NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Default Your experiences with HOF'ers

Hey All,

This site, and this side of the site is incredible. For the past week I've been doing nothing but reading the threads on this side and have read and seen some amazing things.

One thread I read (from 2009) was about a guy who detailed his experience of 'checking' Joe DiMaggio into his hotel room in 1995....the story was awesome and got me wanting more.

So...What experiences can YOU share about interacting with HOF'ers? Who can share a story about the 'oldest' one?

Can't wait to read these

Andrew
Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

I only met one (two if you count future) and it was at a card show in Bloomington, MN. Over ten years ago.

I watched Willie Mays sign with his head down for a couple of hours, then as he dashed for the back door, I intercepted him and stuck my hand out so he couldn't avoid it. He shook my hand then he disappeared out the door before anybody else could talk to him. He didn't want to be there I don't think.

Then I went to get Bert Blyleven's signature on a ball and he couldn't have been nicer. Willing to talk and interact with the fans. He wasn't a HOF'er yet, but is now and I am happy for him.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Dimaggio

I once met Joe Dimaggio at the Sun Times show. The person in line in front of me had a B/W photo signed by Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle and he needed Joe D. to complete the photo. He paid his $175.00 fee for a flat signature which he was charging at the time. He also had a long list of items stated that he would not sign. When this person got up to the front of the line....Dimaggio looked at the item said he wasn't signing it. When the person pointed out he had paid his money for a flat item and waited patiently in line for about a half an hour Dimaggio said something to the effect--I don't sign anything Mantle signed ahead of me. And that was that.
The guy had to get out of line....spend $10.00 for a baseball and then proceeded to get that signed instead. Nice--true story.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Not a Hall of Famer yet. But I met Jim Thome a signing he did at a car dealership about 13 years ago.

Funny story though. The originally signing date was apparently cancelled and a bunch of people didn't know about it. The dealership had closed for the night, and most people left, but a few of us hung around, bullshitting about sports for a little bit. Luckily, someone forgot to let the rib-joint across the street know about the cancellation too, so the delivery guy came with a huge tray of ribs(at least 5 racks), and just left 'em for us since he couldn't do anything else with 'em.. Great free meal. Plus I managed to get up there for the rescheduled signing a week later.. He seemed like a great guy. Most players I've encountered at signing just rush you through, scribble on your stuff and shuffle you right along with minimum interaction. He took his time and talked with everyone, it was a very pleasant experience.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
$teve O.

I met Ryne Sandberg when he played for the Reading Phillies,in 1980.
The team was coming off the field,and I asked one of the players to sign
my glove.He refused,and Sandberg came up to me,and told me he would
be happy to sign my glove for me.He signed my glove,shook my hand,and
thanked me for being a fan.I was a Sandberg fan from then on!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
I once met Joe Dimaggio at the Sun Times show. The person in line in front of me had a B/W photo signed by Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle and he needed Joe D. to complete the photo. He paid his $175.00 fee for a flat signature which he was charging at the time. He also had a long list of items stated that he would not sign. When this person got up to the front of the line....Dimaggio looked at the item said he wasn't signing it. When the person pointed out he had paid his money for a flat item and waited patiently in line for about a half an hour Dimaggio said something to the effect--I don't sign anything Mantle signed ahead of me. And that was that.
The guy had to get out of line....spend $10.00 for a baseball and then proceeded to get that signed instead. Nice--true story.
These are the stories I love to hear. Why would Joe D. care that Mantle signed the picture before him?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I met Ryne Sandberg when he played for the Reading Phillies,in 1980.
The team was coming off the field,and I asked one of the players to sign
my glove.He refused,and Sandberg came up to me,and told me he would
be happy to sign my glove for me.He signed my glove,shook my hand,and
thanked me for being a fan.I was a Sandberg fan from then on!
Steve-awesome experience! I had a similar interaction with Sean McDonough (broadcaster) at Fenway Park around '91....he was walking by and everyone was yelling, "Sean, Sean will you sign?" He just kept walking, but I yelled, "Mr. McDonough, you're my idol (at the time I thought I was going to the 'Cuse to be the next great broadcaster) and he came right over, signed a few things for me and couldn't have been nicer.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Steve-awesome experience! I had a similar interaction with Sean McDonough (broadcaster) at Fenway Park around '91....he was walking by and everyone was yelling, "Sean, Sean will you sign?" He just kept walking, but I yelled, "Mr. McDonough, you're my idol (at the time I thought I was going to the 'Cuse to be the next great broadcaster) and he came right over, signed a few things for me and couldn't have been nicer.
Nice! There are some nice guys out there!!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Brock

