NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
David H.

Default OT: Introducing Baseball Collecting

I decided to introduce my 2 year old son to baseball card collecting tonight - see the picture below for the ensuing results...

HenryCards.jpg

How did you introduce your son or daughter to collecting?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default that's great

That's a great way to do it, Cooper. Much joy had by the little one. I only have a daughter and she could care less about cards or almost anything except.... I guarantee she is doing something while looking at Facebook right now on her Iphone. I swear those teenagers are an I-"everything" generation.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Ken McMillan

Now really introduce your son to cards. Get out his tricycle and put the cards between the spokes. It will hook him for life. LOL
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Very nice! I like how he's picking them up off the floor and organizing them so nicely in that little box. Already a natural!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM
John Hanssen

Default What reprints are for

My son now 5, wanted the same cards as me to play with so I finally found a reason to buy a reprint raw card so he could run around the house with.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Jason Wells

I take my son to card shows with me and give him some card money.He usually buys non-sports cards with it but has picked up 2 raw T206's.He seemed to really like the art of the deal.I also let him open all my packages and tell him a few things about each card.Its an ongoing process.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheT206Fiend View Post
I also let him open all my packages and tell him a few things about each card.Its an ongoing process.
My oldest boy won't have anything to do with the cards, but my 3 year old daughter loves helping me open cards, and then inspecting them. It's kinda cute, 'til she tries to run away with 'em.. Then I get a little nervous.. My 7 year old son only takes interest when I get something Indians related.. He really doesn't get baseball yet(he's a little slower, seriously), but knows he loves the Indians. Same with the Browns and Cavs..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Every year since my son has been born he gets a factory sealed Topps set for Christmas. Up until this year he had no interst this year was different. Every night he wants to look at his baseball cards and throws a fit if we don't. We sit at the table and read off each players name. Trust me it takes a long time to read 660 cards to a 4 year old but it is great. Favorite player by far is Billy Butler cause his name is also Billy.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

My sons get all of my "off" condition cards. I even let them put some in screw cases and some in a frame case that i have hung on each of their walls.
I think as they age it is also good to get them to call out numbers when you are sorting sets etc.
Good luck!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 AM

My daughter, who turns four in March, is quite the little collector. She has a binder full of pages containing Red Sox and Bruins cards. Her favorite players are Jon Lester (Sox) and Andrew Ference (Bruins.) I introduced her to cards early on, including handling raw T206's. I figured this way she would learn to respect them. So far, so good.

Two weekends ago I brought her to her first card show (Woburn, MA.) She had a great time picking out some new cards for her collection. She couldn't wait to get home to place them in her binder.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Proud father of three little girls...

my daughters have varying interest in my hobby...depending on the day, they are either thrilled or quietly tolerant of coming to a show with me...in many cases, if a player is there, they get excited for a photo op...here's a few including yesterday with the Goose in White Plains...the little "tags" on some of the pictures were from a Show & Tell project...any way, it's really neat exposing the next generation to our hobby. Even if they don't love it as much as we do, the memories are lasting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emma.RobinRoberts.jpg (72.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Twins.DwightGooden.jpg (73.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Twins.WhiteyFord.jpg (70.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Sophie.RodCarew.jpg (73.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Twins.GooseGossage.jpg (32.4 KB, 82 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 01-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I only have a daughter and she could care less about cards or almost anything except.... I guarantee she is doing something while looking at Facebook right now on her Iphone.
That describes my situation as well. My daughter (now 20) never took an interest in cards - other than Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh (sp?) . However, I am not giving up hope. Maybe I'll have a grandson someday that will discover the same passion that I have.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Jeff P

My boys started with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh as well but moved to sports cards when they got old enough to play sports. I used to buy them whatever cards they were interested in and help them learn how to "grade and trade" with their friends. As they got into baseball/football, I started introducing them to my old cards and that got them interested in vintage which is pretty much all they collect at this point. Going to card shows has turned into a great father/sons past time so I'm pretty blessed and hope they never stop!

jeff
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
$teve O.

My 9 year old daughter is starting to come around.Her favorite
player is Chase Utley.I take her to some local shows so she can pick
out some Utley cards.When we get home she puts them in pages
in her note book,all in order by year.My 7 year old son chews on them
or draws beards on them.Not sure if theres hope for him!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

My daughter is 19 months, and seems to be interested in both the cards and the stamps. She got her first card at about 6 months, and found it tasty.

The second card was last week, an Allen and Ginter mini that was damaged. She carried it around the room for a good 10 minutes, and had played with it a few more times. She also got half of a screwdown holder that was missin the screws. That was the real treasure! A long time playing with that one after a lengthy aquisition parade.

Steve B