NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Most Popular Old Judge Card/Subset
Spotted Ties – Earliest cards, toughest on this list, 16 portraits to pick from 8 8.70%
Brown’s Champs – Popular team, 13 portraits to pick from 11 11.96%
HOFers – Many options to land one of the 29 HOFers w/ 159 poses to pick from 31 33.70%
Mascot – 4 different mascot cards; Ewing w/ Mascot being the easiest of the bunch 10 10.87%
Whitney w/ Dog – KO’s choice, certainly commands a premium for its appeal 12 13.04%
Two Player – 48 different two player cards 5 5.43%
Equipment – Many OJs offer an interesting look into the games earliest equipment 7 7.61%
Strange Poses – Hengle’s dead man pose and others 4 4.35%
Other – Horizontal format, certain team(s), joke cards (Long & Short, Poor Man), etc. 4 4.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default Most Popular Old Judge Card/Subset

A couple nights ago, Keith Olbermann made mention of an Old Judge card during his segment, suggesting that the Art Whitney w/ dog pose "may be the most popular card in the set". I agree with Keith that the card is among the most popular but there are many others that could give it a run. I thought it might be interesting to see how the board votes on what they feel is the most popular card or subset within the set. This is not about the most valuable or unobtainable rarity but instead a card that many of us could find with some patience. For that reason, I purposely didn’t list the California League subset etc. That stated, what do you consider the best candidate for most popular card or subset that collectors seek and own?

Note: I don't actually own the posted cards, most of them are from the Burdick collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Spotted Tie.jpg (35.5 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Brownie.jpg (45.2 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg 3 HOFer.jpg (74.5 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 4 mascot.jpg (51.8 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg 5 Whitney w Dog.jpg (54.1 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 6 two player.jpg (60.1 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 7 Equipment.jpg (51.2 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Strange Pose.jpg (42.4 KB, 497 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM

I would say the Whitney/Dog and the Ewing/Mascot are the two most popular cards. If the Williamson/Mascot was easier to find, I'd think it would be popular too.

The St Louis Browns subset seems to have lost a lot of popularity as the prices aren't that high anymore and they are much easier to find that the Spotted Tie set. I think team and subset popularity runs in cycles and if you have enough people collecting them, the prices jump.

I like the two player cards, but so many of them seem impossible to find.

I voted the HOFers as the most popular subset because many people only collect those, ones that aren't Old Judge collectors.

Two more cards that could be considered very popular are Dummy Hoy and Billy Sunday. People who have no interest in baseball might know who they are. I had a friend who went to RIT school for the deaf and she told me about Dummy Hoy, who was part of the lesson for her class that day. She couldn't believe I had his baseball card.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 02-07-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Rhett Yeakley

This one gets my vote...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

My two favorites of the Old Judge set are the previously listed Old Hoss Radbourn obscene gesture and Ed Delahanty catch, hands at waist. That Delahanty pose is one of my favorites in the hobby, because of the seemingly mystical quality of the image.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Steven H.

The Whitney and the dog is my favorite so far. Just getting into the Old Judge cards so that may change over time. I also like the cards with the ball in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 AM
D@vid Fel@

The portraits and managers cards are also popular subsets to collect
You could also add team collecting to the list
Old 02-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Dan Bretta

Cap Anson in uniform is my "If I ever win the lottery...." card.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Steve Murray

Just for you Dan...

Stock scan...not mine

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 02-08-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
Just for you Dan...

Stock scan...not mine
Thanks! Do we know how many of these exist? Of course I can say "if I ever win the lottery....", but what would be the odds that one would come up for sale?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Although I'd like to have a Radbourn....

1887 Old Judge N172 Art Whitney with Dog

1887 Old Judge N172 Buck Ewing with Mascot
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Alex

I really like the Whitney with dog card. Hencle looks like he is dead.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Great topic,Joe!

I voted for the poses. In hindsight, however, there are just so many odd or hokey poses that the "subset" winds up being almost as big as the whole set!

My particular passion is the New Jersey Connection subset. Anyone got a spare Hankinson?