I know you want hof players. But last week, I went to a signing and got acouple items signed by Chris Chambliss. My father and I, got him to sign his rookie bat and his yankee G/U cap. He couldn't have been nicer. Was shocked when we showed him the items and he checked them out and verified they were his.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChamblissCano 005.jpg (69.3 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by yanks12025; 02-05-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

That's awesome Brock...I've heard he's a nice guy.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
J.O.N

My encounter was with Bill Mazeroski. It was in the mid 80's. He had a small sports bar in Yorkville, OH. I was coming home from junior high and noticed a lot of people in the bar and cars parked everywhere. And when the door swung open a saw a bunch of flashes from cameras. I had a hunch maybe he was in town visiting.

So I ran home got a couple of my cards of him. I ran back and went inside and sure enough he was in there. It was neat cause it was like the Red Sea. Everyone saw this kid come into the bar and kinda made it a point to get me up to him.

He saw me and immediately asked my name. Had me sit down next to him and asked about my school and family. I told him that my grandfather new him from when he was in high school. He was such a class guy. He autographed both of my cards and just talked with me. I couldn't believe it. The rest is a blur. He has always been a hero in my parts and I got to meet him.

He is still a favorite of mine.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
These are the stories I love to hear. Why would Joe D. care that Mantle signed the picture before him?
I was well known that Mantle had no love for Joe D.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Maybe some won't like me saying this but he was an unhappy nasty man and his ego was twisted.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Richard Simon

I along with a friend of mine was invited, to Florida, to view a very large autograph collection that had just been obtained by Vince Antonucci the agent for Ted Williams, who eventually wound up a convicted felon.
He was also the agent for Monte Irvin.
I spent virtually an entire day with Monte listening to him tell one baseball story after another as he viewed the wire photos I had brought for him to sign.
The next day I met Ted and spent an hour with him, he was a delight also regaling me with baseball stories.
It was two days I will never forget.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-05-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Maybe some won't like me saying this but he was an unhappy nasty man and his ego was twisted.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Scott

I have four from years back:

I was the next to last sig for Willie Mays. A Kid was in line ahead of me w a book. Mays barked WHAT IS IT then when the kid told him. GIVE ME THE BOOK. The my ball was next. sloppy and smeared and rolled to me, and I later gave it away as a card show prize.

Met Mickey Mantle for six bucks at a car show. He had a cold, but still smiled and at least shook hands.

Met B Robby at a show, and he was incredible. HONORED that people cared bout him and his career.

My fave was when I was getting a Dennis Eckersley sig at a show I set up at. Eck wasn't in the Hall and was playing for Oakland at the time. Anyways, he was nice to me, but the little boy ahead of me was nervous to meet him. Eck asked him what was wrong. The kids dad told him he was nervous. Eck said "hey sonny, come here, he sat the kid next to him in a chair, took two pics and gave him an additional free signature too. The smile on the little boy and the look on his dad's face made my day.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Default Maz

Ill agree with Jon about Mazeroski.

Met him this past fall at a show here in Philadelphia and he could not have been any nicer. Took time to interact with every person in line! And are you ready for this, after returning my autographed ball to me, he said "thank you" to me.

It really does not take much effort for these players to make a difference; unfortunately, the more I read, the more it seems like interactions with Maz are the exception.

Needless to say, I am a Maz fan!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
He also had a long list of items stated that he would not sign. When this person got up to the front of the line....Dimaggio looked at the item said he wasn't signing it. When the person pointed out he had paid his money for a flat item and waited patiently in line for about a half an hour Dimaggio said something to the effect--I don't sign anything Mantle signed ahead of me. And that was that.
I realize this isn't what this thread is about, but I've got to say that unless DiMaggio's "will not sign" list was publicized ahead of time, the guy in front of sicollector1954 got a raw deal. And the sad part is that there was probably no recourse to be had.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Archive

Hi Andrew

I had the opportunity of working with Bob Feller. He came to the retail store that I worked at and signed autographs for free to any customer that wanted something signed.

It was a great time for me and just sitting there and listening to the stories he told was a great experience. At the end of the autograph session, I had two items that I wanted signed. He said that wasn't good enough. I went home with a grocery bag full of autographed items.

Jantz
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Banned

I can't really think of anything worse than an autograph signing if I was an MLB player. All those annoying people shoving trinkets at you to sign and trying to shake your hand, get a photo, etc. Bet it gets old quick.

I really wonder why they even bother, even at 175 a pop like Joe D. it seems like a really miserable & degrading way to make $$$. But old farts like him, Mays & Mantle who got paid squat while players have no choice I guess, maybe they need the cash to maintain their lifestyle?

