NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Default W575-1 & E121 Strange Fronts -- *NEW DISCOVERY*

This thread is obviously not for everyone as I doubt there are more than a handful of us that care about these things but I have made what is IMO an important new discovery...

Over the past few years there have been a few W575-1 cards that look very different than the normal W575-1 or E121 blank back. Instead of the normal "block lettering" at bottom on front they exhibit a serif style font that resembles the E135 Collins-mcCarthy or H801 Boston Store cards minus the card # at bottom. Up to this point only three players have been found exhibiting this style font, here are the images of the known checklist (Frank owns the Kelly, Brian P. owns the Schang, and I own the Dauss)...

For comparison here is an image of what a "normal" E135 card looks like along with examples of the regular W575-1/E121 of Kelly and Schang...

Anyways, these three "serif front W575-1" cards all buck the normal trend of W575-1 cards in that while the photos are the same and that the backs are blank, they almost seem to "bridge the gap" from the earlier E135 cards and the later E121/W575-1 cards.

Now for the "NEW DISCOVERY" portion, about a week ago I was browsing ebay and came across a card that after I looked at it I could hardly believe what I was looking at but it at first appeared to be a second example of the W575-1 George Dauss card with the serif front style BUT this card was in fact NOT a W575-1 but has the regular E121 TYPE 1 back. Honestly, I never thought I would see one of these cards exhibiting a E121 back but here he is. I am really kind of at a loss for words here as this card really shouldn't exist and I have never seen another player with the serif front exhibiting an E121 back. It appears this is at least a new legitimate variation for the E121 Series of 80 collectors as it is distinctly different on front (which is what we have long considered a true variation within that set), but beyond that this also opens the door of possibilities that other players may have been made like this within the E121 set (obviously Schang and Kelly are the most likely, but still others may exist)...

I welcome any and all thoughts regarding this new card or the W575-1 "serif-style" cards.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Barry Arnold

Default rhett

great discovery and expert detective work.
it continues to be amazing what a keen eye can bring to this fabulous world
of old cardboard.
all the best,
barry
Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Jimmy

Interesting stuff.
Good work!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Ken McMillan

Fun, checked all of mine and mine are the regular E121 types
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

wow, very cool Rhett, I sometimes still look for another one, you will make me start looking again. strange about being found with E121 back, I never would have guessed it too.

question, on the blank back Dauss with sharper corners, it sort of looks like the left side is handcut but the other 3 cuts look almost machine cut .... does it look that way to you in person?? ...like maybe the last card on a horizontal strip???

Last edited by fkw; 03-29-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Chris Counts

I wonder if all these different cards and others that resemble them (E120, E220, W573, etc.) were designed and printed by the same company?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Bob Pomilla

Impressive detective work, Rhett. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Kevin Andrews

Well done Rhett. Now I'm on the lookout for Dauss, Type IV, reversed, "serif-style"!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on these. I figure I'd give this one bump before it fades away to "Page 2" status.

-Rhett

Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: W575-1 & E121 Strange Fronts -- *NEW DISCOVERY*

Chalk up another one for the great Dr. Yeakley.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Default E121 merry-go-round

Great discovery Rhett...one would almost think that, since it was issued first, the E121 series of 80 set was somewhat of a testing ground for American Caramel. Now it seems like they were not only trying different fonts on the back, but also on the front, seeing which ones worked best/pleased them. It makes you wonder that perhaps the ones with this different font and blank back (like the Kelly and Schang pictured) were actually E121 test productions without the back printing. In any event very scarce, and another reason why this group of related issues are so fun and interesting.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-02-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: are for an is
Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Rhett,
I really, really think that you should spend some time writing up a fully illustrated 3 volume work on the E cards and W cards from the 20's. It would not only be one of my favorite books, but it would also help spread the popularity of these endlessly surprising sets. Thanks for the careful research and generous posts.
Mark
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

just wanted to point out that Rhetts Dauss with the blank back, that looks like it may have scuffing on bottom..... is in no way a blank back E135 with the card number scuffed off... besides having a different surface finish, the E135 Dauss has "GEO." rather than the "GEORGE" thats on Rhetts card.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default Paging Dr. Yeakley...

Rhett,

Do I have something here, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I am just starting out collecting this set, and already I am confused by the subtle differences in the cards.

Please let me know if I "have" anything.

Thanks, Alan

Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Rhett Yeakley

You have a Type 1 reversed back and a Type 1 normal back of Faber, which happens to be an uncommon card in the Series of 80 set. We the collective E121 seekers have never really considered the reversed back variation to be another true type or anything as there was nothing else substantive changed on back. I have seen quite a few reversed backs and they typically sell for a slight premium but you would have to find someone that cared (which aren't too many). Nice companion piece to a set.