Old Judge Players With a New Jersey Connection

Born In New Jersey
Edward “Jersey” Bakeley (Cleveland)
Jack Farrell (Washington, Baltimore)
William “Kid” Gleason (Philadelphia)
Billy Hamilton (Kansas City)
John “Pa” Harkins (Brooklyn, Baltimore)
Gil Hatfield (New York)
John Kelly (Louisville, umpire)
William “Blondie” Purcell (Baltimore, Philadelphia)
Charles “Princeton Charlie” Reilly (Saint Joes, Philadelphia)
Abram “Hardy” Richardson (Detroit, Boston)
Billy Shindle (Baltimore, Philadelphia)
Michael “Silent Mike” Tiernan (New York)

Died In New Jersey
Charlie Bastian (Philadelphia, Chicago)
Dan Brouthers (Detroit, Boston)
Tom Burns (Chicago)
Larry Corcoran (Indianapolis, London)
John “Pop” Corkhill (Cincinnati)
John “Jocko” Fields (Pittsburgh)
Mike Goodfellow (Cleveland, Detroit)
Frank Hankinson (Mets)
William “Buster” Hoover (Philadelphia)
Michael “Mickey” Hughes (Brooklyn)
Harry Lyons (Philadelphia, Saint Louis)
Jim McCormick (Chicago, Pittsburgh)
Charlie Reipschlager (Mets)
Leon "Lee" Viau (Cincinnati)
Harry Wright (Philadelphia)

And I can't let the Ewing and Mascot hog all the player with mascot glory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ned.jpg (44.5 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by kkkkandp; 02-08-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added image
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Thanks! Do we know how many of these exist? Of course I can say "if I ever win the lottery....", but what would be the odds that one would come up for sale?
Worse than the odds of winning enough in the lottery to buy one.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Favorite OJ

One of my favorite OJ's is the King Kelly. Neat card....I am sure someone will show a pic. Foavrite subset has to be spotted ties.

Z Wheat
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Dan--the latest count on the Anson in Uniform is three in private hands, and one copy (Burdick's) at the Met.
Jeff--Nice cards! We'll get you hooked eventually.
My choice was Spotted Ties. They are scarce/rare and beautiful. The only drawback is that there was only one star, Orr, in the set.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM
E. Angyal

Default What about....

Team set collectors as an option? I collect Cleveland by pose.

Eric
Old 02-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angyale View Post
Team set collectors as an option? I collect Cleveland by pose.

Eric
There are plenty of team collectors out there, so it is one of the more popular ways to collect.

I think there are more specific Old Judge collectors as opposed to someone who will buy anything. I went through a time where I was buying only Pittsburgh cards and another time when I was trying to get an example of as many teams as I could
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Can someone post scans of "long and short" and the "poor man" referenced in the poll? I'd like to see those.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I started collecting when I was a kid and I always was drawn to the more colorful early 20th century cards. However when I came back to the hobby I found I was really attracted to some of the 19th stuff. As for N172’s I have so few and being a collector of a lot of the non-sports equivalents such as N145, N369 and N245 my mind swims without what an impossible task going after the N172 set would be at this stage in the game.

I have begun to pick up ones I think have really nice images or picking up a few of the different designs. I also am seriously thinking of starting a HOF subset one of each but many of the HOF players come up so rarely with great images that could be a long process. For now just buying ones that strike my fancy I would love to own a Whitney & Dog with a great image, as well as the mascot cards. For me my favorite cards are the Delehanty bat and that Kelly uniform portrait above.

Special thanks to our resident "OJ Royalty" Jay for adding a few very nice cards to my small but growing pile. Jay also says I should buy the "Anson & Ferret" card but has yet to share a scan so I’m not sure he’s being honest on that one but sounds cool.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 02-08-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 PM

I really hate Wonka. I have about 330 more OJ's than he does and I couldn't find 26 with pictures that nice
Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I really hate Wonka. I have about 330 more OJ's than he does and I couldn't find 26 with pictures that nice

Lol

SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 02-08-2014, 03:01 PM
pete ullman

I think I have only 1 remaining OJ in my collection...a common St Paulite with a very nice image. I don't collect OJ's...but I love the set for most of the above reasons...I love seeing the 2 player cards, the spotted ties, the myriad of different poses, the mascot cards rock....the super crisp sharp images...it's all awesome...and I couldn't choose 1!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Too funny John, thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