Hard to see players today doing this garbage in say 10 or 15 years. Why would guys like Jeter, Arod etc waste a day of their life to do this when they already have more $$$ than any human could spend in 50 lifetimes?

If I was an MLB player I wouldn't sign anything for anyone while still an active player (like Steiner or whoever most of them now sign thru by contract). Why give those clowns a cut when you could create scarcity/demand and then be a huge "get" in retirement? Instead of shows you could sign thru the mail and charge rich collectors like 2500 a pop if they want it bad enough.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Mikeknapp

I got Feller a few times and on each occasion he was very gracious and friendly. I’m going to miss seeing him at spring training this year. Although he isn’t in the hall of fame, my favorite experience with a professional player occurred in 1974. I was eleven at the time. Lyman Bostock played wiffle ball with my friends and I for a few minutes in the Cheney stadium (Tacoma) parking lot. He was a great guy. His death was such a tragedy. Last week I took a female friend to see Cal Ripken at Mill Creek Sports. I came away thoroughly impressed. He was polite, friendly, and had a positive comment about each item he signed. He shook hands with virtually everyone and took the time to pose for pictures with anyone who requested one. He is a true gentleman and obviously a great ambassador for the game.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I along with a friend of mine was invited, to Florida, to view a very large autograph collection that had just been obtained by Vince Antonucci the agent for Ted Williams, who eventually wound up a convicted felon.
He was also the agent for Monte Irvin.
I spent virtually an entire day with Monte listening to him tell one baseball story after another as he viewed the wire photos I had brought for him to sign.
The next day I met Ted and spent an hour with him, he was a delight also regaling me with baseball stories.
It was two days I will never forget.
Richard,

Very cool to hear...and I'd heard that DiMaggio was an egotist, I guess I wasn't aware to what level!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post

I was the next to last sig for Willie Mays. A Kid was in line ahead of me w a book. Mays barked WHAT IS IT then when the kid told him. GIVE ME THE BOOK. The my ball was next. sloppy and smeared and rolled to me, and I later gave it away as a card show prize.

Met Mickey Mantle for six bucks at a car show. He had a cold, but still smiled and at least shook hands.

Met B Robby at a show, and he was incredible. HONORED that people cared bout him and his career.

My fave was when I was getting a Dennis Eckersley sig at a show I set up at. Eck wasn't in the Hall and was playing for Oakland at the time. Anyways, he was nice to me, but the little boy ahead of me was nervous to meet him. Eck asked him what was wrong. The kids dad told him he was nervous. Eck said "hey sonny, come here, he sat the kid next to him in a chair, took two pics and gave him an additional free signature too. The smile on the little boy and the look on his dad's face made my day.
Love your meetings, too bad Mays was such a jerk! Eck is too funny...He actually lived for a while in Sudbury, MA when I was working for a local grocery store. I see Eck coming down the aisle one day, grab a sign off the shelf and ask him to sign it...he was cracking up at that move. But, also got KC Jones, Jeff Reardon, Lee Smith, Danny Darwin and Oil Can Boyd all while working for the grocery store.

Last edited by 7nohitter; 02-06-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Not in the same category in terms of on-the-field achievements, but a Hall of Famer nonetheless... I am a college basketball beat writer in Ohio and every home game I sit next to the great Hal McCoy, long-time Cincinnati Reds beat writer, enshrined into Cooperstown in 2003 along with Gary Carter, Eddie Murray, and Bob Uecker.

I could sit and talk with him for hours and like anyone that has been involved with baseball for as long as he has, he shares some great stories! He's always been awesome to me and jokes with me all the time. Last week, we were talking about the oddest things he has been asked to sign. Later at halftime he turned to me and said, "Did you just see that? The guy had me sign his popcorn box!"

Great guy and will sign through the mail for those wondering.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Nick Edson

Default My Favorites

Between covering baseball and going to hobby shows over the last 40 years, the most enjoyable Hall of Famers - as far as how they talked to fans - were:
1) Brooks Robinson; 2) Warren Spahn and 3) Al Kaline. On the flip side, Mays, Aaron and DiMaggio must have had "off days" when I saw them at shows several times. And that's being charitable.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Mays, Berra, Gehringer, Kaline, Horton ???

I've had the opportunity to get four HOF in person.

Ditto the prior comments about Mays. He was at a Jim Hawkin's Plymouth show and was quite surly and rude.

Berra also signed at a Hawkin's Plymouth show, and was surprising in that he was all business; rarely cracking a smile, or regaling in Yogisms or stories. Just business-like, polite, here's your autograph.

