would be discussed here. Please take a look.

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_singe..._altruism.html
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Mike C@.v3

Thanks for the link, Darwin...I love Ted talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48