John--you truly have put together some remarkable images. While some of us have more quantity, very few are even close in quality.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Well the poll is pretty much what I expected. The HOF option proved more popular than the others yet the interests of collectors is quite varied. All the options had some support; we are drawn to many different cards and subsets. There was no right or wrong answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t213 View Post
Can someone post scans of "long and short" and the "poor man" referenced in the poll? I'd like to see those.
Thanks,
Andy
Andy, Tom Poorman has four poses all initially issued in 1888 with a correct spelling. However, in 1889, Goodwin issued one of his poses as POOR MAN. I have similar card of Frenchy Genins in which Goodwin twisted it around to GENIUS (almost all 5 of his poses can be found both ways). The Nicol & Reilly cards have a number of captions including the two below as well as one that reads "Big John Reilly & Little Nick".

Kevin, is Hankinson the only card you need from that list?? I love your mascot cards as well, a neat little subset that can keep even the most advanced collectors searching. The Ewing with Mascot is relatively easy, even in cabinet form (popular with smokers of 1888 & 1889, popular with collectors today). The Willie Breslin card (NY mascot) is tougher as is Williamson and Mascot. But the Willie Hahm card is an absolute rarity.

Rhett, Radbourn flipping the bird should have made my list, it is a popular pose that carries a premium. Nice pick.

David, Eric, and a few others, this was more about the most popular card than the most typical way collectors collect OJs, there is a slight difference. My interest in the poll was sparked by KO's comment that the Whitney with dog may be the most popular card in the set. So I wondered which card (sometimes a precise pose, other times a type card from a popular subset) was most collected. Another poll could try to capture how people collect the set, i.e. an example of every pose, an example of every subject matter, a specific team, etc. I'll think about this a bit and maybe post a poll down the road.

Jeff and John, nice cards as always. I wish there were more high quality gems to go around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long & Short.jpg (68.4 KB, 275 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Kevin, is Hankinson the only card you need from that list??
Joe:

Yup - Hankinson is the only player from that list that has eluded me. Unfortunately for John Dreker, that means I have a Larry Corcoran card that he feels is rightfully his. He and I have had discussions about me leaving that to him in my will, but lately I'm having second thoughts!

I'd also like to echo the thoughts of others about Wonka's small, but spectacularly-conditioned collection. Clearly, as a percentage of total population he wins hands down. Come on, John, loosen up and start collecting some OJ dogs (and I don't mean with Whitney) like the rest of us. I have a couple I could sell you!

Kevin
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Other for me

I choose other, because I really like all the outdoor shots, which if I am correct, are all Brooklyn players.

Brian
Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I choose other, because I really like all the outdoor shots, which if I am correct, are all Brooklyn players.

Brian
Brian, yep, all the Brooklyn players photographed in 1887 were taken outdoors and then by extension any re-issues of those 1887 photos in later years are outdoors; be it with Brooklyn or a team change card. All the known California League cards are also outdoor shots except for one exception; Edwin Breckenridge with his interesting studio shot.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
Joe:

Yup - Hankinson is the only player from that list that has eluded me. Unfortunately for John Dreker, that means I have a Larry Corcoran card that he feels is rightfully his. He and I have had discussions about me leaving that to him in my will, but lately I'm having second thoughts!

I'd also like to echo the thoughts of others about Wonka's small, but spectacularly-conditioned collection. Clearly, as a percentage of total population he wins hands down. Come on, John, loosen up and start collecting some OJ dogs (and I don't mean with Whitney) like the rest of us. I have a couple I could sell you!

Kevin

You could always sell it to and keep the right to possess it until death. Doyle Brunson sold Phil Helmuth one is his good luck charms that way.

SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Like John, I also go for strong images, but also have a Brown's champs subset and am working on an HOF run. I see I was the underbidder on a recent one of John's purchases depicted above.
JimB

Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Jim, amazing cards! That Robinson card of yours is on of my fav cards of yours.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I voted mascots as they are most interesting to me. Dog related cards are also pretty cool.