Gehringer signed at a Southfield Michigan show, and was similar to Berra inwhich he was very business-like and polite with his signing mannerisms. But Charlie did respond with eye contact and a smile when thanked, so he must have had an appreciation for proper manners too.

Al Kaline was signing at a Gilbraltar Trade Center show in Taylor (or was it Mt. Clements, I don't remember). I could see ahead that he was looking alittle frustrated and put out, but trying to remain polite. Earlier in the week, I had noted while reading in the recent Beckett Baseball magazine that Kaline's birthday was the day of the signing. So when it was my turn to get my item signed, I wished Al a hearty and enthusiastic "Happy Birthday". The look of surprise-turn-to-smile on his face verified that I hit a home-run with him. The promoter asked Al if it was indeed his birthday, and Al replied that it was. I got a nice, bold signature, firm handshake, and a word of thanks from Al for the birthday greeting.

Not a HOF, but a short story to share regarding obtaining Willie Horton's autograph in 1993. Jim Hawkins was promoting a 25th Anniversary signing with most of the members of the 1968 World Champions Detroit Tigers team, and the turnout was out-of-sight. Willie Horton must not have been expecting to signed literally dozens items for each individual in line (dealers???). While I was waiting to get my one item signed, Willie began making noise about having to leave for a doctor's appointment. After each person infront of me, he seemed closer to bolting. Fortunately, I got my autograph. So did the guy behind me. But the hundreds of fans behind him were out of luck, because Willie did get up and leave. Evidently, all of the Detroit Tiger ballplayers had spent a two or three hours signing stuff before the public show hours, upstair in Hawkin's private hotel room. Perhaps mail order; perhaps Hawkins own items. Anyways, Willie thought that the pre-public signing fulfilled his obligation, so having to sign autographs for the public for several more hours was not covered by the compensation he had received, or had agreed to do. I still feel for all those fans who waited for hours, to get nothing from Horton.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 02-06-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

I don't really hunt autographs much, so only two, both when I was a kid.

Bob Feller pitched a home run derby in Pittsfield Ma. in I think 74 or 75. After he sat in the stands with a huge stack of 8 1/2x11 "photos" that he was signing. I got one, and I think one for dad. Most of the kids were making planes out of them. When I asked if that bothered him he said " they're kids, they'll do stuff like that. And they're having fun so it's fine." Then he asked if I played ball, and we spent a couple innings watchingthe game while he explained what the pitcher was doing - different pitches etc.

And Brooks Robinson was at a Sports Illustrated hospitality room at a principals convention in 76. He also spent a bit of time talking baseball, after asking if I wasn't a bit young to be there. When one of the guys behind me said something aboutthe line not moving he looked at him and said "I'm talking to the kid, you'll have to wait" Which is totally awesome when you're 13

Rice and Evans were both at shows, and it was a pretty typical show thing. Hand item to assistant, move over, watch signing, get stuff back, move along. Evans did make a somewhat cryptic comment about the bat, but there wasn't the time to ask what he meant. (I really should have tried though. I'll always wonder what he meant by" huh- yep that's it")

Steve B
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Mike Dugan

I guess I am getting old but I have picked up 36 so far in person dating back to the 1970s. My top 10 nice guys would be:

1. Brooks Robinson- not just a nice HOFer but one of the nicest people in the world. Hope he heals up quickly from last weeks fall!
2. George Kell- very humble
3. Ernie Banks- At Arlington National Wow! what a nice guy
4. Stan Musial- 100 degree hear in an old fair grounds building, coat and tie shook hands with every person.
5. Lou Brock- very talkative
6. Bob Feller- stood up with each signing, smiled and shook hands
7. Warren Spahn- I was told he could be tough but asked a ton of questions
8. Bob Gibson- not warm but very couteous
9. Luke Appling- full of stories
10. Willie Stargell- laugh could be heard all over room

My bottom 10 would be

1-10 Willie Mays- never looked up, left early

Got a Mantle in Arlington but you handed off to handlers, never got close to him

The only person I can compare with Brooks is Bart Starr. He is just a really nice human being. Actually almost all of the former pro football players I have met have been very nice. I have developed my "butt in the dirt" theory. The better chance you have of getting your clock cleaned on every play, the more humble you have become.

I have only met a hand full of hockey players inclduing Brett and Bobby Hull and they were very nice! Backs up my theory.

By the way met former catcher Scott Servais last week at a hot stove meeting, he was cool at best. Rich Thompson, Aussie pitcher for the Angels also last week and super nice guy!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Steve Zarelli

I've had the good fortune to meet a good deal of Hall of Famers at card shows and events. I can't say any of the experiences were bad. I have heard many stories of Reggie Jackson being grumpy, but he was ok with me. Not exactly friendly, but decent enough.