Are you going after a set, master set, team set, etc? It is a fun set to collect. Some very rare cards are found in the Series that the hobby gives very little love to. Finding a Series of 80 Alexander Gaston will be nearly impossible as I own the only one that I have ever heard of (other than the fact it was on Lew Lipset's checklist in the 1980's but it's existence was unconfirmed until recently.)

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-08-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
You have a Type 1 reversed back and a Type 1 normal back of Faber, which happens to be an uncommon card in the Series of 80 set. We the collective E121 seekers have never really considered the reversed back variation to be another true type or anything as there was nothing else substantive changed on back. I have seen quite a few reversed backs and they typically sell for a slight premium but you would have to find someone that cared (which aren't too many). Nice companion piece to a set.

Are you going after a set, master set, team set, etc? It is a fun set to collect. Some very rare cards are found in the Series that the hobby gives very little love to. Finding a Series of 80 Alexander Gaston will be nearly impossible as I own the only one that's I have ever herd of (other than the fact it was on Lew Lipset's checklist in the 1980's but it's existence was unconfirmed until recently.)
Interesting information, Rhett. And thank you for sharing. I sent you a PM re: the font on the front of the card as well. As for me, I am just starting out on this set, and I don't really know where I am going with it. For now, it's the journey rather than the destination. Will let you know when/if I decide where I am going.

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 07-08-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was doing a little research on the web and circled back to this discussion, go figure. Has anyone got a definitive list of the E121 cards with blank backs? I am inquiring about the regular block lettering, machine cut cards.

Quote:
This thread is obviously not for everyone as I doubt there are more than a handful of us that care about these things but I have made what is IMO an important new discovery...

Over the past few years there have been a few W575-1 cards that look very different than the normal W575-1 or E121 blank back. Instead of the normal "block lettering" at bottom on front they exhibit a serif style font that resembles the E135 Collins-mcCarthy or H801 Boston Store cards minus the card # at bottom. Up to this point only three players have been found exhibiting this style font, here are the images of the known checklist (Frank owns the Kelly, Brian P. owns the Schang, and I own the Dauss)...

For comparison here is an image of what a "normal" E135 card looks like along with examples of the regular W575-1/E121 of Kelly and Schang...

Anyways, these three "serif front W575-1" cards all buck the normal trend of W575-1 cards in that while the photos are the same and that the backs are blank, they almost seem to "bridge the gap" from the earlier E135 cards and the later E121/W575-1 cards.

Now for the "NEW DISCOVERY" portion, about a week ago I was browsing ebay and came across a card that after I looked at it I could hardly believe what I was looking at but it at first appeared to be a second example of the W575-1 George Dauss card with the serif front style BUT this card was in fact NOT a W575-1 but has the regular E121 TYPE 1 back. Honestly, I never thought I would see one of these cards exhibiting a E121 back but here he is. I am really kind of at a loss for words here as this card really shouldn't exist and I have never seen another player with the serif front exhibiting an E121 back. It appears this is at least a new legitimate variation for the E121 Series of 80 collectors as it is distinctly different on front (which is what we have long considered a true variation within that set), but beyond that this also opens the door of possibilities that other players may have been made like this within the E121 set (obviously Schang and Kelly are the most likely, but still others may exist)...

I welcome any and all thoughts regarding this new card or the W575-1 "serif-style" cards.

-Rhett
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

I don't actively follow this set - but this is a reason I read N54. Cool stuff Rhett.

Z
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was doing a little research on the web and circled back to this discussion, go figure. Has anyone got a definitive list of the E121 cards with blank backs? I am inquiring about the regular block lettering, machine cut cards.
Leon, I have done some work on this myself but it is a complicated answer because in reality there are at least 5 different sets that get all grouped together as "blank backed-W575-1" and an in depth study would require differentiation between all of those to be of any real use. I can share what I have if there is interest but it will require some work.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks Rhett. With some new info it seems the E121 type-font blank backs, at least in one case, were issued in packs of 20 and there were 4 different packs totalling 80 Base Ball Stars. And I think these will not be American Caramels. I think they will be generic and issued by different companies, including at least one newspaper. Maybe they will be M-Unc's or H-Uncs etc........

Quote:
Leon, I have done some work on this myself but it is a complicated answer because in reality there are at least 5 different sets that get all grouped together as "blank backed-W575-1" and an in depth study would require differentiation between all of those to be of any real use. I can share what I have if there is interest but it will require some work.

Last edited by Leon; 01-27-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

You can get any font you want
At Yeakley's Restaurant.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.