NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Poster-Baseball Centennial

This is my first post to the site so I hope that I am following the rules and placing it in the correct forum.
I recently came across this Baseball Centennial lithographed poster commemorating 100 years of baseball. The image of Uncle Sam appears to be that of a James Montgomery Flagg, but I do not see his signature anywhere on the piece. It has been cleanly cut down the center which allowed it to fold in half and taped on the backside to hold the two halves together to facilitate use as a backer for a picture frame. It also has a couple of small tears. My dilema is this; I would like to have it restored and framed, but the cost is roughly $275. If the poster has no real monetary value I would likely not have it restored. Can someone tell me if James Montgomery Flagg was commissioned to produce the art and what the value is of this fine poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster.jpg (71.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Max Weder

Others with knowledge in this area can confirm whether it's period, but assuming it's vintage to 1939: wow.

Max

Last edited by baseballart; 07-15-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Graig Kreindler

Now that's a great first post!!!

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I don't think the lithograph is Flagg's work. He was a bit looser and juicier with his color, sometimes even having the sensibilities of a great watercolorist. I could be totally wrong, of course.

Regarding the value, I'm sure someone can chime in....

Graig
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Max Weder

One other point: if the framing and restoration cost is only $275, the price is likely low. From the restoration work I have had done, something like this would be $275 (or up) for the restoration work alone, assuming you wish professional quality restoration.

Max
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM

I've never seen that poster before. It's great. Even looks nice in its current state.

If the poster is vintage and large (you don't mention dimensions) I wouldn't be surprised to to see it sell for five figures. It has eye appeal. Which well-heeled baseball collector wouldn't want that on the wall of their hobby room?

Last edited by drc; 07-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Adam B

Wow, a stunning Baseball Centennial poster, extremely rare and would be well worth the $275 restoration cost. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. I have never seen this poster before but items commemorating the Baseball Centennial are highly sought after. If the poster is from the period, and I beleive that to be the case, than this would be a welcome addition to any collection. I hope you have it restored and post the end result.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Shawn England

Default World Series

Here it is on a cover of the 1939 World Series program...

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2005/769.html
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM

That is an awesome poster. Thanks for sharing.
Rob
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Poster

Thanks to everyone for your comments, suggestions and words of wisdom! I have no doubt that the poster is vintage simply by the way it was aquired. As mentioned, it was part of an estate where the original owner, who was elderly, used it as a backer for picture. Everything was sold as a lot and the poster was found only after taking apart the picture. I'm not so naive as to think good fakes and forgeries don't exist, but in this case it is highly doubtful.
As was pointed out, I failed to mention the overall size...roughly 14"x22". Can someone point me into a reputable appraiser of such items and/or a reputable auctioneer that specializes in baseball memorabilia? That may help me decide to either sell as is or restore and sell. In the meantime, it's going into a safe deposit box!

I'll post updates as they occur.

drc: When you mentioned 5 figures, I hope that meant a comma with no decimal points. Ha!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Barry Sloate

That's a really neat poster but I don't think it would sell for anywhere near five figures.

I would recommend you get it restored. It appears to be very heavily creased across the middle, almost cracked, so I think it would surely pay off for you to have it repaired. Definitely a beautiful item.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Jeff

Barry,
I thought the poster mentioned that it was actually cut in half. I may be mistaken.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Barry Sloate

You're correct Jeff, and I could have read his whole post.

That said, he should surely get it restored. It could also using a light cleaning and deacidification. By being kept in the frame so long, the acids from the wood have seeped into the paper. Deacidification is a really easy process and not very expensive, so that's a must.

When the poster is finished it will look gorgeous.