Perhaps my most memorable was Enos Slaughter. He was super friendly and I handed him a bat that was already signed by a number of old time Yankees. He positioned the bat in his lap to sign it, looked up at me and said, "It's almost as big as my $#@%^" and then he laughed like hell. What a character!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:

Working for a Major League team has given me the opportunity to meet hall of famers and stars away from the limelight and I have to say I was never treated badly by any of them. Yogi Berra was a bit surly but very businesslike but I have to say he was the only one that came closest to being a bit nasty with me.

The memory of Dennis Eckersley that I have is that my first two years working for the team I was dugout security and I carried handcuffs in case we had people who ran on the field or into the dugout. A few teammates of Eck's borrowed my handcuffs and the next thing I know he is running out of the clubhouse and into the dugout where I was at, asking me where the key was. This was happening in the middle of the game and he was trying to hide this all from the manager. I had given the other players the key to the handcuffs as well so I didnt have it on my. Needless to say he wasnt very happy with me or his teammates. On a side note, I did arrange to get a pair of cuffs for a few different players on the team at their request. LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Dimaggio

Joe Dimaggio was a product of the depression. If you want to read what he really was like...check out the October 23, 2000 Newsweek Issue....The Dark Side of Dimaggio by Ben Cramer. "Behind the scenes, Joe Dimaggio trusted almost no one and spent his last years obsessed with money and privacy."

A sample of what is in the article....Any tickets for baseball games/All-Star/World Series he ever received--he sold through a banker who deposited the money in his account.....50 plus sets of brand new golf clubs/shirts, etc. which were given to him when playing Pro-Am tournaments in the 60's/70's were found in his garage upon his death neatly lined up in rows but full of dust having never been moved....when the earthquake hit in 1989 in San Francisco, he went to his residence and went upstairs--calmly came down with a garbage bag--went to the Presido Club to stay for the night as a precaution.. was an honorary memberthere so he did not have to pay for anything--sleptthe night there with the garbage bag which in fact held six hundred thousand dollars cash! He was truly a product of the depression.

This photo was taken at the Sun Times show on 11/17/96. He never took the shades off or had a pic with anyone or said a word...only once that I saw yelling at an older die-hard lady who seemed to be a devote Yankee fan for holding up the line because she was taking too many pictures while getting closer and closer to the table! That lady went away with a different impression of Joe D. and so did many other people that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joed1.jpg (52.1 KB, 307 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Default Joe Morgan

Let me start by saying that for every bad experience I have ever had with meeting sports stars or getting autographs, I have also had many good ones as well! This is just another which seems to stand our in my mind of a bad experience.
At one time, I collected signatures of players who appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I would send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the S.I. if I had an address and sometimes would get them back in the mail. On this occasion, I already had two signatures on the cover (Rose/Perez), so I just sent a letter of inquiry asking if it might be alright if I sent the issue to Joe Morgan. You can see my answer.
I then waited until a sports show near where I live where he was appearing...paid my $22.00 fee and stayed until I was the last person in line not wanting to attract any extra attention...Once he signed the mag, I put this note in front of him and asked what the problem was...didn't think he wanted me sending anything to his work place at ESPN so just wanted clarification......I think he was caught off guard as he said something to the effect that his fan mail once had gotten mixed with his house payment and other bills and it really messed him up. Wow....a house payment for Joe Morgan...wonder which house?? I believed that story.

Another example...when the camera is on....the person appears as a really nice guy...but behind the scenes...a total jerk....I also heard he was not too happy when Ryne Sandberg was elected to the Hall and did someone vote not to put Santo in recently as well??? 15-1 or something....gee....could the 1 have been??
This sounds alot like Lee Trevino as well....total jerk but then there is Arnold Palmer as well---a really class act or in todays world...Tiger and Phil..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morgan.jpg (77.2 KB, 270 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Mike Dugan

I should have put Al Kaline in my top 10 somewhere. My daughter and I waited in a light rain for him at a minor league baseball game. The other signers were Brooks Robinson and George Kell.

The signing ended early when Mr. Kell got tired, he would pass a few months later. We were about 30 people away in line, when we passed Mr. Kaline he signed a ball and my Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary book with a broad smile. He then turned and along with Brooks guided Mr. Kell to his car.

It was obvious they really cared alot obout Mr. Kell.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Scott H.

He isn't a baseball player nor a Hall of Famer yet, but I have a couple of interesting stories about Brett Favre.

I was working a second job bar tending in the mid 90's, down on Water Street in Milwaukee. It was a typical packed Friday night with people 4 deep at the bar when all of a sudden the mass of people parted like the Red Sea and it got really quiet. Up to the bar comes Brett, Frank Winters and Mark Chmura. It was like a comedy act with them. Very funny guys. Honest to God, Brett came back behind the bar and slung drinks for about a half hour. He was a genuinely nice guy. Frank and Mark were as well. Every drink Brett served to people was paid for by them. Eventually, they headed on over to the bar next door, along with every hottie that was in our bar. I still have the bottle of Cuervo signed by all three.

The second story was from the second time I met Brett. My wife is a huge Favre fan and her and I went up to Green Bay to watch training camp in '98. After the Packers were done practicing, we went over to Lambeau and stood in the players parking lot waiting for them to come out to get some autographs. This was before 9/11. Since 9/11, the players parking area has been gated off. Anyway, my wife and I see Brett's agent, Bus Cook come out and we head over and talk to him. I told him the bar tending story and asked if he could get Brett to sign my wife's Jersey. So Bus heads back in and about 15 minutes later, we see Brett looking out a second story window then walk away. Bus comes down and tells us to come in and we got to spend about 5 minutes with Brett. He actually remembered me from the bar(which was surprising considering how much he drank) and he was extremely nice to my wife, signed her jersey and HE even suggested I take a picture of her with him. He put his arm around her and had a big genuine smile.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Greg

My best experience was with Warren Spahn, In the mid 80's he had a table set up at a Triple A game in Portland OR. Autograph tickets were only 4.00$, so I decided to have 3 items signed. The first item he signed was an APBA game card of him self. He asked "what is this" and I explained to him as well I could about how the game worked, He seemed genuinely interested and asked more about it. A lady sitting with him at the table tried to get him to look at the line and on to the next person but he then asked me where the best places to golf were in the Portland area.
I talked with him for about 5 minutes and loved how friendly he was.
Warren Spahn will always be tops in my book with Duke Snider a close second.
Mays gets #1 on my jerk list but that's another story.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned

a guy in line had a home plate nicely signed by mickey mantle and duke snider, he went up to mays and mays signed it, but didnt bother to check the sharpie - it was dried out, and the signature turned out very light, ruined the guys piece. hopefully he found a way to wash it off and get a dark signature eventually. i would have not been happy with that outcome if it was me and i paid good money for a very light washed out signature.

mays looked down the whole time except for once, someone brought a bat, and he stood up and gave it a mock swing, and everyone oohed and aahed like he had really done something. they fed his ego when he didnt deserve it.

if he would have just looked at people and gave an ocassional smile and been polite i think thats all that people would ask from him.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Jim Murphy

Everytime I purchased a ticket to get an autograph from a player that is what I got, an autograph, yes some of the players were nice and talkative and some just sat there. In every case they fulfilled their duty.

I wasn't looking for someone to help me with a dream or my need to be associated with that person

That said I had conversations with Di Maggio Mays and other tough types at autograph show because I went there with something more to talk about than "Boy I loved you as a player"

Like Richard, I was lucky enough to sit down with Ted Williams for an extended period and talk baseball with him

Last edited by murphusa; 02-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Everytime I purchased a ticket to get an autograph from a player that is what I got, an autograph, yes some of the players were nice and talkative and some just sat there. In every case they fulfilled their duty.

I wasn't looking for someone to help me with a dream or my need to be associated with that person
Well, you are in a minority. Some want a little something, at least politeness. Assembly line autographs and just plain jerks like Mays are not good at all.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Pete Sycks

I have a couple stories about HOFers.

Puckett: My mom worked for them back in the early 90's and knew Kirby really well, he was the nicest guy on the planet and his former wife Tonya was great too. One day Puck came home with 2 bags of Mcdonald's food what was called "the puck pack" back in the day. He tried to slip it past her, but she caught him and made him throw it out. It was pretty funny. His house was also amazing as I got to visit twice and being a 10 year old looking at his gold gloves and all of his awards it was like a kid in a candy store.

Griffey: After a Twins game back in the early 90's our neighbor Wayne Terwilliger (1st base coach of the twins) who we always waited for outside of the locker room saw Griffey walk by and Twig introduced him to my brother and me. He shook our hands and think asked us some baseball questions. It was amazing just to talk to Griffey for a minute.

Blyleven: I was at Twins fest about 5 years ago and Bert was walking by us so I grabbed a ball and a pen and walked over to him to ask him for his auto. I was wearing my college baseball uni as we were doing a baseball camp for the little shavers that day and Bert says "Usually I don't do this, but you're with a good team." and signed my ball. I told him that he was my dad's favorite player and he asked about him too. Bert is the man.

I haven't had a lot of bad experiences with HOFers, but kind of felt bad when getting Feller's auto also at Twins fest that year. He was sitting in a booth in the back of everything by himself asking for $15 for an auto and nobody was in line. I didn't notice he was there until I turned my head and said to my bro "That's Bob Feller". He was a very genuine guy and shook my hand.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Barry Sloate

I told this story a few years back, but it's worth repeating. It's about an accidental meeting with Nellie Fox.

When I was a kid, maybe 13 or 14, my friend Steven and I went to Shea Stadium to see the Mets and Astros. Steven was a huge Astros fan and somehow he got these incredible seats in the front row behind first base. Don't remember how he got them, but they were as good as it gets.

As we were buying food throughout the game, we were accumulating loose change which Steven kept in his top pocket. At one point in the game he leaned forward, and all the change came pouring out onto the field, rolling in different directions. At that point we wrote it off and assumed it was lost.

Nellie Fox was coaching first base, and when the inning ended, to our surprise he ran over, got down on his hands and knees, and picked up every last coin and returned them to Steven. I don't recall him even saying a single word, and when he was done he ran back to the dugout. We said thank you and I know I never forgot that small gesture of kindness from a major league ballplayer. And when he made the Hall of Fame that was the first thing I thought of.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I told this story a few years back, but it's worth repeating. It's about an accidental meeting with Nellie Fox.

When I was a kid, maybe 13 or 14, my friend Steven and I went to Shea Stadium to see the Mets and Astros. Steven was a huge Astros fan and somehow he got these incredible seats in the front row behind first base. Don't remember how he got them, but they were as good as it gets.

As we were buying food throughout the game, we were accumulating loose change which Steven kept in his top pocket. At one point in the game he leaned forward, and all the change came pouring out onto the field, rolling in different directions. At that point we wrote it off and assumed it was lost.

Nellie Fox was coaching first base, and when the inning ended, to our surprise he ran over, got down on his hands and knees, and picked up every last coin and returned them to Steven. I don't recall him even saying a single word, and when he was done he ran back to the dugout. We said thank you and I know I never forgot that small gesture of kindness from a major league ballplayer. And when he made the Hall of Fame that was the first thing I thought of.
BEST Story yet..

I love this thread, good and bad, its awesome stuff
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM

I was at a boxing event about 10 years ago collecting signatures on a boxing glove. Muhammad Ali made an unexpected appearance so of course I headed over to where he was walking in. His security was saying "no autographs" but he saw my glove hung over my shoulder, and without saying a word he motioned me over, took the glove and signed it.

I was at an event where Brooks Robinson was one of the guests. An announcement was made "no autographs please." Robinson leaned over to me and a few other guys and whispered "follow me." He led us out into the hallway where he signed for everyone.

And another boxing story: Former great Archie Moore was signing autographs at a public appearance. I noticed he had a hand full of pens. Seems if you didn't say "please" when you asked for his autograph, he kept your pen!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
BJ Cunningham

Default HOFers

I remember meeting Brooks Robinson as a kid. I had a 1960 Topps card my dad had given me to get signed and he remarked that he probably wouldn't have needed to shave in the morning before that picture had been taken.
Ernie Banks was super-nice to me and I remember that interaction better than most.
I remember Enos Slaughter, as well, as being genial and accommodating.

There's more than a handful where the line speed just moved me along and I didn't really get to talk to them, newer HOFers like Cal Ripken and Ozzie Smith, particularly and as I remember Killebrew and Weaver were about the same.

The most fun I had was talking to Buck O'Neil, though not a HOFer in Cooperstown.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
BEST Story yet..

I love this thread, good and bad, its awesome stuff
Agreed!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Scott

Seeing someone comment on Ernie Banks reminds me of another card show experience many years ago at a show in Waterbury CT. A major snowstorm hit and many dealers/customers couldn't make the show, but Ernie did. Before the signing, he told everyone to all join together in a big rousing Take Me out to the Ballgame. Was awesome and he was SO COOL to those he signed for.

Another one was a late buddy of mine, who used to travel all over to get autographs in a HOF hardcover book he had. He went to Sturbridge mass once where Enos Slaughter was signing. there was no line and Slaughter was reading, when J came up w the book, and said, could you please sign my book. Slaughters reply? "Your face is uglier than the cabbage in my garden. Now, I got this info second hand, but the source was reliable. ha
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
J.

I've told this story before here, but here's a Brooks Robinson experience:

About seven or eight years ago, I went to a free signing out in Pennsylvania with Brooks that I think was to promote an indy league team and their sponsors. It was one of those deals where the players were supposed to be signing promotional items and nothing else, which the other players, not nearly as big of stars as Brooks Robinson, were sticking to. Can't blame them, that's what they were being paid for. I got on the Brooks line perhaps 100 people back, and noticed immediately that the line was moving pretty slow. I didn't really have a great idea of Brooks's rep at that time, so I was expecting the Willie Mays experience - slow, grumpy, maybe hung over.

Got up to the front of the line, and the reason the line was moving a bit slow was because Brooks was getting up and taking pictures with anyone who had a camera, having a personal chat for a minute or two with every single person in line, handing out his own signed 8x10s that he brought, and actually asking if people brought anything extra with them for him to sign - even though he wasn't supposed to be doing anything other than signing the team pre-print. The handlers were getting annoyed, but Brooks didn't care at all, and he ended up staying well past his allotted time because he wouldn't let the line get cut off. I took home two beautiful signed ROMLBs with HOF inscription that are proudly in my showcase, the Brooks-provided 8x10 which is also still in my collection, and a permanent fandom of Brooks Robinson.

I simply can't say enough positive things about Brooks Robinson.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Slaughters reply? "Your face is uglier than the cabbage in my garden. Now, I got this info second hand, but the source was reliable. ha
LOL

This reminds me of another story I forgot about.

I saw Goose Gossage at a show back in the late 90s. At the time he was probably in his late 40s and I think he was coaching some semi-pro team. Despite his gray hair and a bit of a gut, he looked like he was in great shape and his arms were ripped.

I said something to the effect of how he looked like he was in game shape and could still bring it.

I was around 30 at the time. He looked me up and down through squinted eyes and replied, "I could still f%$^ing strike out your ass."
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

First, the good ones:

Juan Marichal was great - at the Astrodome as a kid, you could throw anything over the outfield fence and he would sign it and throw it back up. Also, one of the friendly guys AFTER the game outside the visitors' exit.

Sparky Anderson - did whatever he could to sign for a kid. I remember as the Reds' bus was leaving, he was stretched as far as he could out the door (while seated inside) to sign stuff up until the last second.

Not a HOF'er, but after Stan Bahnsen's ML career he continued to pitch in Triple A. What a friendly guy - seemed to love interacting with the fans.

The bad. I've got a couple, but Pete Rose takes the cake.

Pete Rose - hugest asshole on the planet, in my opinion. First experience - outside the Astrodome in '73, he was walking toward the bus with his suit bag over his shoulder, told the kids he had to go put up his suit and he'd be right out to sign. Needless to say, he went to the back of the bus and simply smiled out the window at all the kids - kind of a 'F You' to us. Years later, when he was player/managing the Reds in their annual game against the Denver Bears, we were screaming for him to go in and bat - after all, it was an exhibition. He refused. What a jerk. Then the Bart Giamatti thing came up - needless to say, I've got no use whatsoever for this blight on the game.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Matt

Default Rickey...

I grew up a huge fan of Rickey Henderson and marveled how he could really dominate a game in his prime. I've twice paid for his autograph in person at shows in Chicago, once in 2000 and then this past summer at the National. For a long time, Rickey wouldn't sign game used items, then he changed his motto and would sign game used items for 'double' the autograph price of a non-game used item......what a deal, thanks Rickey . I was surprised to see at last year's National that he would sign 'any bat' for one price and there were no stipulations regarding game used items. I brought a nice mid 80's gamer I've had for years with me and handed it to him to sign. He looked it over and kind of acted funny about it. He pointed out all the game use on it to the autograph rep/employee seated next to him as if there might be a problem. He hesitated while talking to the guy for a moment and they decided to 'check on something later'......maybe signing game used items should have been more clearly stated in Rickey's contract that day?? Anyways, he asked where I wanted it signed, planted a nice one on there and happily handed it back to me with a big smile, a thank you and a firm handshake. Rickey's attitude was the same way back in 2000, as well. He was a nice guy both times.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Bruce Esser

Many years ago, my wife, who is a physician, was organizing a conference on diabetes. She asked me to go pick up the featured speaker at the airport and basically be his chauffeur for the two days of the conference. She told me the speaker was some ex baseball player named Hunter.

Of course it was Catfish Hunter. We started talking baseball in the car going to the conference. He was genuine and truly nice to talk to. He gave a good talk (he was dealing with the effects of diabetes himself). He then stayed around after the dinner and signed whatever for the doctors in attendance. The next day I brought a dozen major league baseballs. He signed them and gave them to various staff at the hotel. A great experience.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/